Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Hiding files in unix/linux
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Hiding files in unix/linux Post 70262 by victorvvk on Wednesday 27th of April 2005 02:32:49 AM
Old 04-27-2005
Hiding files in unix/linux

Can Anybody please help me with the command in Unix/Linux which can help me hide the files which is equal to ATTRIB in DOS

Not using . , but any commands in unix which will do this
if you any script which will do this ,it will be very helpful
Its very URGENT

Regards

Victor

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marconi
1 Replies

2. Linux

I/ps pls for migration of oraboot & orabackup files from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding migration (from Tru64 Unix to Linux 3.0) of Files :- oraboot and orabackup

Hi, I have 2 Files - oraboot and orabackup, which are correct Files in Tru64 Environment and I am trying to check whether the Files are running properly in my current Linux 3.0. (basically trying to migrate them from Tru64 to Linux 3.0). The files are neither Shell nor Perl, and just have the... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Uploading files from Mac to Unix/Linux via ssh

Ok. I am using the Terminal window to ssh into a unix server. I am not sure how to copy a file from my mac onto the unix server. What command do I enter and how do I type the file I want to upload Example. Say my file is named Test1.doc and it is on the usr/me/test/working/ directory and I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: libertyforall
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stress testing php files at Unix/Linux Command line

Hi, Your great help is very appreciated. I am looking for any Unix command or tool for doing Stress/Load test of php files at command prompt. I tried torture.pl but it is not working after20 concurrent threads/users. as it is very urgent for me..please suggest ur ideas asap. thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Malleswari
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert directory of text files to Unix/Linux Line Ending

I need help converting a directory of *.txt with Windows line ending to UTF-8 character encoding and Unix/Linux line ending. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chipperuga
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux

good evening .. I have a plea, who I can help me with a management application user rights on the files in a Unix / Linux I need for college .. .. and not told us no clue .. thank you (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alex90
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create zip/gz/tar files for if the files are older than particular days in UNIX or Linux?

I need a script file for backup (zip or tar or gz) of old log files in our unix server (causing the space problem). Could you please help me to create the zip or gz files for each log files in current directory and sub-directories also? I found one command which is to create gz file for the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mallikgm
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Password hiding in UNIX

Hi guys, I use STTY command to make the password invisible. Now I need to write the password into another file pwd.txt, but in an invisible manner, something like ******. Another thing is to when I echo the content of pwd.txt I get the password I actually typed. Thanks guys. Help me out. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanalakshmi
5 Replies

10. Programming

Hiding commnd line arguments in ps command on Linux

Hi Unix lovers, I am trying to seek an explanation for a simple looking code - why it works? I found below program which hide command line argument in ps command. #include <string.h> int main(int argc, char **argv) { // process command line arguments.... // hide command... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shriashishpatil
4 Replies
mcopy(1)						      General Commands Manual							  mcopy(1)

Name
       mcopy - copy MSDOS files to/from Unix

Note of warning
       This  manpage  has been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation, and may not be entirely accurate or complete.  See the
       end of this man page for details.

Description
       The mcopy command is used to copy MS-DOS files to and from Unix. It uses the following syntax:

mcopy [-bspanvmQT] [-D clash_option] sourcefile targetfile
	  mcopy [-bspanvmQT] [-D clash_option] sourcefile [ sourcefiles... ] targetdirectory
	  mcopy [-tnvm] MSDOSsourcefile

Mcopy copies the specified file to the named file, or copies multiple files to the named directory.  The source and target  can	be  either
       MS-DOS or Unix files.

The  use  of  a	drive letter designation on the MS-DOS files, 'a:' for example, determines the direction of the transfer.  A missing drive
       designation implies a Unix file whose path starts in the current directory.  If a source drive letter is specified with	no  attached  file
       name (e.g. mcopy a: .), all files are copied from that drive.

If  only  a  single, MS-DOS source parameter is provided (e.g. "mcopy a:foo.exe"), an implied destination of the current directory (`.') is
       assumed.

A filename of `-' means standard input or standard output, depending on its position on the command line.

Mcopy accepts the following command line options:

t      Text file transfer.  Mcopy translates incoming carriage return/line feeds to line feeds when copying from MS-DOS to Unix, and  vice-
	      versa when copying from Unix to MS-DOS.

b      Batch mode. Optimized for huge recursive copies, but less secure if a crash happens during the copy.

s      Recursive copy.  Also copies directories and their contents

p      Preserves the attributes of the copied files

Q      When mcopying multiple files, quits as soon as one copy fails (for example due to lacking storage space on the target disk)

a      Text (ASCII) file transfer.  ASCII translates incoming carriage return/line feeds to line feeds.

T      Text  (ASCII) file transfer with character set conversion.  Differs from -a in the ASCII also translates incoming PC-8 characters to
	      ISO-8859-1 equivalents as far as possible.  When reading DOS files, untranslatable characters are replaced by '#'; when writing  DOS
	      files, untranslatable characters are replaced by '.'.

n      No confirmation when overwriting Unix files.  ASCII doesn't warn the user when overwriting an existing Unix file. If the target file
	      already exists, and the -n option is not in effect, mcopy asks whether to overwrite the file  or	to  rename  the  new  file  (`name
	      clashes') for details).  In order to switch off confirmation for DOS files, use -o.

m      Preserve the file modification time.

v      Verbose. Displays the name of each file as it is copied.

Bugs
       Unlike MS-DOS, the '+' operator (append) from MS-DOS is not supported. However, you may use mtype to produce the same effect:

mtype a:file1 a:file2 a:file3 >unixfile
	  mtype a:file1 a:file2 a:file3 | mcopy - a:msdosfile

See Also
       Mtools' texinfo doc

Viewing the texi doc
       This  manpage  has  been automatically generated from mtools's texinfo documentation. However, this process is only approximative, and some
       items, such as crossreferences, footnotes and indices are lost in this translation process.  Indeed, these items have no appropriate repre-
       sentation  in  the manpage format.  Moreover, not all information has been translated into the manpage version.	Thus I strongly advise you
       to use the original texinfo doc.  See the end of this manpage for instructions how to view the texinfo doc.

*      To generate a printable copy from the texinfo doc, run the following commands:

./configure; make dvi; dvips mtools.dvi

*      To generate a html copy,	run:

./configure; make html

A premade html can be found at `http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/manual/mtools.html'

*      To generate an info copy (browsable using emacs' info mode), run:

./configure; make info

The texinfo doc looks most pretty when printed or as html.  Indeed, in the info version certain examples are difficult to read due  to  the
       quoting conventions used in info.

mtools-4.0.13							      28Feb10								  mcopy(1)