Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: PIDs of background process
Operating Systems HP-UX PIDs of background process Post 61890 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 9th of February 2005 03:05:47 PM
Old 02-09-2005
$! is the pid of the most recent process, $$ is the pid of the current process, $PPID is the parent pid. In Korn shell.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

capture the process id when starting a background process

Hello all, How do I start a background process and save the process id to a file on my system. For example %wait 5 & will execute and print the process id. I can't figure out how to get it to a file. I've tried: > filename 0>filename 1>filename. Any assistance is most appreciated. Thanks, Jim... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jleavitt
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cause a process to be in background

Hi My script - main.sh, execute program1.sh in background and program2.sh in foreground . program1.sh holds the process ID of program2. program1.sh after a while needs to move the process of program2.sh to background. How? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: avnerht
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

can anybody plz tell me how can i find the background processes running. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raom
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in background process

Hi, I have a main script(main.ksh) within which I have called another script(sub.ksh). The sub.ksh script is made to run in the background using '&'. The main.ksh script logs the information in a logfile main_ddmmyy and the sub.ksh script also logs the information in the log file sub_ddmmyy.... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chella
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

background process

i gave a copy process in the background( to copy around 100GB) , while in progress, the session got terminated. when i relogged in and checked the destination folder the copying was in progress... how could it happen(copying) when the shell terminates??? :rolleyes: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinod.thayil
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Background Process

I need to submit a script that will continue to run after logging out and after a reboot or shutdown. I entered the following: nohup script & The script continues to run in the background after logging off the system but is killed after a reboot or shutdown. Any help would be greatly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: powwm
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to start background process and then kill process

What I need to learn is how to use a script that launches background processes, and then kills those processes as needed. The script successfully launches the script. But how do I check to see if the job exists before I kill it? I know my problem is mostly failure to understand parameter... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: holocene
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Capturing PIDs of same process at different instances

Hi, I'm gonna launch a process from my 'C' code. I'm gonna launch it a few times. I would like to capture the PID of that process each time I launch. I have to copy the each PIDs into a 'C' variable and I have to kill all of them when I exit from the 'C' code. My requirement is int... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryaemlinux
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make background process interact with fg process

Hi, I have written a menu driven shell script in which as per the choice, I run the another script on background. For eg: 1. get info 2)process info 3)modify info All the operations have different scripts which i schedule in background using &. However I wish to display the error... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
0 Replies
bind_to_cpu(3)						     Library Functions Manual						    bind_to_cpu(3)

NAME
bind_to_cpu - Bind execution to a specific CPU. LIBRARY
Mach Library (libmach.a) SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/resource.h> int bind_to_cpu( pid_t pid, unsigned long cpu_mask , unsigned long flag ); PARAMETERS
Specifies the target pid. You must have access rights to the pid. Specifies the CPU on which the thread should run. The target CPU is the bit index in the mask. If you set more than one bit, an error is generated. A cpu_mask of zero clears any previously set CPU binding. Specifies options to CPU binding. Currently only the option BIND_NO_INHERIT is supported. When set, this option causes child processes and threads to not inherit the CPU binding. DESCRIPTION
Upon return from bind_to_cpu, all threads of the target pid are running on the target CPU. Bound threads are not eligible for execution on any other CPU. You release CPU binding by invoking bind_to_cpu with a cpu_mask of zero. EXAMPLES
/* * Fork child process and force it to run on cpu number 3. * Processes created by the forked child will not inherit bindings. */ #include <sys/resource.h> #include <sys/sysinfo.h> #include <sys/signal.h> #include <sys/types.h> #define CPU_3 0x8 /* Bit 3 set */ main() { pid_t pid; if (pid = fork()) { /* parent */ if (bind_to_cpu(pid, CPU_3, BIND_NO_INHERIT)) { kill(pid, SIGKILL); exit(1); /* bind_to_cpu() will print error msg */ } sleep(2); /* wait for child to print CPU */ } else { /* child */ long cpu_num; sleep(1); /* wait for parent to bind CPU */ getsysinfo(GSI_CURRENT_CPU, &cpu_num, 0L, 0L, 0L); printf("child running on CPU %d ", cpu_num); } } In this example, the CPU_3 symbol is defined so that bit three in the bit mask is set. When the pid returned from the fork routine identi- fies the parent routine, the bind_to_cpu routine is called. This routine binds the child process to CPU number three, as specified in the CPU_3 symbol. When the pid returned from the fork routine identifies the child routine, the child routine sleeps to give the parent routine time to set its CPU binding. Then it uses the getsysinfo call to determine its CPU and displays its CPU with the printf routine. If the return value from the bind_to_cpu routine indicates an error, the parent process kills the child process and exits with an error status. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion, bind_to_cpu returns zero. Upon error, a -1 is returned. RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: runon(1) Functions: getsysinfo(2) delim off bind_to_cpu(3)