Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Mandrake 7.2 Installation
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Mandrake 7.2 Installation Post 30324 by onestepto on Sunday 20th of October 2002 09:53:45 PM
Old 10-20-2002
Question Mandrake multi

Hi Wintellect,
I think the jumper settings are correct. All drives are set to master as its setup for multiboot. I finally got the boot floppy sorted and written but that method would not work either. So, I tried the 'custom' install' and that's where Mandrake asks a question I can't (yet) answer. I can't find my controller card on the list of supported devices; and a check of hardware compatability lists doesn't sound promising for 7.2. (It's a CE 3700 ultraDMA 133 Mhz - but, on Auswipe's recommendation, I have avoided defining an array.) I have an Alcatel 'Speed Touch' (single port) ADSL modem and I can't find any listing for it either. That's why I was thinking I should connect my XP drive into the control card and Linux's drive straight into the motherboard. Any thoughts before I try this?

I guess falling into holes (and climbing out) is how us wannabe newbies learn. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Mandrake 8.1

Hi all, I have copied three .ISO files for Mandrake 8.1 from a Linux DVD onto my work LAN. They are: Mandrake81-cd1-inst.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd2-ext.I586.iso Mandrake81-cd3-supp.I586.isoThey're all +650M in size and I'd like to know what I need to do in order to create the three CD's... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cameron
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake installation

I have downloaded from www.linux-mandrake.com and have got everything as separate files. My question is how do I know which to put on which cd's? one of the folders is over 1.5 gig so how do I know? and I can't just download the ISO's it takes ages for me to download. ty (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: darryll777
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 7.0 and X

I have problems. I have to use Mandrake 7.0 for a college course and I have it installed and I can do all the command line stuff, but I want to get to the GUI. Problem is, I can't start X. SO, after doing some searching on google, I downloaded XFree86 4.0.1 and the latest driver for my video... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ober5861
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake and os X

can i run mac os X stuff in mandrake? on a intel computer? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Mandrake

I read the old posts about dual booting windows and linux, and I just wanted to clarify something: If I buy the mandrake version of linux, will that by itself partition the hard drive, or do I still have to get a copy of partition magic? If the mandrake version can do it, is it an easy process? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: luke314pi
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help mandrake os

my hdd root dir keeps dumping on me but when i install i use native linux format i i lost again yesterday is there a recovery methead? or a safe mode that i can go into ? i made a boot disk is it wise to let the formater program to auto alcate? give me a 5gb root drive and a 37gb home i relly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2000
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mandrake 10

i just got mandrake 10 and i installed xine the latest why does it crash my xserver and how do i fix this problem in mandrake 8 - 9.2 i had no problmes with xine until now with 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amicrawler2004
2 Replies

8. SuSE

mandrake problem

ihave mandrake 9.2 (will upgrade soon to 10) but anyways, i can't get the Hard drive or the CD-ROM or Floppy to show up on the desktop. can anyone help me out? (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: linux_newbe
11 Replies

9. Linux

mandrake

I just installed mandrake 9.2, and all I want right now is for gaim to allow me to use msn.. The version I got now is 0.59.? and I have tried to get the latest version but when I downloaded the rpm it said that there were errors... can someone help... for my rpm packaging I have went to Urpmi and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flimzzy
3 Replies

10. Linux

Mandrake 8.00 installation/Booting problem...Plz Help

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum. I have a problem with Mandrake 8.00; i have installed it on my old PC with no problems (none mentioned) but on re-booting after the installation it just hangs after listing the devices: Hard Disk, CD-ROM & Floppy A. I have installed it on Packard Bell with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sybella1
2 Replies
volcheck(1)							   User Commands						       volcheck(1)

NAME
volcheck - checks for media in a drive and by default checks all floppy media SYNOPSIS
volcheck [-v] [-i secs] [-t secs] pathname DESCRIPTION
The volcheck utility tells Volume Management to look at each dev/pathname in sequence and determine if new media has been inserted in the drive. The default action is to volcheck all checkable media managed by volume management. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -i secs Set the frequency of device checking to secs seconds. The default is 2 seconds. The minimum frequency is 1 second. -t secs Check the named device(s) for the next secs seconds. The maximum number of seconds allowed is 28800, which is 8 hours. The fre- quency of checking is specified by -i. There is no default total time. -v Verbose. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: pathname The path name of a media device. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample of the volcheck command. The following example example% volcheck -v /dev/diskette /dev/diskette has media asks Volume Management to examine the floppy drive for new media. The following example example% volcheck -i 2 -t 600 /dev/diskette1 & asks Volume Management if there is a floppy in the floppy drive every 2 seconds for 600 seconds (10 minutes). FILES
/dev/volctl Volume Management control port ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWvolu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
eject(1), volcancel(1), volmissing(1) rmmount(1M), vold(1M), rmmount.conf(4), vold.conf(4), attributes(5), volfs(7FS) WARNINGS
Due to a hardware limitation in many floppy drives, the act of checking for media causes mechanical action in the floppy drive. Continu- ous polling of the floppy drive will cause the drive to wear out. It is recommended that polling the drive only be performed during periods of high use. SunOS 5.10 21 Feb 1997 volcheck(1)