Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP Post 51953 by kwalick on Sunday 6th of June 2004 11:34:25 AM
Old 06-06-2004
Network Install PXE/BootP/TFTP

Im trying to help my professor at school, were trying to setup a linux server, that is configured with bootp/tftp/PXE. the client computer NICs have support to boot off PXE. What we would like to do is if a client computer does not have an OS, it would boot off the server, and display a menu to the end user, the menu will display a list of Operating Systems to install on the local system, including Slackware, Redhat, Mandrake, Freebsd, Windows 2000, etc. The end user just has to pick one and it will bring up the installation of that OS on the local computer and will get all the files that it needs to install from the file server, the file server will be running samba, nfs, ftp, httpd. How would i go about setting this type of envroment up. thankyou =)

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

bootp/tftp

Hi, Setting up print queue, using SMIT on AIX And I have an option saying do I wish to make this a BOOTP/TFTP server. What exactly does this do? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick
3 Replies

2. HP-UX

HPUX -- Network Install

I have a HP box (PA RISC) rp3440. The machine does not have a CD-ROM. I need to re-install the OS. Basically a network install... How did I do a network install? Anybody know of a document for Network Installs for a HPUX 11.23? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: truejack
1 Replies

3. SCO

Network PXE load for SCO 5.0.6

I have a Dell 1850 and trying to load OS and my applications using PXE. How can I stage new servers using Network drive. Want to move away from Tape and go towards network load. Thx Sean. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: smoaref
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Install Solaris 10 through network

Hi all, I got a Fujitsu P650 server running on Solaris 9 and we are going to re-install Solaris 10 . W have a build server in a different IP segment. So we setup a boot server and /etc/ethers and /etc/bootparams are all updated. When I issue boot net -install, I'm getting the following... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohzub
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to install a network card

Hey guys, Sorry, this question might look stupid but I have no idea how to install a network card. My server is a Dell PowerEdge T105 with Debian 5.0 Lenny. My network card is a Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5722 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express. I've plugged the card innside my server and I can see... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Install over network

Hello, I have a desktop with ubuntu installed and i want to install ubuntu also to the laptop over network. I have an iso image of the ubuntu and i want to use this as install source. So i installed tftpd-hpa apache2 and dhcp3-server. mkdir /var/lib/tftpboot/ubuntu mount - o loop ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: @dagio
2 Replies

7. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi folks, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

Disable up2date --register during PXE install

Hi, I really hope someone can help me (soon :) ) as I can't work out what I'm doing wrong and google is not helpful either. Basically I have to setup 20 Dell servers with RHEL 4.8 (no, not 5, must be 4.8). Of course I have tftp and I'm trying to install them via nfs with kickstart and PXE. OS... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: columb
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Bootp/tftp issue neeeeeed help plz

i find a solution (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shady_2005
2 Replies

10. Solaris

Using VM for Network Install Failing

If this question has been answered, please provide a link. We have several Old Solaris stations that don't have a DVD but a CD. We are required to upgrade the OS on these systems from Solaris 8 to Solaris 10, and since Solaris 10 no longer provides CD's we were thinking of doing a network... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wrongway
3 Replies
info(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   info(4)

NAME
info - diskless client configuration information file DESCRIPTION
The file is a POSIX shell sourceable file which contains parameter definitions used at boot time. Typically, it will be an empty file and default values will be used for all parameters. Following is the list of parameters which can be defined in the file: Specifies the IP address of the client's private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root server defaults to the boot server. Specifies the pathname to the client's private root on the private root server. If this is not specified, the client's private root path defaults to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's private root from the private root server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies the NFS mount options to mount the client's directory from the boot server. If this is not specified, the mount options default to Specifies whether NFS should be configured as primary swap. (NOTE: In order to swap to NFS, a diskless kernel must be configured with tunable parameter set to 1.) If a diskless machine has a local swap disk and swap to NFS is not desired, the parameter should be set to the value of 1 and the diskless kernel should be configured without setting to 1. If this parameter is not specified in the file and the kernel tunable parameter is set to 1, then NFS will be configured as primary swap. If not set, this parameter defaults to a value of 1, and results in the removal of all swapfiles above the configured swap minimum (swap is specified in the client's when a disk- less client boots. This ensures that extraneous swapfiles at boot time are removed, thus freeing disk space. If is set to 0 in the file, removal of extra swapfiles is disabled. This may result in faster boot times due to the time savings in creating additional swap files. The file resides in the same directory as the client's kernel () on the boot server and is retrieved at boot time using command. By default, when a diskless client is created, an empty file is placed in the client's kernel directory. This ensures that all parameters revert to their default values (see above). If the file is not present, this is an error. EXAMPLES
An example file is shown below: FILES
info(4)