Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Regarding guidance to learn *NIX more and more Post 302965911 by sea on Thursday 4th of February 2016 12:34:15 PM
Old 02-04-2016
As i understand it now, it is something like math-task in words. (one train drives at 60mph, the other drives at 85kmh, the distance...)

In another forum, we have 'something like' that.
A user started to create threads starting with: "Programming Challenge: TASK DESCRIPTION", like:
Programming Challenge: Write a calculator, or "Programming Challenge: Read/Write from/to a socket", etc...

Those threads are well visited, and participated with a variety of solutions that could blow your mind.

Do you mean something like that, just with a little bit 'bigger projects'?
This User Gave Thanks to sea For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. What is on Your Mind?

*nix Desktops

Yeah, we all know where to find screenshots of Unix and Linux, but it would be awesome to see some of your *nix screenshots. Okay.. to explain: This is my KDE desktop on Yellow Dog Linux. I changed the background recently to a Commodore 64 theme (pretty cool) and no longer is the Konstruct Konsole... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: gnerd
25 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Looking for something like Citrix for *nix

Hi, I don't mean the client.... I mean the server - I have the client to connect to a windows citrix server already. The next best thing I can use at present is VNC (I only want remote desktop, not application sharing specifically). The thing with VNC is that when you go on you are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: d11wtq
3 Replies

3. AIX

NIM Guidance

I've just started to explore NIM and I'm looking for additional information on how to set it up and configure it. I've read through the "NIM A-Z" and have many unanswered questions. One question is how can I have the NIM server pull a mksysb of the clients and can I schedule this to happen... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: scottsl
1 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Career Guidance

Hi, I am a newbie to Unix, I was introduced to UNIX 8 months back during my Training, I was attracted to Unix as they give complete freedom. I would like to ask how can a OS Admin can go into development field of Unix. Currently I am working in a MNC in Backup- Storage Admin Domain I am... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sufi_431
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

A little guidance needed :)

Hi guys, I'm learning the ropes of BASH and am doing a few exercises to see if its sinking in but have gotten stuck on something I KNOW is looking at me right in the face but just isn't registering. I'm creating a script that needs to get specific strings from a line. So using the "ls -l... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: shadow0001
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which is the most secure *nix?

Which is the most secure *nix for home business/ office use? Would have to be fairly well up to date browser and drivers wise. Myself I seem to have settled on RedHat - I've trialled the Desktop, and am part-way through a server trial. I've essentially not managed to keep the browser as secure... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: GSO
2 Replies

7. AIX

Need guidance on VMStat

I need some guidance on the differences in observations, not sure how significantly different are they. Also, It would be nice to hear on the values and what the obvious tuning for performance missing. Observation 1 ending vmstat -v 3948544 memory pages ending vmstat -v ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Snipper
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Just need some guidance on this nawk

Hi, I am trying to debug some KSH script and it has the nawk portion below. I just want to confirm whether I understand what it does correctly. Example usage of the nawk line is run as below: nawk '/^#/ {next} $1~/^'testp.cfg'$|^'testp.cfg'\.testdb\.com\.ph$/ { c=0 while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Some guidance on scripting

Hey All, I am newbie on scripting and need some guidance from all the experts here. I am working on one project where I will check the status/health of around ten (10) solaris 10 servers. I have one central server from where I have already setup the passwordless SFTP and setup the cron... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supercops
1 Replies

10. AIX

New to AIX. Need Guidance

Hi There, I am new to AIX. I am eager to learn the AIX System administration or if there is any other prerequisite before this. Please can anyone help me or guide how to start with AIX, what all courses and certifications do I need to do. I have basic knowledge of UNIX. Please guide as I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulat302
3 Replies
smart_agetty(1) 					      Emulate agetty console						   smart_agetty(1)

NAME
smart_agetty - Emulate agetty for a non vga/framebuffer console SYNOPSIS
smart_agetty [OPTIONS] <GETTYSPEED> <GETTYDEVICE> <GETTYTERM> DESCRIPTION
smart_agetty is a wrapper script around agetty. It accepts the following options: OPTIONS
-i|-h|-L|-m|-n|-w|<options> Normal getty options. See $ man 8 agetty for more details. GETTYSPEED The speed of the getty device. GETTYDEVICE The used tty device - as listed in /dev. GETTYTERM The value to be used for the TERM environment variable. This overrides whatever init(8) may have set, and is inherited by login and the shell. DIAGNOSTICS
The following diagnostics may be issued on kmsg: Can not determine 'getty device' speed. stty speed could not autodetect the speed of the given device. unhandled stdout Autoconsole could not guess the right output console. BUGS
Please visit http://bugs.opensuse.org/ to get a guidance on how to submit bugreports. SEE ALSO
agetty(8) COPYRIGHT
2010 SuSE Linux Products GmbH, Nuernberg, Germany. AUTHOR
Lars Vogdt <lrupp@suse.de> 3rd Berkeley Distribution May 18th, 2010 smart_agetty(1)