How to setup basic telnet?

Operating Systems Linux SuSE How to setup basic telnet?
# 1  
Old 03-20-2004
How to setup basic telnet?

hey,

I was wondering if anybody could help me setup my telnet on my linux 7.1 machine. I need it so i can do some remote work on soem stuff i've got going when i go away next month. I've tried a few times before but it didn't work, i don't know why.

thanks for your help.
# 2  
Old 03-20-2004
what distribution of linux are you running? many of them have telnet installed by default. all you may have to do is uncomment it in your /etc/inetd.conf file. it would look something like this:
# <service_name> <sock_type> <proto> <flags> <user> <server_path> <args>

where service_name would be telnet, socket type would be tcp and so on...to uncomment the line you would remove the # at the beginning of the line.

you may however want to look into SSH. it is more secure than telnet. www.openssh.org
# 3  
Old 03-20-2004
sorry haha i forgot to say what linux i was running...it's Red Hat 7.1, i think thats all i've gotta do because i remeber doing it before with red hat 7.1 to test it on on a Virtual Machine. Thanks and i'll look into that SSH.

I went into my /etc directory and i don't have the file inetd.conf...lol. I know it should be there some where but upon doing a grep nothing turned up. I have installed the apache server, php and sql so would any of those have moved it possibly. I remeber seeing it i just can't remeber where.

Last edited by byblyk; 03-20-2004 at 02:58 PM..
# 4  
Old 03-20-2004
You will have xinetd.conf instead.
# 5  
Old 03-21-2004
where is the xinetd.conf file located? I have a xinetd.d directory but it has wu ftpd and linuxconf-web in side of it.

Last edited by byblyk; 03-21-2004 at 02:29 AM..
# 6  
Old 03-21-2004
ill move this to the linux section, as this is linux specific. i dont use redhat and i dont know where your inetd.conf/xinetd.conf would be if its not in /etc/

why dont you try :
find / | grep xinetd.conf
# 7  
Old 03-21-2004
Thanks for the help, after running the search it turned up nothing...lol. I'm going to give up and jsu ttry some other stuff because this is to annoying, i'll try that ssh instead. It'll give me a fresh start.
Login or Register to Ask a Question

Previous Thread | Next Thread

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Email server setup - basic help; tutorial for debian/Postfix/dovecot

Hello, I have been trying to setup a email server here at home, for me and a few friends. Nothing fancy, just a super basic - but secure - email server. I have been having trouble over the course of the past 2-3 weeks fumbling through various online tutorials. It shouldn't be SO hard =) ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalisco
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference Between Krb5-telnet And Ekrb5-telnet

Hi, I want to know the difference between these two services. Both are under xinetd. Both are used for enabling and disabling Telnet service. So, can somebody please explain me the difference between the two ? Thanks in advance :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Automatically login in the telnet from present telnet

Hi, I was writing one script which includes to switch to the another telnet automatically from the present telnet server. I was using rlogin but firstly it takes the same user name of the present telnet and secondly it is prompting for the password. But i want to switch to the another telnet... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Prateek
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Basic - how do I?

How do I use ls and grep together to count a certain number of files in a directory? -Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: secno
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Webpage to Telnet via Perl and Expect: Telnet problem?

Somewhat long story: I have a simple Perl CGI script that uses Expect to Telnet to a device and grab some data, and then spits it back to Perl for display on the Webpage. This works for many devices I've tried, but one device just fails, it keeps rejecting the password on this device, only... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jondo
1 Replies

6. AIX

NIM server setup on etherchannel setup environment

I know that IBM's official stance is that NIM does not work on etherchannel environment, but has anyone able to get around it? I'm working on a p5-590 LPAR system, and the NIM master and clients are all on the same frame. Any help is appreciated. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pdtak
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic networking setup in unix

I have a SunOS 5.8 box and have always downloaded & applied patches via my PC, but I want to be able to go out to sunsolve directly from the console ... however, I guess it doesn't know the IP of our domain's DNS server or something. Where are these setting held on a Sun box??? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: FredSmith
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic .profile setup

As a brand new user, I need to setup my .profile Here's what I have: # User Profile zapservices 10/4/2005 # ############################### export ORACLE_SID=S8DEV export PS_BASE=/usr/local/psft export PS_ENV=prdsfs export PS_LOGDIR=$PS_BASE/log/$PS_ENV export... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zapservices
2 Replies
Login or Register to Ask a Question