Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Check Directory for files & Email Post 302968079 by Peasant on Thursday 3rd of March 2016 12:20:40 PM
Old 03-03-2016
You might want to try something like :
Code:
ls -al $dir > $file &&
if [ -s $file ]; then mail -s "$Subject" "$Recipients" < $file ; fi ||
printf "%s\n" "No files in directory or some other ls exit code error"

Hope that helps
Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check if 3 files have same size in directory

I need to determine if any three files have the same file size in a specified directly? I have got as far as listing the file sizes but where to go from here? ls -al |sort -n -r +4 | awq '{print $5}' Thanks in anticipation (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: oggle
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find & Copy Selected files to another Directory

I am wanting to find files within a directory that are over a certain number of days old and copy them to another directory. And unfortunately not having much luck.......is someone able to help. Would also like to add that there are literally thousands of files that I am wanting to copy in one... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hellfyre
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extracting the different files from directory & its sub directories

Hi Everyone, It would be helpful if someone helps me on this. Requirement: I have a directory which includes different types of files(for example *.java,*.class),but not restricted for only these types. I need to find the same types of file extensions from its directories and subdirectories... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rcvasu
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to find occurrences of email domains in all files in a directory

Hello Everyone! I trust you are off to a great week! Trying to output the name and count of each uniquely occurring domain in the current directory for a portion of a script I'm building. Here's what I'm stuck on: - Need to find UNIQUE occurences of domains (*@domain.com) in ALL files in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxhombre
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Just listing size, timestamp & name of files in a directory

How can I list the files in a directory and just show the file size, date stamp, timestamp and file name.. I've been trying to ls -lrt the directory to a file and then use the cut command but I'm not having any luck with getting the proper results.. I thought i could use the -f switch and count... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to check whether directory has files in it or not in shell script?

hi, I am having script in which i want to check if directory has any file in it or not. If directory contains a single or more files then and only then it should proceed to further operations... P.S.: Directory might have thousand number of files. so there might be chance of getting error... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: VSom007
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check daily files arrival in a directory

Hi All, I wanted to write a script to check if set of files exist in a directory or not for a particular day. each file has a date stamp. Now i want to implement this - -i can check files of a particular date in a particular folder -generate log and send it to through email. Big THANKS !!... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: flagboy2014
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compressing & removing files in a directory & subdirectory

Hi, I want a simple line of code that will compress files within a directory specified (parameter) and its subdirectories and also i want to remove files which are exactly 365 days old from the sysdate after this compression. Please help. Thanks, JD (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jesshelle David
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check for files and move it to another directory - ksh

I'm trying to wirte ksh script for given requirement, but i unable to achive it. In dir1 directory I need to check for the files which suffixed with .csv or .txt, If there is no files, then i need to exit. If any files found I need to move the each file found to dir2 directory. I have to repeat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kayal
4 Replies
vacation(1)						      General Commands Manual						       vacation(1)

NAME
vacation - Informs senders of mail that recipient is absent SYNOPSIS
vacation -I The vacation command returns a message to the sender of a mail message, saying that the recipient is on vacation or otherwise absent. OPTIONS
Initializes the $HOME/.vacation.pag and $HOME/.vacation.dir files. Execute this option before you modify your $HOME/.forward file. DESCRIPTION
The vacation command accepts standard input and attempts to send a vacation message to the user specified in that input, which should be a mail message. The vacation command is usually invoked in your $HOME/.forward file, which is used to forward your mail to another username. When you want vacation messages to be sent to users who send you mail, enter the following in your $HOME/.forward file: user, "|vacation user" Replace user by your username. This allows mail sent to you to be both received by you and piped to the vacation command; vacation reads the mail message, determines the sender, and sends a reply. The sender receives a vacation message, and the original mail is waiting in your mailbox when you return. When vacation is invoked without the -I option, as in the file, it reads the first line from the standard input for a From line to deter- mine the sender. If this is not present, an error message is produced. (All properly formatted incoming mail should include a From line.) No vacation message is sent if the From header line indicates that the message is from Postmaster; from MAILER-DAEMON; if the initial From line includes the string -REQUEST@; or if a Precedence: bulk or Precedence: junk line is included in the header. You must initialize vacation for your username by issuing the command vacation -I before you can use the vacation command. The vacation command expects a $HOME/.vacation.msg file containing a message to be sent back to each sender. The file should be an entire message, including any desired headers, such as From or Subject. This message will be sent only once a week to each unique message sender. (If this file does not exist, vacation uses /usr/share/lib/vacation.def, a system-wide default vacation message, if it exists.) The names of people who have sent you messages are kept in the files $HOME/.vacation.pag and $HOME/.vacation.dir. These files are created when you initialize vacation for your username with vacation -I. EXAMPLES
If your username is myra and you want to send a message once a week to each person who has sent you mail, initialize vacation by entering: vacation -I Next, add the following line to your $HOME/.forward file (create this file if it does not exist): myra, "|vacation myra" If you want to send a vacation message other than the system default message in /usr/share/lib/vacation.def, create the file in your home directory and enter the message in it. For example: From: myra@k.table (Myra Louise Minter) Subject: I am on vacation. Delivered-By-the-Graces-Of: the Vacation program I am on vacation until October 1. If you have something urgent, please telephone Lucy or Sue. -- Myra FILES
System-wide default vacation message. Contains address to which mail is forwarded. Contains the names of people who have sent you mail while the vacation command was being used. Contains the names of people who have sent you mail while the vacation command was being used. Contains your personal vacation message. SEE ALSO
Commands: mail(1), mailx(1), sendmail(8) vacation(1)