Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX Failed to open tape device /dev/rmt/0mn:Device busy (errno = 16) Post 302971762 by vbe on Monday 25th of April 2016 09:36:22 AM
Old 04-25-2016
Looks like you have to go and see on the server if there are no flashing led on the drive also, and take a cleaning tape with you I think it needs a feew passes of cleaning tape...

did you try offl option of mt to kick the tape out? As I suspect it will not give you back the tape... But if it works - quick give a clean, and check the drive, and be prepared to call HP support...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

"/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address" when using mt command

/dev/rmt/0: No such device or address I get this when I do a "mt -f /dev/rmt/0 rewind" This is on a Solaris 7 system. I tried devfsadm -c tape and drvconfig ; tape and both didn't work. Help please....... :confused: (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shorty
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

mt command shows /dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device

Hello guys, on my Red Hat machine the /bin/mt status command gives the output dev/tape: inappropriate ioctl for device. This messages comes up after the Server has been rebooted. Anybody an idea? Thx masterofdesaster (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: masterofdesaste
8 Replies

3. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

cygwin /dev/ttyS2: Device or resource busy

Ciao a tutti!!! il mio problema è questo: sto cercando di inviare dei comandi AT da PC a cellulare utilizzando il bluetooth e cygwin e vorrei visualizzare le risposte nella shell bash. Per farlo apro due terminali utilizzando le seguente istruzioni: xterm & Sul primo scrivo cat /dev/ttyS2 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: blianna
0 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

/dev/ttyS2 device or resource busy

Ciao a tutti!!! il mio problema è questo: sto cercando di inviare dei comandi AT da PC a cellulare utilizzando il bluetooth e cygwin e vorrei visualizzare le risposte nella shell bash. Per farlo apro due terminali utilizzando le seguente istruzioni: xterm & Sul primo scrivo cat /dev/ttyS2 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: blianna
1 Replies

5. SuSE

Tape Loader Device /dev/sgN is altering after each reboot

Dear all, we are running SLES 11 where an iscsi tape library is attached. To load the tape in a slot we are using for instance the command #mtx -f /dev/sg1 load 2 which is doing very well. But after a server's reboot the device name of the loader is now /dev/sg4 or /dev/sg5 I mean it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xunil321
1 Replies

6. Solaris

/dev/rmt is empty - Trying to make Tape Drive Functional

I have an HP Proliant DL380 with Intel Processors that I recently loaded Solaris 10 with latest patches on it. I'm trying to do a ufsdump to an HP DAT 40 tape drive via SCSI, but I can't get it to do anything because /dev/rmt is empty. I've tried the following with luck: touch /reconfigure,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvaughn
7 Replies

7. Hardware

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
1 Replies

8. Solaris

/dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved

# mt stat HP DDS-4 DAT (Sun) tape drive: sense key(0x0)= No Additional Sense residual= 0 retries= 0 file no= 0 block no= 0 mt -f /dev/rmt/0mn erase /dev/rmt/0mn: write protected or reserved. Getting error while ufsdump .... --- Dumping / to /dev/rmt/0mn --- DUMP: Date... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyingle5
5 Replies

9. Hardware

/dev/ttyS0: Device or resource busy

hello to everybody I have Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 installed on my Desktop and I have a PCI serial card in my computer and it has only one serial port. Actually I want to use this serial port for the serial communication and for that I executed this command : $ setserial -g /dev/ttyS and I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: piyush011
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

lvm swapon failed Device or resource busy

Is there a trick to mounting swap in n a lvm? I can't get it to work. # swapon -va swapon on /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: found swap signature: version 1, page-size 4, same byte order swapon: /dev/mapper/VG-lv_swap: pagesize=4096, swapsize=4294967296,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies
mt(1)							      General Commands Manual							     mt(1)

Name
       mt - magnetic tape manipulating program

Syntax
       mt [-f tapename] command [count]

Description
       The command permits the operation of a magnetic tape drive.

Options
       The  -f	flag  option  uses  the specified tape device (next argument) in place of either that tape device defined by your TAPE environment
       variable (.login or .profile) or /dev/nrmt0h.

Some operations may be performed multiple times by specifying count.  By default, performs the requested operation once.

The command argument defines the operation to be performed.  Only as many characters as are required to uniquely identify a command need be
       specified.

The following is a list of commands:

bsf		   Backspace count files.

bsr		   Backspace count records.

cache		   Allows to use the cache buffer on a tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

clhrdsf		   Clear  hardware/software problem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command is
			   restricted to root access only.

clserex		   Clear serious exception.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface

clsub		   Clear subsystem.  Works with tape drives which use the TMSCP tape controller interface This command	is  restricted	to
			   root access only.

eof, weof	   Write count end-of-file marks at the current position on the tape.

eotdis		   Disable  end-of-tape  detection.   When the end of tape is reached, the tape will run off the reel.	Only the superuser
			   can issue this command.  The command remains in effect for the device until end-of-tape detection is enabled  with  the
			   eoten command.

eoten		   Enable  end-of-tape	detection.   When the end-of-tape markers are reached, the tape is halted on the reel, between the
			   two end-of-tape markers.  Only the superuser can issue this command.  The command remains  in  effect  for  the  device
			   until end-of-tape detection is disabled with the eotdis command.  This is the default mode after a system boot.

fsf		   Forward-space count files.

fsr		   Forward-space count records.

nocache		   Disables the use of the cache buffer for any tape drive that has the cache buffer feature.

offline, rewoffl    Rewind the tape and place the tape unit off-line.

retension	   Retensions the tape.  Retension means moving the tape one complete pass between EOT and BOT.

rewind		   Rewind the tape.

status		   Print status information about the tape unit.

Examples
       This example shows how to rewind the tape
       mt -f /dev/rmt0l rewind
       This example shows how to backspace the tape nmt1h three files:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt1h bsf 3
       This example shows how to write two end-of-file marks at the current position on tape nmt6h:
       mt -f /dev/nrmt6h eof 2

Return Values
       In  shell  scripts, returns a 0 exit status when the operation(s) were successful, 1 if the command was unrecognized, and 2 if an operation
       failed.

Files
       /dev/rmt?h or /dev/rmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with rewind when closed

/dev/nmt?h or /dev/nmt?l
		 Raw magnetic tape interface with no rewind when closed

See Also
       dd(1), tar(1), ioctl(2), mtio(4), tms(4), environ(7)

mt(1)