Sponsored Content
Special Forums Hardware Filesystems, Disks and Memory cannot load any operating system Post 54074 by Derrek on Sunday 1st of August 2004 06:05:38 PM
Old 08-01-2004
Quote:
Originally posted by norsk hedensk
try another harddrive.

though it could be a BIOS setting.
Heheh, I wish I had another hd to try it on. If that was the case, I'd just use the other hard drive. This computer with this hard drive has worked well for about a year. I'm sure it isn't the bios, because i haven't changed any of its settings except for boot priority when needed. Thanks for the help.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

I need the Unix operating system on disc as im new to unix. Im studying unix and x windows next year at Sheffield University and would like to get a head start. Any suggestions would be appreciated (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jeffersno1
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Operating System

Hello Everyone, I'm new to this forum and Unix. I have a couple of questions and please, excuse my ignorance. I have a spare machine which is now running MS Windows 98 and I would like to format the disk and install the Unix operating system along with Oracle 8i and SQL Server. My... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: IronBear
13 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Operating System

Can anyone give me info on networking features of the Unix Operating System please. Thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: WaveZero
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating System

Which is much more powerful as an operating system: 1. Windows 2000 2. Windows 98 3. Windows XP 4. Windows ME 5. Unix 6. Linux and why is it much more powerful than the other operating systems that i have mentioned. thanks for your info... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: alecks1975
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Operating system details

How to get operating system details of a Unix box. I want to know if an OS is a 32 bit Os or a 64 bit OS. uname -aX does not provide this detail. Thanks, Rahul. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
4 Replies

6. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Fabric Operating System

Would any of your gentlemen have come across a decent reference for the FOS in your wanderings? Brocade just seems to want to sell me classes and FAN books :/ (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Eronysis
0 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Best Operating System

Hello All, I want to install Linux on my machine, so please tell me one thing which is the best to install- 1.)Red Hat 2.)Cent OS 3.)Red Hat 4.)Ubuntu 5.)Fedora except that if there is any please tell me. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: parthmittal2007
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What's my Operating System

Can we know the operating given the IP address or DNS of the host. All I have is file://myserver/myapp (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
4 Replies

9. Android

Android (operating system)

From Wikipedia (FYI): (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies
extlinux(1)						      General Commands Manual						       extlinux(1)

NAME
extlinux - install the SYSLINUX bootloader on a ext2/ext3 filesystem SYNOPSIS
extlinux [options] directory DESCRIPTION
EXTLINUX is a new syslinux derivative, which boots from a Linux ext2/ext3 filesystem. It works the same way as SYSLINUX, with a few slight modifications. It is intended to simplify first-time installation of Linux, and for creation of rescue and other special-purpose boot disks. The installer is designed to be run on a mounted directory. For example, if you have an ext2 or ext3 usb key mounted on /mnt, you can run the following command: extlinux --install /mnt OPTIONS
-H, --heads=# Force the number of heads. -i, --install Install over the current bootsector. -O, --clear-once Clear the boot-once command. -o, --once=command Execute a command once upon boot. -r, --raid Fall back to the next device on boot failure. --reset-adv Reset auxiliary data. -S, --sectors=# Force the number of sectors per track. -U, --update Updates a previous EXTLINUX installation. -z, --zip Force zipdrive geometry (-H 64 -S 32). BUGS
I would appreciate hearing of any problems you have with SYSLINUX. I would also like to hear from you if you have successfully used SYS- LINUX, especially if you are using it for a distribution. If you are reporting problems, please include all possible information about your system and your BIOS; the vast majority of all problems reported turn out to be BIOS or hardware bugs, and I need as much information as possible in order to diagnose the problems. There is a mailing list for discussion among SYSLINUX users and for announcements of new and test versions. To join, send a message to majordomo@linux.kernel.org with the line: SEE ALSO
syslinux(1) SYSLINUX for ext2/ext3 filesystem 18 December 2007 extlinux(1)