Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Change IP and Hostname
Operating Systems HP-UX Change IP and Hostname Post 92572 by catwomen on Monday 12th of December 2005 09:13:06 PM
Old 12-12-2005
Java

Thanks for the quick responce.

Last edited by catwomen; 12-12-2005 at 10:23 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

How to change hostname and ip in solaris

Dear all, I am going to change the IP address and hostname in my solaris, but I don't know how to do it. If you have any idea or suggestion, please fell free to let me know. Thanks and Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PennyLi
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, ( running solaris 8 ) I know how to change the hostname temparily, by login in as root typing hostname = xxxxx but, this obviously goes when the system is rebooted. I'm not sure what files need changing to make this a permant change. Could anyone help me please? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
9 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change of Hostname

Dear All. I will like to know beside the following command "hostname hostname" what other command that can change the hostname of the Unix. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gelbvonn
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

change hostname

Hi, I asked this question whenI was running solaris 8 and got some very good answers. I've just uograded to Solaris 10 and there seems to quite a few changes so I need to know again. https://www.unix.com/showthread.php?t=8547 ------------ Hi (now solaris 10) I know how to change the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishman2001
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Solaris - unknown hostname - how can I change hostname?

Hello, I am new to Solaris. I am using stand alone Solaris 10.0 for test/study purpose and connecting to internet via an ADSL modem which has DHCP server. My Solaris is working on VMWare within winXP. My WinXP and Solaris connects to internet by the same ADSL modem via its DHCP at the same... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: XNOR
1 Replies

6. Solaris

Change hostname in Solaris 9

Please anyone guide me how to change the hostname in Solaris 9? The IP of the machie is fetched from a DHCP server. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shabu
6 Replies

7. Linux

how to change hostname permanentaly

i want to change my hostname permanentaly in my Fedora core 6. could any one tell me how it is possible .... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

Change hostname

Hello, I would like to change the hostname on a Linux server (RHEL4). I try different methods in vain : - by using hostname command - by changing /etc/hosts and /etc/hostname But after restarting server, the old hostname re-appears... :confused: And the file ./proc/sys/kernel/hostname... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmat
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change HostName

How to change host name in NCR Unix version 3.0 release 4.0 I got the OS version and OS release from executing uname -v and uname -r (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: nalina
9 Replies

10. Solaris

change hostname in SUNOS 5.10

What file I need to edit if I need to change hostname in SUN OS 5.10 Please advice ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: chuikingman1
1 Replies
ypmake(8)						      System Manager's Manual							 ypmake(8)

NAME
ypmake - rebuild Network Information Service (NIS) database using the make command SYNOPSIS
cd /var/yp make [options] [map] OPTIONS
The options argument can be used to override the default values of three special variables used by make: Instructs make to use the source files in the specified directory. The default is /var/yp/src. Instructs make to construct a domain other than the master's default domain. The DOM variable in the /var/yp/Makefile file must be set to the domain name before running make. If you run ypsetup, the DOM variable is set when you specify a domain name. Specifies the database routines used to store NIS maps. The choices are: btree -- Recommended when creating and maintaining very large maps. dbm/ndbm -- For backward compatibility. This is the default. hash -- A potentially quicker method for managing small maps. When non-null inhibits updating of the new database files using the yppush(8) function. The default is the null string. To override the default values of these special variables, an options argument format of special_variable = value is used. See the EXAM- PLES section for an example. The map argument supplied on the command line instructs make to update only the specified map. The specified maps are those located at /var/yp/{domain}, where {domain} is the NIS domain name. Some typical entries for the map argument are passwd, hosts, and networks. Typing make passwd creates and updates the NIS password database, if it is out of date. The make command distributes the updated password database to the slave servers using yppush(8). Therefore, typing make host or make networks creates and updates the host and network files, /var/yp/src/hosts and /var/yp/src/networks, respectively, on the master and slave servers. See ypfiles(4) and ypserv(8) for an overview of NIS. DESCRIPTION
The make command uses the /var/yp/Makefile file to build an NIS database. With no arguments, make creates databases for any NIS maps that are out-of-date, and then executes yppush(8) to notify slave servers that there has been a change. Note Execute the make command only at an NIS master server machine. If it is executed from either a slave server or an NIS client machine, the created changes will only be overwritten when the next NIS master server machine update, using ypxfr(8), is performed. RESTRICTIONS
You must use the same database format for each map in a domain. In addition, a server serving multiple NIS domains must use the same data- base format for all domains. Although a Tru64 UNIX NIS server that takes advantage of btree files will be able to store very large maps, NIS slave servers that lack this feature might have a much smaller limit on the number of map entries they can handle. It may not be possible to distribute very large maps from a Tru64 UNIX NIS master server to a slave server that lacks support for very large maps. NIS clients are not affected by these enhancements. EXAMPLES
This example causes make to create a password NIS map for the domain NewDomain instead of for the default domain: make DOM=NewDomain passwd SEE ALSO
Commands: make(1), makedbm(8), yppush(8), ypserv(8), ypxfr(8) Files: ypfiles(4) ypmake(8)