Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users email attachment, with a message using mailx Post 7577 by sanjay92 on Thursday 27th of September 2001 11:38:18 PM
Old 09-28-2001
This is the perfect example for sending email with attachment and the message.

http://www.uaex.edu/bknox/email_with_attachment.htm
sanjay92

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extract or save attachment of email using mailx

Hi, Could someone help me with 'Extract or save attachment of email using mailx' Thanks, Vijay ;) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kandati
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sending email with text & attachment using mailx

I spent some time working this out, with a little help from various forums, and thought the community would like to know : Here is how you can send an email from a single Unix command line : /usr/bin/echo "Email text\nNew line\nAnother new line" >x | uuencode sourcefile.txt sourcefile.txt |... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: haryadoon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to send attachment to web-based email client using mailx

hi, i am trying to send mail with attachment to web-based email client like gmail.com using mailx. the problem is it is displayed in content rather than as attachment. the code i am using is as follows, uuencode test1.txt test1.txt | mailx -s "test only" aaaa@gmail.com does anyone... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: randomcz1
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while sending message and attachment with mailx

Hi All, I am trying to send a mail with an attachment and message. Following command I am using. (cat <messagefile> ; uuencode <attachmentfile> <attachmentfile>)|mailx -s"Subject" dave@email.com In the received mail, message body is appearing fine. But attachment is not coming. Rather... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nihar.dutta
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Adding an attachment as an attachment to mailx

I don't want the attachment embedded in the mail. I would like a file attached. When I do mailx -s "Report, `date +'%D %r` " -r "Notifications" bob@bob.com < /usr/local/bin/myreport.log> /dev/null It gets embedded in my email. I want a file attachment. How do I do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx: How to send a attachment using mailx command

Hi All, Can anyone please provide the command for sending an mail with attachment using mailx command. Thanks in Advance :) Regards, Siram. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sriram.Vedula53
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Send email with attachment and body : mailx , waiting for input , signal Control D

Hi, I am trying to send email with attacment and body using "mailx" (cat body.txt; uuencode attach.txt) | mailx -s "Attachment" abc@xyz.com When i type this command, the shell is still waiting for me to enter something in standard input and press control D before it sends a mail and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aliaszero
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Mailx with attachment and message body

i have to attach the 'body in the email' along with attachment below code is throwing errors, how can i do it ? here body file contains message, it should display in email, please help i am using HP-UX (cat body ;) (uuencode attch1 attch1 ;) | mailx -m -s "testing" "abc@gmail.com" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mimesender (Perderabo): no attachment in email message

Hello, all, I have been trying to use what Perderabo has given to send attachment via email., but I am not getting the attachments, what I see on the receiving email system are the attachments contents inside the body of the received email. No attachment icon shows in the received email. I am on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

Sending email with message body and attachment

Hello experts!! I am trying to send an email with message body and attachment.but i am getting any one like message body or attachment. I tried below command: (echo "subject:test";echo "MIME-Version: 1.0";echo "content-transfer-encoding:base 64";echo "content-type:txt;name=test.txt";cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devipriya Ch
2 Replies
MIME message tool(1)					      General Commands Manual					      MIME message tool(1)

NAME
mime-tool - a simple program to construct MIME messages with attached files SYNOPSIS
mime [ -dDvV ] [ -S subject ] [ -F from-address ] [ -T to-address ] [ -C carbon-copy address ] [ -P prolog-text ] [ -E epiplogue-text ] [ -B boundry ] [ -O overall content-type ] { [ -78abiquxopm ] [ -t content-type ] filename } DESCRIPTION
The mime program constructs MIME messages with attached files. The user can specify the content type (application/octet-stream, text/plain or a user specified type), content type encoding (7bit, 8bit, binary, base64 and auto-detect), content disposition (attached or inline) and the content boundry string. The user can also specify some mail related options: subject, from-address, to-addres, carbon-copy addres, prolog-text and epilog-text. The output of the MIME-tool program can be sent directly to the mail, mailx or sendmail commands (or any other command that accepts RFC-822 formatted messages). NOTE: Specifying 7-bit encoding for an attachment that contains 8-bit data will convert any data bytes whose high-bit is set to question marks. OPTIONS
-7 7-bit ASCII encoding -8 8-bit ASCII encoding -a application/octet-stream content type -b binary encoding -d low detail debugging -D high detail debugging -s write a subpart -i disposition: inline (instead of attachment) -q quoted-printable encoding -c content-type explicit content type -t text/plain content type -o omit disposition line -u unknown encoding, auto-detect -v verbose messages -V very verbose messages -x base64 encoding -p copy existing MIME part -o omit content-disposition -m omit content-transfer-encoding -n filename override the filename in the disposition header -N don't add a filename parameter in the disposition header -0 no-op EXAMPLES
Using MIME-tool to write a mail message to a file: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net -T someone@somewhere.net file1 > test.msg Using MIME-tool with the mail command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | mail someone@somewhere.net Using MIME-tool with the mailx command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | mailx someone@somewhere.net Using MIME-tool with the sendmail command: mime -S "test message" -F me@foo.net file1 | sendmail someone@somewhere.net VERSION
This is version 1.5.topal3 from June 2009. KNOWN BUGS
Most of the header values are not properly quoted or folded, so long or complex values for these headers may cause problems. Specifically, the from-address, to-address, carbon-copy-address and content-type headers may not be properly quoted or folded. For some reason, certain e-mail clients (espcially from a large software company located in Redmond, Washington) don't seem to recognize file attachments as attachments, but instead displays them as inline attachments. (maybe this isn't MIME-tool's fault, but I've gotten a few e-mails about it, so I'm mentioning it here) AUTHOR
mime is written by Jeffrey Dutky <dutky@bellatlantic.net> Oscar Esteban spotted an off-by-one error in the base64 encoding function. Sergey Lapin spotted a bug in the filename header construction. Chris Hemphill noticed that the documentation (this manual page and the README file) didn't include any examples of how to call the program with common mail commands. Some additional fixes and additions by Phil Brooke to support Topal. AVAILABILITY
The original MIME-tool package can be downloaded from my web page at http://members.bellatlantic.net/~dutky This modified version is distributed with Topal: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/phil.brooke/topal/ MIME tool mime MIME message tool(1)