Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Migrate /export/home from storage path to local Post 302988103 by rbatte1 on Tuesday 20th of December 2016 11:38:35 AM
Old 12-20-2016
Do you have a volume manager in play here? If so, then you might be best to use local disk to extend the volume group and then ask the volume manager to migrate the logical volume across. This should be possible with the system active, although there will be an IO overhead.

What would concern me is the target hardware and why you would want to leave the protection that a SAN gives you. Are you looking to move the data to local and then off to a new SAN, or have you now got a local disk array that you are looking to exploit? The worry is that if it is truly local disk, then the OS is responsible for every disk write and will make the thread/process wait until it is completed to the real spinning media. It might sound counter intuitive, but local disk can therefore be significantly slower that properly configured RAID or SAN disk. SAN (or a good local RAID device) will have a serious chunk of cache so it can accept the write request and signal that it is complete much faster. The SAN will then complete the action to the spinning media in its own time, leaving the OS to continue with further processing.

Can you tell us the end goal here?

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with /export/home

I'm having a problem with my /export/home directory. A few of my users are getting superblock problems when they try to save files. what's something I can do to fix the problem? I'm running Solaris 7 on an Intel so no Open Boot Prom... any help would be great. thanks.. ,AP (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anthony
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Home Network Storage Solution.

Hi All... I have never really touched any form of unix so any help would be appraciated. I am looking at creating/building another PC to add to my network for storage purposes only. Would unix be the best OS to use in this situation as all I have available to me is a very low end PC. As... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Merlyn
10 Replies

3. Solaris

automountd [24] : Mount of /export/home problem

Hi Guys, Thanks for taking the time to read the problem i having outlined below: Before i go into the problem can you please tell me what the following means? a. "dt" stands for and what does it means? Configuration Below: 1x Unix Server 2x Unix Terminals (both systems are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tlee
3 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Local NFS import / re-export using automount?

Hi, Can I do the following: On SunOS 5.8 /etc/vfstab: remote-host:/Volumes/webdata - /export/home/webdata nfs - yes rw,vers=3,soft,intr,bg,timeo=600 In /etc/auto_direct: /home/science $HOST:/export/home/webdata/science /home/science-edu ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bloyall
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/export/home question

please could someone explain what is /export/home used for ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: venhart
1 Replies

6. Solaris

A query regarding /export/home in Solaris

Friends, I am new to Solaris, but familiar with Linux. Could you throw some light on the need for /export/home directory in Solaris. In Linux, the default home directory for a normal user is /home/<username>. If domain concept is implemented, then the /home directory of server will be mounted... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saagar
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Quotas on /export/home

Hello all, I am trying to set quotas on /export/home filesystem for some of our users on a Solaris Zone I know that you would be redirecting me to some of the documentation pages, but I have already done that. The /export/home on the Zone is a Veritas FS and I cannot see an entry for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grajp002
4 Replies

8. Solaris

how to change /export/home/user dir to /home /user in solaris

Hi all i am using solaris 10, i am creating user with useradd -d/home/user -m -s /bin/sh user user is created with in the following path /export/home/user (auto mount) i need the user to be created like this (/home as default home directory ) useradd -d /home/user -m -s /bin/sh... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalyankalyan
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Understanding local access to NFS export

Hello, I've inherited an NFS setup that allows external servers to write to an NFS share on a Centos box. Here is an example line from /etc/exports (there are four entries that only are different based on server IP adress). /exports/foobar... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: KickstartUF
4 Replies

10. Solaris

How to differ local disks from attached from storage ones?

Hello. I have a solaris box with several local disks and several come from SYMMETRIX storage. Is there any way to tell format (or other util) to show only local disks? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
6 Replies
rmvol(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  rmvol(8)

NAME
rmvol - Removes a volume from an existing file domain SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/rmvol [-f] [-v] special domain OPTIONS
Forces the removal of a volume that contains one or more stripe segments without first requesting confirmation. Displays messages that describe which files are moved off the specified volume. Using this option slows the rmvol process. OPERANDS
Specifies the block device special file name, such as /dev/disk/dsk2c, of the volume that you are removing from the file domain. Specifies the name of the file domain. DESCRIPTION
The rmvol utility enables you to decrease the number of volumes within an existing file domain. When you attempt to remove a volume, the file system automatically migrates the contents of that volume to another volume in the file domain. The logical structure of the filesets in a file domain is unaffected when you remove a volume. If you remove a volume that contains a stripe segment, the rmvol utility moves the segment to another volume that does not already contain a stripe segment of the same file. If a file is striped across all volumes in the file domain, the utility requests confirmation before placing a second stripe segment on a volume that has one. Before you can remove a volume from a file domain, all filesets in the file domain must be mounted. If you try to remove a volume from an active file domain that includes unmounted filesets, the system displays an error message indicating that a fileset is unmounted. This mes- sage is repeated until you mount all filesets in the file domain. If you attempt to remove a volume from an inactive file domain, the system returns the ENO_SUCH_DOMAIN error message. A file domain is inactive when none of its filesets is mounted. In this case, the rmvol command does not remove the volume. If there is not enough free space on other volumes in the file domain to accept the offloaded files from the departing volume, the rmvol utility moves as many files as possible to free space on other volumes. Then a message is sent to the console indicating that there is not enough space to complete the procedure. The files that were not yet moved remain on the original volume. You can interrupt the rmvol process without damaging your file domain. AdvFS will stop removing files from the volume. Files already removed from the volume will remain in their new location. Interrupting an rmvol operation with the kill command can leave the volume in an inaccessible state. If a volume does not allow new allocations after an rmvol operation, use the chvol command with the -A option to reac- tivate the volume. RESTRICTIONS
You cannot run the rmvol utility while the defragment, balance, rmfset, or rmvol utility is running on the same domain. You must be the root user to use this utility. EXAMPLES
The following example removes a volume from an active file domain called accounts_dmn. The file domain contains two volumes, /dev/disk/dsk1c and /dev/disk/dsk2c. This example removes volume /dev/disk/dsk1c from the file domain: # rmvol /dev/disk/dsk1c accounts_dmn The /etc/fdmns/accounts_dmn subdirectory now has only one entry, the entry for /dev/disk/dsk2c. The following example removes one volume from a three-volume file domain. Each volume in the accounts_dmn file domain contains one segment of /usr/myfile, which is a three-way striped file: # rmvol /dev/disk/dsk3c accounts_dmn rmvol: Removing volume '/dev/disk/dsk3c' from domain 'accounts_dmn' This volume contains one stripe segment of /usr/myfile, which will be moved to another volume in the file domain that already con- tains a stripe segment of /usr/myfile. Do you want to continue? (y/n):y One volume in the accounts_dmn file domain now contains two stripe segments of myfile, which is no longer an optimally striped file. FILES
Specifies the command path. Contains file domain names and devices. SEE ALSO
addvol(8), advfs(4), advscan(8), fdmns(4), mkfdmn(8), stripe(8) rmvol(8)