Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Where do I start as someone who desire to become skilled in UNIX and C? Post 303002822 by drl on Saturday 2nd of September 2017 11:04:12 AM
Old 09-02-2017
Hi.

A hands-on book:
Code:
Title: Unix Programming Environment 
Author: Brian W. Kernighan, Rob Pike 
Edition: 
Date: 1984
Publisher: Prentice Hall 
ISBN: 013937681X
Pages: 357
Categories: programming, development, software engineering
Comments: 4.5 stars (64 reviews, 2017.09) at Amazon

Quote:
Designed for first-time and experienced users, this book describes the UNIX® programming environment and philosophy in detail. Readers will gain an understanding not only of how to use the system, its components, and the programs, but also how these fit into the total environment.
Still in print after all these years. From $2 (used) to $50 (new): Amazon.com: Unix Programming Environment

Then move on to other books as suggested.

Best wishes ... cheers, drl
This User Gave Thanks to drl For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to start using unix

this is probably the dumbest question but it must be asked: how can i go about getting into unix? what would be a good first unix system? where can i get it? how much will it cost me? what can i do with unix? i currently use a mac at home and a win2000 pro system at work, what is better... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aeser
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

YO help me out with unix were do I start...

My friend told me all about this Unix program I want to know were to start out and what to do with this unix program. Really anxious to learn anything about unix.cya hope you guys read this. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shinobikil
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't get DF output I desire

I currently have a shell script that creates Oracle databases configured the way we want them here. One part of it allows you to choose which file system to place the database files. This is the command which works. This produces a list of file systems from which to choose. I have been... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sewood
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Desire structure for input file

Hello Unix gurus, I have a txt file with single columns with n no of rows.like below COLUMN1 ======= AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE FFF GGG HHH . . . NNN. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanakaraju
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Users who desire to have their .profile executed must explicitly do so in the crontab entry. Why?

The .profile file should be read when the user logs in. So, there should be no need to execute .profile file again in a cron job (since the cron job is run after the user logs in). Doesn't the cron require login from the user. Then, from where does the cron execute? Please help!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: thulasidharan2k
1 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

where to start in unix

i am new to unix.i just started learning unix on my own,could u please tell me where i can get the basic of unix. . (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rohit243
4 Replies

7. Hardware

HTC Desire S vs HTC Desire C - USB Android tethering problem

Hi gurus, I have problem with android usb tethering (usb0 interface). I tried two phones HTC Desire C and HTC Desire S. With Desire C everything works as expected, usb0 automatically goes up and gains IP address and tethering is working (output bellow) HTC Desire C: Nov 6 23:32:36 HP-PC... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wakatana
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get desire line?

Hi Guys, I am newbie here and greeting to all guys of unix forum, now I want to learn unix here. I have query here, we have file where file has 20 line record, now i want display 10 to 15 line row record only, then how it possible. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
5 Replies
GEARMAN_JOB_HANDLE(3)						     Gearmand						     GEARMAN_JOB_HANDLE(3)

NAME
gearman_job_handle - Gearmand Documentation, http://gearman.info/ SYNOPSIS
#include <libgearman/gearman.h> gearman_job_st void gearman_job_free(gearman_job_st *job) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_data(gearman_job_st *job, const void *data, size_t data_size) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_warning(gearman_job_st *job, const void *warning, size_t warning_size) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_status(gearman_job_st *job, uint32_t numerator, uint32_t denominator) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_complete(gearman_job_st *job, const void *result, size_t result_size) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_exception(gearman_job_st *job, const void *exception, size_t exception_size) gearman_return_t gearman_job_send_fail(gearman_job_st *job) const char *gearman_job_handle(const gearman_job_st *job) const char *gearman_job_function_name(const gearman_job_st *job) const char *gearman_job_unique(const gearman_job_st *job) const void *gearman_job_workload(const gearman_job_st *job) size_t gearman_job_workload_size(const gearman_job_st *job) void *gearman_job_take_workload(gearman_job_st *job, size_t *data_size) Link with -lgearman DESCRIPTION
gearman_job_st are passed to worker functions to represent jobs that are being run by gearman_worker_work(). gearman_job_free() is used to free a job. This only needs to be done if a task was created with a preallocated structure. gearman_job_handle() returns the job handle(see gearman_job_handle_t for more information). gearman_job_function_name() return the name of the function that the job was set to execute against. gearman_job_unique() return the unique value that was used for gearman_job_st. returns the gearman_job_st workload. The size of it can be determined with gearman_job_workload_size(). gearman_job_take_workload() is the same as gearman_job_workload() with the exception that the result must be free(3) by the caller. RETURN VALUE
A value of gearman_return_t is returned. On success that value will be :c:type::GEARMAN_SUCCESS. Use gearman_strerror() to translate this value to a printable string. HOME
To find out more information please check: http://gearman.info/ SEE ALSO
gearmand(8) libgearman(3) AUTHOR
Data Differential http://www.datadifferential.com/ COPYRIGHT
2012, Data Differential, http://www.datadifferential.com/ 0.33 May 04, 2012 GEARMAN_JOB_HANDLE(3)