Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux NTPD seems to be not syncing !!! Post 94592 by csaha on Monday 2nd of January 2006 01:59:49 AM
Old 01-02-2006
NTPD seems to be not syncing !!!

Hi Linux Admin Guys

My onsite server is always 15 min slow and seems like NTPD (Network Time Protocol (NTP) daemon) not running properly. can anyone suggest me how to rectify this problem? we can't seem to get NTP to properly sync the clock.

Any help is resolving the issue will be helpful. Thanks in advance to all

Thanks
Chirantan

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Ntpd

Hello, I'm looking for assitance on setting up network time protocol on my HP-ux boxes. I have edit the .conf file accordingly. And /etc/services. But whenever I try and start the service nothing happens at all. No error message, nothing. I have a SCO box as a time server and I wish... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satinet
0 Replies

2. AIX

ntpd version

How to check the ntpd version of AIX 5.3 ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alanlkw
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the ntpd deamon script

I need to replace the line daemon ntpd $OPTIONS in the following script with daemon ntpd $OPTIONS 2>&1 > /var/log/ntpd.log & what will happen? The idea of replacing is to capture the output on the console into ntpd.log file. Will this work? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: naive1977
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ntpd -gq not working

as advised and documented, i'm trying to use the ntpd -gq instead of ntpdate. The result is that clock not set. as below. However ntpdate is working ok and had set the clock correctly this is the ntp.conf file: # cat /etc/ntp.conf logfile /var/log/ntp.log driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahmad.zuhd
6 Replies

5. Debian

Ntpd slow start

on every boot, ntpd takes long time to start (after moving from dhcp to static ip). is there a way to speed it up? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orange47
1 Replies
NTPD(8) 						 Clockwatcher's Programming Manual						   NTPD(8)

NAME
ntpd - time synchronization daemon implementing NTP SYNOPSIS
ntpd [-d] [-s] [-t] OPTIONS
-d will bump the debug level by one. May be specified more than once to increment debug level by one each time. Has no effect if ntpd has not been compiled with DEBUG defined. -s will cause ntpd to not adjust the the local clock. -t will cause ntpd to modify the value of tickadj in your kernel. This will have no effect unless ntpd was compiled with SETTICKADJ defined. DESCRIPTION
NTPD is the network time synchronization daemon and is normally invoked at boot time from the /etc/rc(8) file. It implements a new revi- sion of the Network Time Protocol first described in RFC-958. It maintains the host's time synchronized with a set of distributed time servers, each with varying accurracy and reliability. Multiple time server masters may exist, but there is no requirement for election of a single master. Ntpd uses the adjtime(2) system call to slew the clock of the host by small amount in order to keep the clock synchronized. If the local clock exceeds the ``correct'' time by some threshold, then settimeofday(2) is used to make a step adjustment of the local clock. When ntpd(8) is started on the machine, it reads configuration information from /etc/ntp.conf which contains information about other ntp time servers and host specific information. Configuration information is listed one entry per line, with fields separated by whitespace. Lines which begin with a ``#'' character are treated as comments. Here is a sample configuration file: # # Local clock parameters # # Precision of the local clock to the nearest power of 2 # ex. # 60-HZ = 2**-6 # 100-HZ = 2**-7 # 1000-HZ = 2**-10 precision -7 # # intrinsic drift of local clock # tickadj 1 # # Peers Type Name # peer foo.umd.edu peer 192.5.39.94 peer bar.arpa server bogon.umd.edu passive bozo.umd.edu There are two major types of information specified in the configuration file: local host information, and remote timer server specifica- tion. The local host information is used to describe the intrinsic properties of the local host's timekeeping machinary. The commands in this group are precision, and tickadj. The precision command takes a number which describes the resolution of the local clock, as a power of two. For example, a VAX system typi- cally has a 100 HZ clock and thus a precision of -7. If the symbol _hz is defined in the namelist of /vmunix, this value is automatically set based on the value of hz. The tickadj command is used to specify the granularity of clock adjustment done by the adjtime(2) system call. If the -s option is speci- fied when ntpd is invoked, the kernel variable _tickadj is modified via /dev/kmem. The preferred method of setting tickadj is by changing the value in the kernel file conf.c instead of having ntpd set in this rude fashion. On a VAX, a value of 1 is usually used. See the README file for typical values of tickadj on various hardware platforms. Currently three timer server specifications are supported. They are peer, server and passive. Each command takes either a dotted-quad internet address or a host name. Each host specified in any one of the three commands is elligable to be synchronized to, while random hosts which set up a peer relationship are not. The peer and server commands create an active polling situation; in the case of peer, the NTP packets are sourced in Symmetric-Active mode, while using server causes the packets to be in Client mode. When reachability is lost with a configured host in either of these two cases, the daemon will continue to poll to re-acquire that host. A host specified in the passive command will not continue to be polled. If that host begins to poll us, it will be eligable as to be synchronized but will not be polled if reachability is lost. It is recommended that the bulk of the peers configured should be specified with the client keyword; this will minimize resource usage on the remote NTP server. If your host will be serving as a redistribution point for a cluster of hosts, you should set up peer relation- ships with higher quality clocks (lower stratums) and other equal stratum clocks. In other words, if you are not redistributing time to others, you shouldn't need to configure any peers in your NTP configuration; client specifications are more appropriate. NOTES
Please choose your NTP peers carefully; send mail to ntp@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU for assitance. There exists a broadcast command which will exercise completely untested code. Use at your own risk. There is no reason to believe that the hpux code which was added still works. In general, this code and adaptations of the NTPD to plat- forms without the adjtime(2) system call are not likely to be very satisfying. BUGS
No doubt. FILES
/etc/ntp.conf NTP daemon configuration file SEE ALSO
adjtime(2), settimeofday(2), RFC-958, Network Time Protocol (Version 1) Specification and Implementation, Revised 17 September 1988 AUTHORS
Louis A. Mamakos, louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU Michael G. Petry, petry@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU The University of Maryland, Computer Science Center. LOCAL
27 November 1996 NTPD(8)