copying strings...

Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting copying strings...
# 1  
Old 11-04-2006
copying strings...

hey
i want to know the unix command for copying 1 string to another and allso adding a third string to the result.
for eg:
a
b="nbno"
c="uioio"
i want to copy contents of b to a and the append the contents of c to the contents of a and the result shud be in string a
# 2  
Old 11-04-2006
Code:
a="$b"   # Copy b into a
a="$a$c" # Append c to a
a="$b$c" # The same in one shoot

jean-Pierre.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Use strings from nth field from one file to match strings in entire line in another file, awk

I cannot seem to get what should be a simple awk one-liner to work correctly and cannot figure out why. I would like to use patterns from a specific field in one file as regex to search for matching strings in the entire line ($0) of another file. I would like to output the lines of File2 which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jvoot
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to pass strings from a list of strings from another file and create multiple files?

Hello Everyone , Iam a newbie to shell programming and iam reaching out if anyone can help in this :- I have two files 1) Insert.txt 2) partition_list.txt insert.txt looks like this :- insert into emp1 partition (partition_name) (a1, b2, c4, s6, d8) select a1, b2, c4, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nubie2linux
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Issue when using egrep to extract strings (too many strings)

Dear all, I have a data like below (n of rows=400,000) and I want to extract the rows with certain strings. I use code below. It works if there is not too many strings for example n of strings <5000. while I have 90,000 strings to extract. If I use the egrep code below, I will get error: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevertl
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge left hand strings mapping to different right hand strings

Hello, I am working on an Urdu to Hindi dictionary which has the following structure: a=b a=c n=d n=q and so on. i.e. Headword separated from gloss by a = I am giving below a live sample بتا=बता بتا=बित्ता بتا=बुत्ता بتان=बतान بتان=बितान بتانا=बिताना I need the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying lines between two strings

Hello All, I want to copy some lines from one file to other with following condition. Only lines between two specified strings should copy. Example :- "My First String " Some_Other_String .... Some_Other_String .... Some_Other_String .... "My Second String" So only... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering, copying and replacing strings

hello everybody there, I'm a new bash shell programmer and I'm dealing with a problem. To start, I have a file with a number of string lines which may contain a particular string or not. I have to write a code that identifies the line containing one particular string and keeps it, but also writes... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: leaf
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete lines in file containing duplicate strings, keeping longer strings

The question is not as simple as the title... I have a file, it looks like this <string name="string1">RZ-LED</string> <string name="string2">2.0</string> <string name="string2">Version 2.0</string> <string name="string3">BP</string> I would like to check for duplicate entries of... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raidzero
11 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Copying of multiple columns of one table to another by mapping with particular strings.

Hi, I would like to copy some columns from a particular file by mapping with the string names. i am using the .csv file format. my one file consist of 100 of columns but i want only particular 4 columns such as ( First_name, Middle_name,Last_name & Stlc). but they are listed in many files... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsh007
15 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2

Hello guys, should be a very easy questn for you: I need to delete strings in file1 based on the list of strings in file2. like file2: word1_word2_ word3_word5_ word3_word4_ word6_word7_ file1: word1_word2_otherwords..,word3_word5_others... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: roussine
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to concatenate two strings or several strings into one string in B-shell?

like connect "summer" and "winter" to "summerwinter"? Can anybody help me? thanks a lot. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fontana
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question