Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Basename for directory variable Post 302987242 by robertkwild on Wednesday 7th of December 2016 11:23:40 AM
Old 12-07-2016
im using the
Code:
base="${dir##*/}"

doesnt work, this is what i get when i run the script

Code:
[root@robw-linux /]# bash -x test.sh
+ base=
+ echo 'is this archive for an audio tar (press 1) or an audio directory (press 2)'
is this archive for an audio tar (press 1) or an audio directory (press 2)
+ read method
+ case $method in
+ echo 'please specify full path to directory you want to be made into a tar'
please specify full path to directory you want to be made into a tar
+ read -e dir
/to_be_archived/robstest/
+ echo 'please enter ID number ie ID1234'
please enter ID number ie ID1234
+ read id
ID67
+ echo 'please specify where you want the tar file to be stored'
please specify where you want the tar file to be stored
+ read -e dest
/archived_projects/
+ tar -cf ID67_.tar /to_be_archived/robstest/
tar: Removing leading `/' from member names
+ rsync -avh ID67_.tar /archived_projects/
sending incremental file list
ID67_.tar

sent 10.32K bytes  received 31 bytes  20.70K bytes/sec
total size is 10.24K  speedup is 0.99
+ rm -f ID67_.tar
+ rm -rf /to_be_archived/robstest/

[root@robw-linux /]

Last edited by rbatte1; 12-07-2016 at 12:53 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

reverse of basename

Hi, Can someone let me know how to find the reverse of the basename i.e i have /apps/tiv/pmon/xxxx.dat and I want /apps/tiv/pmon/ Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: braindrain
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting basename and dirname variable to simply script.

Hello all, Can somebody explain to me how set up a basename and dirname variable to simplify this script. I currently have a 'infile' with the contents of FTTPDataPVC_ & BaaisDSLFeed. I need to add a basename and or dirname variable so that any additions can be made through the infile and not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: liketheshell
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed variable substitution when variable constructed of a directory path

Hello, i have another sed question.. I'm trying to do variable substition with sed and i'm running into a problem. my var1 is a string constructed like this: filename1 filerev1 filepath1 my var2 is another string constructed like this: filename2 filerev2 filepath2 when i do... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alrinno
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename problem

Hi guys if i do a=`basename -e -s /home/j/john/*` du -k -h $a | sort -nr | head -10 why when i run the script does it work but also say usage basename string any ideas thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: musicmancanora4
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

basename $0

hi, can anyone help me by saying what is basename.. i have seen this in many programs where the basename is used.... thanks, Krips (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kripssmart
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

basename

Hi, can anyone let me know how to interpret the below third line in the following code. Gone through the man pages of "basename", but no go. for f in *.foo; do base=`basename $f .foo` mv $f $base.bar done Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk and basename

im trying to extract the basename of a process running on a host processx is running at host1 as /applications/myapps/bin/processx i wanted to check if its running, then extract the basename only using: $ ssh host1 "ps aux | grep -v 'grep' | grep 'processx'" | awk '{ print basename $11}' ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaboink
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basename in subshell

Hi All, I would like to improve my bash scripting skill and found a problem which I do not understand. Task is to search and print files in directory (and subdirecories) which contains its own name. Files can have spaces in name. This one works fine for files in main directory, but not for... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: new_item
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

$(basename $0)

what is the meaning of "script_name=$(basename $0)", can someone please explain? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi200389
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Assigning basename result to another variable

This is a two part request for an assistance. I am not sure how retrieve value from basename command - line 270 -so in can be output as variable CLI_COMMAND - line 250 in whiptail input box. As coded I can input from keyboard ( stdin?) into input box using redirection. I can... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies
virt-tar-out(1) 					      Virtualization Support						   virt-tar-out(1)

NAME
virt-tar-out - Pack a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. SYNOPSIS
virt-tar-out -a disk.img /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir files.tar virt-tar-out -d domain /dir - | gzip --best > files.tar.gz DESCRIPTION
"virt-tar-out" packs a virtual machine disk image directory into a tarball. The first parameter is the absolute path of the virtual machine directory. The second parameter is the tar file to write. Use "-" to write to standard output. EXAMPLES
Download the home directories from a guest: virt-tar-out -d MyGuest /home - | gzip --best > homes.tar.gz JUST A SHELL SCRIPT WRAPPER AROUND GUESTFISH
This command is just a simple shell script wrapper around the guestfish(1) "tar-out" command. For anything more complex than a trivial copy, you are probably better off using guestfish directly. OPTIONS
Since the shell script just passes options straight to guestfish, read guestfish(1) to see the full list of options. SEE ALSO
guestfish(1), virt-cat(1), virt-copy-in(1), virt-copy-out(1), virt-edit(1), virt-tar-in(1), <http://libguestfs.org/>. AUTHORS
Richard W.M. Jones ("rjones at redhat dot com") COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Red Hat Inc. <http://libguestfs.org/> This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or (at your option) any later version. This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU General Public License for more details. You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software Foundation, Inc., 51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA. libguestfs-1.18.1 2013-12-07 virt-tar-out(1)