Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94649 by Perderabo on Monday 2nd of January 2006 11:28:44 PM
Old 01-03-2006
ntp gives up completely if your clock is too far off. You should set your clock so it is as close as you can get it. Is your clock 5 seconds slow or fast? No problem. Is your clock 1001 seconds(or more) too slow or too fast? Forget ntp... it will not even try to sync the clock.

ntp needs to figure out how bad your clock is. If you reboot a lot, it has to keep starting from zero. With a drift file, it writes the drift into the file. Later when ntp restarts, it rereads the drift file. So it doesn't need to start completely over.

What server are you using? Post your whole ntp config file.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
ADJTIMEXCONFIG(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 ADJTIMEXCONFIG(8)

NAME
adjtimexconfig - find kernel clock variables and save for reboots SYNOPSIS
/sbin/adjtimexconfig DESCRIPTION
This script uses adjtimex(8) to find values for the kernel variables tick and frequency that will make the system clock approximately agree with the CMOS clock. It then saves these values in the configuration file /etc/default/adjtimex so the settings will be restored on every boot, when /etc/init.d/adjtimex runs. adjtimexconfig uses the drift rate recorded in /etc/adjtime to adjust the times it reads from the CMOS clock. If you find the CMOS clock has a systematic drift, read the clock(8) or hwclock(8) manual page, modify /etc/adjtime as required, and run adjtimexconfig again. AUTHOR
Michael Meskes <meskes@debian.org>. FILES
/etc/default/adjtimex /etc/init.d/adjtimex SEE ALSO
adjtimex(8), clock(8), hwclock(8), ntpd(8) April 27, 2003 ADJTIMEXCONFIG(8)