Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: 2489 Illegal instruction
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers 2489 Illegal instruction Post 60338 by Perderabo on Friday 14th of January 2005 10:11:20 PM
Old 01-14-2005
There is not much to go here. Illegal instruction means the cpu was about to execute a unknown instruction. This could be because the executable itself was corrupted somehow. But it usually means that the program encountered a very unexpected situation and did not handle it very well. To get technical, data overlaid other stuff on the stack and destroyed a return address causing the program to jump into data. I would look at those other error messages and see if I could make sense of them. And hopefully a MQ expert might chime in with some wisdom.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

What is an "Illegal Instruction -Core Dumped"

Hai! i am working on Digital UNIX V3.2c Work station, my program uses Pro*C, C and X-Motif calls. i am facing problem while running application saying "Illegal Instruction Core Dumped". debugger dbx shows error at a line which shows "noname". when commenting large portion of the code it runs... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samn
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Illegal instruction(coredump)

Hi I am trying to execute a simple grep command looking for records in a filename that start with 01 (grep ^01 filename) and am getting the error Illegal instruction(coredump). Has anyone any idea why this happens? Is it due to the file being corrupted? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: colinmas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Case Instruction

Hi, this is my script to make a choice between 4 : clear echo " choose a profile and enter a number" echo echo " 1- oraSTT " echo echo " 2- appSTT " echo... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
3 Replies

4. Solaris

what is that 1 in the instruction!~ (please help fast)

Hi all, make_lofs /.cdrom/<something>/<something> 1 what does this instruction mean? Note:both the "something" are obviously different . I would like to know what that 1 means, the rest of the instruction is clear!! Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: wrapster
6 Replies

5. Programming

how to discard instruction from previous signal

hello everyone, I'm having a problem doing signal handling so I post this thread to see if I could get help. I want asynchronous signal handling, that means when I'm processing a signal (signal 1), if the same signal comes (signal 2) that signal (signal 2) shall be processed; and moreover,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvhoang
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How verify that the last instruction was success ?

Hi gusys. I am developing a script that mount a filesystem ; I would like verify that this instruction has finished OK !!! I am tryin to use $? ; but I have doubt How use the if instruction with the $? variable : mount machine:/dir /dir if then action 1 else ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aggadtech08
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Openssh installation instruction ?

Hi , Currently the machine is running with Sun_ssh. I would like to move to Open_ssh. I went through google. Each link shows different directions/ways to install openssh. I am not sure which one to proceed with . Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel x86/Solaris 9 and 10 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Open_ssh installation instruction ?

Hi , Currently the machine (solaris 10 ) is running with Sun_ssh. I would like to move to Open_ssh. I went through google. Each link shows different directions/ways to install openssh. I am not sure which one to follow . Installing OpenSSH Packages - SPARC and Intel x86/Solaris 9 and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frintocf
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cp –r instruction

Pleas I want answer to this question? Pleas help me A system administrator suspects that there is an attack on his machine; he needs to make a backup of the files to check when they have been modified. For this purpose he uses the "cp -r" instruction to copy the root directory. What is the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tamer11007
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Illegal Instruction error

I keep getting a Illegal instruction error when running my MCP file below is the dump error message followed by truss log, dose anyone have any ideas? /opt/builds/bin/core: ELF 32-bit MSB core file SPARC Version 1, from 'mcp' *** Select Close or Exit from the window menu to close this window... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wpgn
12 Replies
isalist(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        isalist(1)

NAME
isalist - display the native instruction sets executable on this platform SYNOPSIS
isalist DESCRIPTION
isalist prints the names of the native instruction sets executable on this platform on the standard output, as returned by the SI_ISALIST command of sysinfo(2). The names are space-separated and are ordered in the sense of best performance. That is, earlier-named instruction sets may contain more instructions than later-named instruction sets; a program that is compiled for an earlier-named instruction sets will most likely run faster on this machine than the same program compiled for a later-named instruction set. Programs compiled for instruction sets that do not appear in the list will most likely experience performance degradation or not run at all on this machine. The instruction set names known to the system are listed in isalist(5). These names may or may not match predefined names or compiler options in the C language compilation system, ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
optisa(1), uname(1), sysinfo(2), attributes(5), isalist(5) SunOS 5.10 25 Jul 1997 isalist(1)