Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Spawning new shells from the command line in OpenStep 4.2 Post 55405 by Rocketman8541 on Friday 10th of September 2004 07:21:36 PM
Old 09-10-2004
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kelam_Magnus
[B]yeniaoer (who I suspect is the OP) filing this report under another user name. Since yeniaoer has zero posts...

sorry not me, you may want to try pm'ing the user and asking why my post was reported.

READ THE FAQ...

read it didnt see anything relevant to my question. Maybe you see something I dont?

To clarify im trying to launch new terminal windows from the command line not just change shells

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

spawning new shells using dtterm in Solaris 8

Hi all, First time poster here. Great forum. Im trying to spawn new shells and pass commands to the new shells in a solaris 8 environment utilizing dtterm and its option -e. I can successfully spawn a window utilizing the following code: /usr/dt/bin/dtterm -display <ip.address> & ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rocketman8541
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning a shell script

Hi there, I have a shell script which I need to run it from two different places on the same server, are there any specific rules I need to apply? What is the best practice to achieve this task. Regards (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: JimJim
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

spawning the same program

We have a program (reader) that reads audio files in a real-time continuous stream from a sender program. If the reader gets weird we want the sender to be able to send one command that will stop the current reader and start a new one that will be able to continue reading in the files. The sender... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laforge
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Crontab spawning multiple at processes

Hi - I need help. My user crontab is spawning multiple at processes (and multiple mencoder program starts, that exit, then restart, repeatedly), locking up my system. For example I have this entry in my crontab: $ sudo crontab -u victoria -e * * * * * ~/recordings/pvr1 * * * * *... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: gstuart
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Difference in command syntax different shells

hi, i am aa unix amateur and i am using tsh, csh and bash most of the time. i have been looking over the net to find a summary of the differences in command syntax for example: in csh and tsh you do alias whatday date while in bash and ksh you do alias whatday=date i just want more... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hobiwhenuknowme
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Differences in BASH and ASH shells regarding if command?

Guys I now have a script that's working in a BASH environment, however one line doesn't appear to be working on an embedded device that has a busybox therefore ASH shell. I've googled but there's very little I can find regarding the ASH shell. In BASH the following line works... if ] ;... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bashingaway
6 Replies

7. Programming

Problems compiling OpenStep program.

I use Ubuntu 10.4, and I installed GNUStep, Gorm (a gui builder) and ProjectCenter (the GNU alternative to Xcode) because I want to develop Objective-C apps. I opened the ProjectCenter and I created an application that displays only an empty window. I sourced the GNUstep.sh and I compiled the app. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mghis
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

lost the $ prompt - am I spawning shells??

When trying to get the correct syntax to cron a script that creates a file with the date stamp as its output, sometimes I get these results: - from the command line, I may encounter an error that leaves me without the usual $ prompt. Am I in a new shell? I try to exit it with 'exit' or :q! and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: landog
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

MAN command for various shells

Whenever I run manual page on a command I get information about arguments, syntax and so on. However, I wounder if that information is valid only for a certain shell and if yes, then for which one? In other words, would I have different man outputs for csh, ksh, bash and others? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdogadin
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Spawning a TTY shell

Hi there, I would like to understand the purpose of spawning a TTY shell? Does it mean that it will help to open up a new Windows on the current interactive shell such that when the session gets lost the other won't Any explanation will be helpful. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alvinoo
3 Replies
postwait(2)							System Calls Manual						       postwait(2)

NAME
postwait: pw_getukid(), pw_wait(), pw_post(), pw_postv(), pw_getvmax() - lightweight synchronization mechanism SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
Postwait is a fast, lightweight sleep/wakeup mechanism that can be used for synchronization by cooperating kernel threads within a single process or between separate processes. A thread calls to block. It resumes execution when it is posted by another thread, the call expires, or is signaled. If one or more posts are already pending, returns immediately. Threads using postwait are identified by their ukid. A thread retrieves its ukid by calling It shares this ukid with anyone it chooses by any means it considers appropriate (for example, shared memory). is called with a timeout ts. If ts is NULL, the thread will not timeout. It will remain blocked until posted or a signal wakes it up. If ts points to a zero-valued timespec, will return immediately with a value (and indicating whether or not it was posted. If ts points to a timespec whose value is greater than zero, the thread will block for that amount of time unless it is posted or inter- rupted by a signal, in which case the timespec pointed to by ts is updated with the remaining time. The return value and are set to indi- cate the reason the call returned. is used to post many threads with a single call. It posts to all threads in the targets array. An value for each target is returned in the errors array. (0 indicates success.) If the errors pointer is zero, no target-specific errors are copied out. There is a maximum number of threads that can be posted with a single call. This value is returned by Posts sent to a kernel thread that already has a post pending against it are discarded. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 if it succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if posted, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if the post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns 0 if every post succeeds, -1 otherwise. returns the maximum number of kernel threads that can be posted with a single call to ERRORS
sets to one of the following values if it fails: ukid points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. sets to one of the following values if it fails: was called with a timeout of 0 but the caller has no post(s) pending. was called with a timeout that expired. ts points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. was interrupted by a signal. The timespec pointed to by ts is invalid. sets to one of the following values if it fails: The ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. sets to one of the following values if it fails: targets points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. errors points to an illegal address. The reliable detection of this error is implementation dependent. count is less than 0. count exceeds the maximum value (as returned by A ukid refers to a non-existent kernel thread. postwait(2)