Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: frecover
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers frecover Post 314 by Neo on Wednesday 22nd of November 2000 01:17:47 AM
Old 11-22-2000
Thanks for the man page pointer. Here are my current thoughts of what I would do if this was my problem and some background discussion.

First of all, in my years of HPUX experience, I always tried to avoid using SAM. SAM does many commands when you execute a function and it is hard to debug errors, as you are discovering.

Back away from SAM, decide what you are going to do, use the HP documentation and man pages and do it, step-by-step without SAM in between you and the environment. This has always been my method-of-operating in an HPUX environment. That is not to say that SAM is 'not good' because I use it to add users, groups and other less complex tasks. However,
for non-trivial tasks or tasks that are giving errors, I immediately move from SAM to the command line.

Now, assume you are at the command line. Take a look at the files and their permissions, write them down, etc. Start your reconfiguration step-by-step. If that does not work and you get errors, for example with frecover(); I would use a system call tracing utility to find out what is the exact HPUX system call returning the error and the arguments being passed to the system call. Sometimes the return codes of the systems call are much more informative that the text messages in the console. You will have to read the detailed man pages of the system calls to get this information. Somethings you will have to go into the header files in the associated system libs and look for the #defines in the right includes to get the next level of details.

I don't recall the name of the HPUX system call trace utility, something like ptrace() or strace() or something like that. There is one however, and learning to use it will become one of your greatest sysadmin debugging tools.

However, in many cases, just executing the task from the command line, step-by-step, in a controlled manner, with lead to a discovery of the problem. It may not be necessary to go a level deeper into system call tracing; but you will surely learn a lot about your environment getting out from under SAM and into the nuts-and-bolts of the task at hand.

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

frecover

I have machine (HP-UX) 11.x and I took backup using fbackup (took 4 DDS tapes) then i did restore using frecover . the restore failed on the 4th tape . and the process killed . Can I restore only the 4th tape. or I have to do full recover from biginning ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: salhoub
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

frecover on HP 11.11

Hi, Can someone please explain how I can check whether my files were backed-up to tape. I issued this command and got an error:- # frecover -I /tmp/mth -f /dev/rmt/5m frecover(2105): did not find expected file marker frecover(5409): unable to read volume header frecover(5418): not an... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gummysweets
2 Replies

3. HP-UX

HP fbackup/frecover to SUN UNIX format?

Hi All, We have about 7 years worth of data which used the HP fbackup utility. Is there any utility to read these tapes on Solaris? The goal is to create new tapes using Legato. Do we need to download them to a box first using frecover, then copy them from SUN using Legato? Any help in... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinakumar
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

frecover command need help urgent please

Hi, I have a tape fbackup done (fbackup -f /dev/rmt/0m -i / -I index.fullfbackup) and I need to restore 3 filesystems, I would like to know the correct command and options: example: I want to restore the filesystem /data1 under /data1 and /data2 under another filesystem /datatest I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: touny
4 Replies

5. HP-UX

frecover problem

I had to do a recovery and restore from backup (using ignite & backups from fbackup job) on hpux 10.20. Problem is, all users (except root) receive error 'unknown user' when logging in (during script that checks quotas). They can still successfully log in to the system. However, the files... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrviking
9 Replies

6. Red Hat

frecover counterpart on linux

Hello All, The frecover command on HP UX gives information about the backed up file in the format- Magic Field: Machine Identification: System Identification:HP-UX Release Identification:B.11.11 Node Identification: User Identification: Record Size: Time: Media Use:0 Volume Number:1... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shamik
1 Replies
volrecover(8)						      System Manager's Manual						     volrecover(8)

NAME
volrecover - Performs volume recovery operations SYNOPSIS
/sbin/volrecover [-g diskgroup] [-sb] [-o options] [volume | medianame...] OPTIONS
Options that can be specified to volrecover are: Starts disabled volumes that are selected by the operation. Volumes will be started before any other recovery actions are taken. Volumes will be started with the -o delayrecover start option. This requests that any opera- tions that can be delayed in starting a volume will be delayed. In other words, only those operations necessary to make a volume available for use will occur. Other operations, such as mirror resynchronization, attaching of stale plexes and subdisks, and recovery of stale RAID5 parity will normally be delayed. Performs recovery operations in the background. With this option, volrecover will put itself in the back- ground to attach stale plexes and subdisks, and to resynchronize mirrored volumes and RAID5 parity. If this is used with -s, volumes will be started before recovery begins in the background. Performs no recovery operations. If used with -s, volumes will be started, but no other actions will be taken. If used with -p, the only action of volrecover will be to print a list of startable volumes. Prints the list of selected volumes that are startable. For each startable volume, a line is printed containing the following information: the volume name, the disk group ID of the volume, the volume's usage type, and a list of state flags pertaining to mirrors of the volume. State flags and their meanings are: One of the mirrors was detached by an I/O failure One of the mirrors needs recovery, but the recovery is related to an administrative operation, not an I/O failure Neither kdetach nor stale is appropriate for the volume. Displays information about each task started by volrecover. For recovery operations (as opposed to start operations), a completion status is printed when each task completes. Displays commands that volrecover would execute without actually executing them. Lim- its operation of the command to the given disk group, as specified by disk group ID or disk group name. If no volume or medianame operands are given, all disks in this disk group will be recovered; otherwise, the volume and medianame operands will be evaluated relative to the given disk group. Without the -g option, if no operands are given, all volumes in all imported disk groups will be recovered; otherwise, the disk group for each medianame operand will be determined based on name uniqueness within all disk groups. Passes the given option argu- ments to the -o options for the volplex att and volume start operations generated by volrecover. An option argument of the form pre- fix:options can be specified to restrict the set of commands that the -o option should be applied to. Defined prefixes are: Applies to all invocations of the volume utility (volume starts, mirror resynchronizations, RAID5 partity rebuilds, and RAID5 subdisk recoveries) Applies to all invocations of the volplex utility (currently used only for attaching plexes) Applies specifically to plex attach operations applies specifically to volume start operations Applies to subdisk recoveries Applies to mirror resynchronization and RAID5 parity recovery DESCRIPTION
The volrecover program performs plex attach, RAID5 subdisk recovery, and resynchronize operations for the named volumes, or for volumes residing on the named disks (medianame). If no medianame or volume operands are specified, the operation applies to all volumes (or to all volumes in the specified disk group). If -s is specified, disabled volumes will be started. With -s and -n, volumes are started, but no other recovery takes place. Recovery operations will be started in an order that prevents two concurrent operations from involving the same disk. Operations that involve unrelated disks will run in parallel. EXAMPLES
To recover, in the background, any detached subdisks or plexes that resulted from replacement of a specified disk, use the command: # volrecover -b medianame If you want to monitor the operations, use the command: # volrecover -v medianame SEE ALSO
volintro(8), volplex(8), volume(8) volrecover(8)