Filer Server OS suggestion

Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Filer Server OS suggestion
# 1  
Old 06-04-2009
Filer Server OS suggestion

Well my old server just die few days ago was running Debian on it Smilie. I just bought a new system, dual core amd, 4gb of ram, blah blah.
So this server will be running as a file server, multimedia server, web server. This is a home server.
I have about 800gb of data..
HD setup:
I have 1 x 80gb where i will install my OS
I have 3 x 500gb that ill will set up in raidz
I have 1 x 1.5tb that i will use to back up my raiz
So my question is.. Which os should i run on this server.. OpenSolaris or FreeBSD Smilie Thanks
# 2  
Old 06-04-2009
Why not Debian 5 ...!?
# 3  
Old 06-04-2009
wanted to try something else than debian Smilie

-----Post Update-----

bump!

-----Post Update-----

bump!
# 4  
Old 06-04-2009
I haven't had much luck with either, honestly. And this question may be a religious war waiting to happen. :P
# 5  
Old 06-04-2009
OpenSolaris if you want to use ZFS, it's where the development is done and you're more likely to get the support and fixes. To make things easier I would suggest you take the "stable" 2009.06 version and add the contrib repository.

Personally I wouldn't have thought either was an obvious choice for a machine where the roles include multimedia. Solaris & OpenSolaris a fair bit weaker than others for multimedia ( I am a full time Solaris & OpenSolaris user ) and I haven't really had much luck with FreeBSD for that role either.

How about going half way and using Nextenta or Benelix or one of the other OpenSolaris distributions that have the features that can't go into OpenSolaris directly for various reasons?

Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Netapp filer details - command?

What command can I use to find out details about a netapp filer. I have a directory that is a filer i would like to know details about the source host/folder that it points to. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jjohnson
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Autosys Config file update on a read-only filer

Hi To All Genius out there, We are running autosys application on solaris 10. In autosys we have a configuration file that contains an Autosys instance configuration data and is located on a NFS filer on which we have a read-only access. Our Autosys environment is on a dual server mode(Active... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whn_chips_r_dwn
0 Replies

3. UNIX and Linux Applications

Autosys Config file update on a read-only filer

Hi To All Genius out there, We are running autosys application on solaris 10. In autosys we have a configuration file that contains an Autosys instance configuration data and is located on a NFS filer on which we have a read-only access. Our Autosys environment is on a dual server... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: whn_chips_r_dwn
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to filer a line in special condition?

Hi, I hava log file which has the following output : Created RELEASE in dist/filename_release_1_0_20090210.zip Created RELEASE in dist/filename_release_1_1_20090210.zip Created RELEASE in dist/filename_release_1_3_20090210.zip Created RELEASE in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
6 Replies

5. Solaris

Connect Solaris 10 to NetApp filer using Emulex single port HBAs.

Hi, I'm connecting a Solaris 10 server to a Netapp filer with two single port Emulex (Sun StorageTek PCI-X Enterprise 4GB FC HBA) HBAs. After physically installing both these HBAs what do I ned to do within Solaris 10 to enable them and configure them with persistent bindings. Do I need... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
6 Replies

6. Solaris

Netapp filer LUN Resize. Commands to run on Solaris afterwards.

Hi, I need to increase a veritas filesystem I have currently mounted on a Solaris 10 server. We can resize the LUN on the NetApp filer no problem. What I need to know is what do I do next on the Solaris 10 server I have so that it will see the increase in size. Do I run 'devfsadm' to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwhelan
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need your suggestion please..

can anyone rite here guide me. i want to know which reference books that all of you recommended for C Shell dummies like me...(beginner) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: unknown2205
1 Replies

8. Programming

I want a suggestion

I am a student and I love the computer very much , especially in programming. However I know little about programming . I don't know which I should learn (JAVA and C++). Would you like to give me a suggestion ? Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: camel
6 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question