Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94602 by Perderabo on Monday 2nd of January 2006 08:42:07 AM
Old 01-02-2006
First, I would manually adjust the clock to be closer. You're 900 seconds off assuming your 15 minutes is accurate. ntp maxes out at about 1000 seconds. Next, any errors in the logs? And check your ntp config: use a good server and use a drift file.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
ntp(n)								 Tnm Tcl Extension							    ntp(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ntp - Retrieve NTP status information. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) (RFC 1119, RFC 1305) allows to synchronize computer clocks by exchanging NTP messages. The ntp command allows to retrieve control variables from NTP peers. NTP COMMAND
ntp [options] Invoking the ntp command with options but without any command arguments allows to retrieve and change the default values. See the description of supported options below. Default values are bound to a Tcl interpreter which allows to have multiple Tcl interpreter with different defaults. ntp [options] host arrayName The ntp command sends a NTP version 3 mode 6 request to host and writes status information into the Tcl array arrayName. After suc- cessful completion, the array will contain the following elements (RFC 1305): peer.delay This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the roundtrip delay of the peer clock relative to the local clock over the network path between them, in seconds. peer.dispersion This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the maximum error of the peer clock relative to the local clock over the net- work path between them, in seconds. peer.offset This is a signed, fixed-point number indicating the offset of the peer clock relative to the local clock, in seconds. peer.precision This is a signed integer indicating the precision of the various clocks, in seconds to the nearest power of two. peer.reach This is a shift register used to determine the reachability status of the peer, with bits entering from the least significant (rightmost) end. A peer is considered reachable if at least one bit in this register is set to one. peer.srcadr This is the IP address of the peer. peer.stratum This is an integer indicating the stratum of the local clock. peer.valid This is an integer counter indicating the valid samples remaining in the filter register. It is used to determine the reacha- bility state and when the poll interval should be increased or decreased. sys.peer This is a selector identifying the current synchronization source. sys.precision This is a signed integer indicating the precision of the various clocks, in seconds to the nearest power of two. sys.refid This is a 32-bit code identifying the particular reference clock. sys.rootdelay This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the total roundtrip delay to the primary reference source at the root of the synchronization subnet, in seconds. sys.rootdispersion This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the maximum error relative to the primary reference source at the root of the synchronization subnet, in seconds. sys.stratum This is an integer indicating the stratum of the local clock sys.system A textual description of the system type. NTP OPTIONS
The following options control how NTP requests are send and how the ntp command deals with lost NTP packets. -timeout time The -timeout option defines the time the ntp command will wait for a response. The time is defined in seconds with a default of 2 seconds. -retries number The -retries option defines how many times a request is retransmitted during the timeout interval. The default number of retries is 2. SEE ALSO
scotty(1), Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Erik Schoenfelder <schoenfr@gaertner.de> Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm ntp(n)