Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Create Pool
Operating Systems Solaris Create Pool Post 302996141 by Peasant on Thursday 20th of April 2017 12:51:52 AM
Old 04-20-2017
RAID(s) aside, consider using Oracle ASM for database instead of ZFS.
Other then that, if you need filesystems, i would strongly recommend using UFS with directio option.

Performance wise, ZFS will be a hassle to tune to achive UFS DIO or ASM performance level.
Also, fragmentation could become issue in long term usage if pool exceeds 80% occupied space.

IF you choose ASM or UFS filesystem for databases, and ZFS for rpool, be sure to limit arc cache (arc_max) to a sane value, not leaving ZFS to eat all the available memory.

I tend to avoid hardware controllers when using ZFS (let zfs handle the protection), but it's your choice.

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.
This User Gave Thanks to Peasant For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

connection pool

Hi; Can someone please explain how do connections differ from threads? or a link to a good site about connection pooling and how threads are utilized by the OS. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

project vs pool vs use

hi, i am looking for a tool to see how many CPUs, controlled by FSS inside a pool, a project used over some time.... i have a 20k with several zones inside some pools. the cpu-sets/pools are configured with FSS and the zones with different shares. Inside the zones, i use projects with FSS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pressy
2 Replies

3. Infrastructure Monitoring

zfs - migrate from pool to pool

Here are the details. cnjr-opennms>root$ zfs list NAME USED AVAIL REFER MOUNTPOINT openpool 20.6G 46.3G 35.5K /openpool openpool/ROOT 15.4G 46.3G 18K legacy openpool/ROOT/rds 15.4G 46.3G 15.3G / openpool/ROOT/rds/var 102M ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ZFS pool question

I created a pool the other day. I created a 10 gig files just for a test, then deleted it. I proceeded to create a few files systems. But for some reason the pool shows 10% full, but the files systems are both at 1%? Both files systems share the same pool. When I ls -al the pool I just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrlayance
6 Replies

5. Solaris

zfs pool migration

I need to migrate an existing raidz pool to a new raidz pool with larger disks. I need the mount points and attributes to migrate as well. What is the best procedure to accomplish this. The current pool is 6x36GB disks 202GB capacity and I am migrating to 5x 72GB disks 340GB capacity. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jac
2 Replies

6. Solaris

not able to use pool

i have this pool1 on my sun4u sparc machine bash-3.00# zpool get all pool1 NAME PROPERTY VALUE SOURCE pool1 size 292G - pool1 used 76.5K - pool1 available 292G - pool1 capacity 0% -... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sojourner
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Do I need a pool before I can mirror my disks?

Hi! I would also like to know if I need first to create a pool before I can mirror my disks inside that pool. My first disk is c7t0d0s0 and my second disk is c7t2d0s0 as seen in the figure below. I would create a pool named rpool1 for this 2 disks. # zpool create rpool1 c7t0d0p0 c7t2d0p0 ... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: CarlosP
18 Replies

8. BSD

Unable to create zfs zpool in FreeBSD 8.2: no such pool or dataset

I am trying to test simple zfs functionality on a FreeBSD 8.2 VM. When I try to run a 'zpool create' I receive the following error: # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0s1a cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or dataset # zpool create zfspool /dev/da0 cannot create 'zfspool': no such pool or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bstring
3 Replies

9. Solaris

Zpool with 3 2-way mirrors in a pool

I have a single zpool with 3 2-way mirrors ( 3 x 2 way vdevs) it has a degraded disk in mirror-2, I know I can suffer a single drive failure, but looking at this how many drive failures can this suffer before it is no good? On the face of it, I thought that I could lose a further 2 drives in each... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fishface
4 Replies

10. Solaris

Beadm create -p on another pool - making sense of it

Hi all, I am trying out Solaris 11.3 Realize the option of -p when using beadm that i can actually create another boot environment on another pool. root@Unicorn6:~# beadm create -p mypool solaris-1 root@Unicorn6:~# beadm list -a BE/Dataset/Snapshot Flags... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: javanoob
1 Replies
acl_check(3SEC) 				       File Access Control Library Functions					   acl_check(3SEC)

NAME
acl_check - check the validity of an ACL SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lsec [ library... ] #include <sys/acl.h> int acl_check(acl_t *aclp, int isdir); DESCRIPTION
The acl_check() function checks the validity of an ACL pointed to by aclp. The isdir argument checks the validity of an ACL that will be applied to a directory. The ACL can be either a POSIX draft ACL as supported by UFS or NFSv4 ACL as supported by ZFS or NFSV4. When the function verifies a POSIX draft ACL, the rules followed are described in aclcheck(3SEC). For NFSv4 ACL, the ACL is verified against the following rules: o The inheritance flags are valid. o The ACL must have at least one ACL entry and no more than {MAX_ACL_ENTRIES}. o The permission field contains only supported permissions. o The entry type is valid. o The flag fields contain only valid flags as supported by NFSv4/ZFS. If any of the above rules are violated, the function fails with errno set to EINVAL. RETURN VALUES
If the ACL is valid, acl_check() returns 0. Otherwise errno is set to EINVAL and the return value is set to one of the following: EACL_INHERIT_ERROR There are invalid inheritance flags specified. EACL_FLAGS_ERROR There are invalid flags specified on the ACL that don't map to supported flags in NFSV4/ZFS ACL model. EACL_ENTRY_ERROR The ACL contains an unknown value in the type field. EACL_MEM_ERROR The system cannot allocate any memory. EACL_INHERIT_NOTDIR Inheritance flags are only allowed for ACLs on directories. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Committed | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acl(2), aclcheck(3SEC), aclsort(3SEC), acl(5), attributes(5) SunOS 5.11 22 Apr 2008 acl_check(3SEC)