Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Create .nfo file in ISO-8859-1 or UTF-8 Post 302989367 by Chubler_XL on Wednesday 11th of January 2017 03:10:34 PM
Old 01-11-2017
As the extension you used was .nfo I'm guessing you wanted a file that uses DOS (codepage 437) characters. Quite commonly used in ANSI art.

Notepad++ is quite capable of viewing UTF-8, simply select Encoding->UTF-8.

The version of Notepad++ I have (v5.9.6.2) doesn't have CP437 encoding however most of the DOS graphics characters will display OK with Encoding->Character sets->Greek->OEM 737 or Hebrew->OEM 862

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Tips and Tutorials

Create a Solaris Jumpstart from iso

The Solaris 9 and later CD ISO images are laid out differently than previous versions of the ISO images for Solaris. If you just want to build a jumpstart and can afford the bandwidth to do so, download the Solaris DVD and use that instead. You don't need to do any of this with the DVD iso. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: reborg
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create iso file according configuration file?

Hi folks, I have the following configuration file,which contains list of directories: /tmp> cat utils.conf Backup CPSync Change_Listener_Port Create_Database Deinstall Install_CPPlugin Project_migrator I have the following command in my ksh program: mkisofs -l -L -R -V ${PACK_NAME}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nir_s
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parse XML file encoded in ISO-8859-1

Dear Friends, I have an XML file that's encoded in ISO-8859-1. I have some European characters coming in from 2 fields (Name, Comments) in the XML file. Can anyone suggest if there are any functions in Unix to read those characters? Using shell programming, can I parse this xml file? Please... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhavim
0 Replies

4. Solaris

Create an ISO image of whole system

Hi All, Please help me with this. My plan is to create an ISO image of my current solaris 8 OS.Because we use a stripped out version of solaris 8 which is different than the standard one in CD. Will dd command will do ? My idea is to create a VMware image from iso file and play it in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mkisofs to create iso

Hi all, I got the following problem. I run this command. mkisofs -o mynew.iso -l -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table base images isolinux pc_doc and I get all files from base, images, isolinux and pc_doc in the root dir of the iso. I want a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

how to re-create kick start bootable ISO

Hi All, I want to create kick start bootable ISO file. I have Centos 5.4 ISO and customized ks.cfg file. Now I need to recreate ISO with ks.cfg and content of existing ISO. During installation, it automatically should pick the kick start file and need to proceed with the installation. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to create a bootable ISO from running Linux box?

Hi All, I have one query on creating bootable ISO. I have installed Centos 5.6 and done few configuration changes which is needed for deploying my App. Later I have deployed my app. Now Centos is up and running in a dedicated box along with my app. Now I want to create the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalpeer
3 Replies

8. Linux

Help to Convert file from UNIX UTF-8 to Windows UTF-16

Hi, I have tried to convert a UTF-8 file to windows UTF-16 format file as below from unix machine unix2dos < testing.txt | iconv -f UTF-8 -t UTF-16 > out.txt and i am getting some chinese characters as below which l opened the converted file on windows machine. LANG=en_US.UTF-8... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: phanidhar6039
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to Create ISO Image of a CD/DVD in Solaris 10?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, How can I create an ISO Image of a CD/DVD from the cdrom to a temporary directory, and then use that image to burn it on a blank DVD in the cdrom in Solaris 10 1/13 OS environment? Please provide me with an example. With best regards, SS (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ssabet
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to create a file from output of vertica table query in UTF-8 format?

Hello, In my shell script, I extract table data from HP Vertica DB into a csv file using vsql -c command. But the problem is the file getting created is in binary format and hence some of the data becomes unreadable which has chinese characters as part of data. file -i filename.csv - gives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dharmatheja
2 Replies
MAKE_SMBCODEPAGE(1)													       MAKE_SMBCODEPAGE(1)

NAME
make_smbcodepage - construct a codepage file for Samba SYNOPSIS
make_smbcodepage c|d codepage inputfile outputfile DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the Samba suite. make_smbcodepage compiles or de-compiles codepage files for use with the internationalization features of Samba 2.2 OPTIONS
c|d This tells make_smbcodepage if it is compiling (c) a text format code page file to binary, or (d) de-compiling a binary codepage file to text. codepage This is the codepage we are processing (a number, e.g. 850). inputfile This is the input file to process. In the c case this will be a text codepage definition file such as the ones found in the Samba source/codepages directory. In the d case this will be the binary format codepage definition file normally found in the lib/code- pages directory in the Samba install directory path. outputfile This is the output file to produce. SAMBA CODEPAGE FILES
A text Samba codepage definition file is a description that tells Samba how to map from upper to lower case for characters greater than ascii 127 in the specified DOS code page. Note that for certain DOS codepages (437 for example) mapping from lower to upper case may be non-symmetrical. For example, in code page 437 lower case a acute maps to a plain upper case A when going from lower to upper case, but plain upper case A maps to plain lower case a when lower casing a character. A binary Samba codepage definition file is a binary representation of the same information, including a value that specifies what codepage this file is describing. As Samba does not yet use UNICODE (current for Samba version 2.2) you must specify the client code page that your DOS and Windows clients are using if you wish to have case insensitivity done correctly for your particular language. The default codepage Samba uses is 850 (West- ern European). Text codepage definition sample files are provided in the Samba distribution for codepages 437 (USA), 737 (Greek), 850 (Western European) 852 (MS-DOS Latin 2), 861 (Icelandic), 866 (Cyrillic), 932 (Kanji SJIS), 936 (Simplified Chinese), 949 (Hangul) and 950 (Traditional Chinese). Users are encouraged to write text codepage definition files for their own code pages and donate them to samba@samba.org. All codepage files in the Samba source/codepages directory are compiled and installed when a 'make install' command is issued there. The client codepage used by the smbd server is configured using the client code page parameter in the smb.conf file. FILES
codepage_def.<codepage> These are the input (text) codepage files provided in the Samba source/codepages directory. A text codepage definition file consists of multiple lines containing four fields. These fields are: o lower: which is the (hex) lower case character mapped on this line. o upper: which is the (hex) upper case character that the lower case character will map to. o map upper to lower which is a boolean value (put either True or False here) which tells Samba if it is to map the given upper case char- acter to the given lower case character when lower casing a filename. o map lower to upper which is a boolean value (put either True or False here) which tells Samba if it is to map the given lower case char- acter to the given upper case character when upper casing a filename. codepage.<codepage> - These are the output (binary) codepage files produced and placed in the Samba destination lib/codepage directory. INSTALLATION
The location of the server and its support files is a matter for individual system administrators. The following are thus suggestions only. It is recommended that the make_smbcodepage program be installed under the /usr/local/samba hierarchy, in a directory readable by all, writeable only by root. The program itself should be executable by all. The program should NOT be setuid or setgid! VERSION
This man page is correct for version 2.2 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
smbd(8) smb.conf(5) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/ <URL:ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/>) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter 19 November 2002 MAKE_SMBCODEPAGE(1)