Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX and Linux Applications Rescue "LiveCD" for UNIX (as opposed to Linux) Post 302948233 by BernP on Saturday 27th of June 2015 06:29:38 AM
Old 06-27-2015
Wrench Rescue "LiveCD" for UNIX (as opposed to Linux)

Background is I am attempting to recover/rescue an HP DL380 G5 which is running SCO Unixware 7.11. It has 3 partitions in a RAID 5 Configuration and is unable to boot with a Stage 3 boot load error.
Client has no emergency rescue disk. System is old and redundant except they suddenly need some data off it. After which it will be trashed.
So naturally I am seeking a solution to the situation.
When scouring the net I came across sysresccd.org
I found it interesting that for every version of Linux there seems to be a LiveCD which can be used to recover a broken system.
However with the Unix variant the response is "The Emergency boot Cd is specific to an installation."
I just wondered:
  • If true, why this is the case?
  • Has anyone out there tried/succeeded to create a generic (or variant specific) Unix Live/Rescue CD?
  • If one could boot a SCO/Unixware Unix system from a Linux

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Commands on Digital Unix equivalent to for "top" and "sar" on other Unix flavour

Hi, We have a DEC Alpha 4100 Server with OSF1 Digital Unix 4.0. Can any one tell me, if there are any commands on this Unix which are equivalent to "top" and "sar" on HP-UX or Sun Solaris ? I am particularly interested in knowing the CPU Load, what process is running on which CPU, etc. ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameerdes
1 Replies
volunroot(8)						      System Manager's Manual						      volunroot(8)

NAME
volunroot - Remove Logical Storage Manager hooks for rootable volumes SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/volunroot [-a | -A] OPTIONS
Specifies that all volumes on the system disk be converted back to UNIX disk partitions, not just the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. Forces removal of the private region unless it is the last one in the system. DESCRIPTION
The volunroot script can be used to restore the accessibility of the root, swap, and other file systems on the boot disk directly through disk partitions instead of through volume devices. The script also removes other changes that were made to enable booting of the system from the root volume, so that the system will boot with no dependency on the Logical Storage Manager. When used with no options, volunroot affects only the root and swap volumes, rootvol and swapvol. For volunroot to work properly, only one plex must exist for each of the affected volumes. This plex must be the one created by volrootmir or the original plex created when the root disk was encapsulated. This ensures that the underlying subdisks will have equivalent partitions defined for them on the disk. If these conditions are not met, the volunroot operation fails and none of the volumes are converted to disk partitions. The unwanted plexes can be removed using either voledit or volplex. SEE ALSO
volencap(8), voldiskadm(8), voledit(8), volintro(8), volplex(8), volrootmir(8) volunroot(8)