Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to grep for a string on a FILENAME? Post 302999081 by RudiC on Tuesday 13th of June 2017 04:22:29 AM
Old 06-13-2017
With more than 700 posts in 6 years, you should at least have a faint idea on how to approach this "problemcito", which you certainly don't hesitate to share so we can discuss...?
This User Gave Thanks to RudiC For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending to filename a string of text grep finds

I am wanting to automate a process that includes the step of appending to a filename a string of text that's contained inside the file. I.e. if filename A.fileA contains a string of text that reads 1234 after the phrase ABC, I want the shell script file to rename the file 1234_FileChecked_A.fileA.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep string and output filename

Hello, I have over 200 files and some of them have the string like "John price $200". I would like to grep the string. Then output the filename which found the string. I have the following script, but it ONLY output the string echo Please input list file name: read listn for file in `cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: happyv
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

using grep and print filename

Hi, I have a question on bash. Basically I would like to print a file name using bash. I am actually trying to grep a particular character in sequential files. I have alot files such that a.txt, b.txt,c.txt...etc. If I found a certain character, I would print that particular filename. I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search (grep?) filename for a string and if it contains this then...

Hi i want to write a script that will search a filename e.g. test06abc.txt for a string and if it contains this string then set a variable equal to something: something like: var1=0 search <filename> for 06 if it contains 06 then var1=1 else var1=0 end if but in unix script :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tuathan
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep -A 1 "string" filename

Dear all, can anyone pls provide equivalent of below code for solaris system.? grep -A 1 "string" filename the above command is working for Linux system. but i need same command for Solaris system thanks (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve2216
8 Replies

6. Linux

Find String in FileName and move the String to new File if not found

Hi all, I have a question.. Here is my requirement..I have 500 files in a path say /a/b/c I have some numbers in a file which are comma seperated...and I wanted to check if the numbers are present in the FileName in the path /a/b/c..if the number is there in the file that is fine..but if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff between grep .* file name and grep '.*' filename

Hi, Can anyone let me know what is difference between grep .* foo.c grep '.*' foo.c I am not able to understand what is exact difference. Thanks in advance (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SasDutta
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex for filename in grep

I want to print the filename keyword="XXTNL_AVSKRIV2ING" ftype="sql' I wan to search the keyword in all the sql files and the output shoul dbe filename:count grep -iwc "$keyword" *.$ftype | grep -v ":0$" But the output does not dispaly the filename which contains space as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Usage of grep '^$1' filename

There is a file name list_filenames.dat, this has all the list of all files I need to encrypt, I did not understand what the following syntax is doing: grep -s "^$1" list_filenames.dat, when I manually run this command it just returns all the lines, what is the usage of this ? can someone... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: okkadu
4 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)