Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Accessing files/folders with spaces Post 44887 by a25khan on Thursday 11th of December 2003 09:29:08 PM
Old 12-11-2003
Computer Got it!!!!

Hi there,
actually i jus figured it out myself! when i was using the tab command to list all the prompt commands, i found the dir command. when i pressed dir it showed me the directory path in a different manner for files/folders. they files that contained spaces had a "\" behind the space! so then i realised that what if i do cd My\ Name????? i tried this n guess what it worked Smilie
seeems like i am gettin sumwhere!
Cheers

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing Files on another drive

Hey..alright heres the deal I'm going to do a triple boot if you would Win98SE, Win2K, and Redhat Linux 7.1 now I have two HDs each with 30 gigs i've allowed one HD to the OS's with 10 gigs each...the third I intend to be one for windows to pull things thats compliant with both 98 and 2k and store... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PravusMentis
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Accessing files on unix share from xp?

Sorry if the is in the wrong section, but would like to know if anyone can help with the following I am on a network using Windows XP and am having problems viewing/manipulating files on one of the shared drives, which happens to be a snap server. I have no other problems with any of the other... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrB
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing files with perl

Hello i am new to Perl and i have a question. I am trying to read a file that has the following format: 14/4/2008 8:42:03 πμ|10800|306973223399|4917622951117|1||1259|1|126|492|433||19774859454$ 14/4/2008 9:13:08 πμ|10800|306973223399|306970097423|1||1264|1|126|492|878||19774859762$... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to find folders with spaces and end of files and directories

Hi I need a script that can search through a set of directories and can locate any file or directory that has a space at the end Filename(space) Foldername(space) I then need to remove that space within the script Hope someone can help thanks in advance Treds (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 folders to find several missing files among huge amounts of files.

Hi, all: I've got two folders, say, "folder1" and "folder2". Under each, there are thousands of files. It's quite obvious that there are some files missing in each. I just would like to find them. I believe this can be done by "diff" command. However, if I change the above question a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jiapei100
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Searching for folders/parent folders not files.

Hello again, A little while back I got help with creating a command to search all directories and sub directories for files from daystart of day x. I'm wondering if there is a command that I've overlooked that may be able to search for / write folder names to an output file which ideally... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aussiemick
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

List all the files in the present path and Folders and subfolders files also

Hi, I need a script/command to list out all the files in current path and also the files in folder and subfolders. Ex: My files are like below $ ls -lrt total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 abc users 419 May 25 10:27 abcd.xml drwxr-xr-x 3 abc users 4096 May 25 10:28 TEST $ Under TEST, there are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: divya bandipotu
2 Replies

8. OS X (Apple)

Remove leading spaces from file names and folders

Hi All, I have a vexing issue with leading spaces in file names. Basically, we're moving tons of data from our ancient afp file share to Box.com and Box forbids leading spaces in files or folders. The HFS file system seems to be perfectly fine with this, but almost all other Unix file systems... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prometheon123
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing files in batch

hai, I have a list of files having extension .sy in a folder. I want to find such files and print the first two columns of the files to new extension .tmp (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sreejithalokkan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to copy files/folders and show the files/folders?

Hi, So i know we use cp -r as a basic to copy folders/files. I would like this BUT i would like to show the output of the files being copied. With the amazing knowledge i have i have gone as far as this: 1) find source/* -exec cp -r {} target/ \; 2) for ObjectToBeCopied in `find... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Imre
6 Replies
MKFONTDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MKFONTDIR(1)

NAME
mkfontdir, fonts.dir, fonts.scale, fonts.alias - create an index of X font files in a directory SYNOPSIS
mkfontdir [directory-name ... ] DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, mkfontdir reads all of the font files in the directory searching for properties named "FONT", or (failing that) the name of the file stripped of its suffix. These are converted to lower case and used as font names, and, along with the name of the font file, are written out to the file "fonts.dir" in the directory. The X server and font server use "fonts.dir" to find font files. The kinds of font files read by mkfontdir depend on configuration parameters, but typically include PCF (suffix ".pcf"), SNF (suffix ".snf") and BDF (suffix ".bdf"). If a font exists in multiple formats, mkfontdir will first choose PCF, then SNF and finally BDF. The first line of fonts.dir gives the number of fonts in the file. The remaining lines list the fonts themselves, one per line, in two fields. First is the name of the font file, followed by a space and the name of the font. SCALABLE FONTS
Because scalable font files do not usually include the X font name, the file "fonts.scale" can be used to name the scalable fonts in the directory. The fonts listed in it are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. "fonts.scale" has the same format as the "fonts.dir" file. FONT NAME ALIASES
The file "fonts.alias", which can be put in any directory of the font-path, is used to map new names to existing fonts, and should be edited by hand. The format is two white-space separated columns, the first containing aliases and the second containing font-name pat- terns. Lines beginning with "!" are comment lines and are ignored. If neither the alias nor the value specifies the size fields of the font name, this is a scalable alias. A font name of any size that matches this alias will be mapped to the same size of the font that the alias resolves to. When a font alias is used, the name it references is searched for in the normal manner, looking through each font directory in turn. This means that the aliases need not mention fonts in the same directory as the alias file. To embed white space in either name, simply enclose it in double-quote marks; to embed double-quote marks (or any other character), precede them with back-slash: "magic-alias with spaces" ""font name" with quotes" regular-alias fixed If the string "FILE_NAMES_ALIASES" stands alone on a line, each file-name in the directory (stripped of its suffix) will be used as an alias for that font. FILES
fonts.dir List of fonts in the directory and the files they are stored in. Created by mkfontdir. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). fonts.scale List of scalable fonts in the directory. Contents are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. fonts.alias List of font name aliases. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). SEE ALSO
X(1), Xserver(1), xfs(1), xset(1) X Version 11 Release 6.1 MKFONTDIR(1)