Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Samba file structure
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Samba file structure Post 302933311 by p2bas on Thursday 29th of January 2015 10:23:43 AM
Old 01-29-2015
John is a Windows user.

Redhat Server has been joined to the same domain with John.

I have implemented Samba on the Redhat server that will be used for file sharing, all files are located on samba server. Sharing one single directory /media/Data/Share for a specific group or user works just fine.

Now, is there a way i can create a structure in a way that when John browses the samba server from his explorer, will see only one directory (Share) and inside that the other directories (Share/Child, Share/Child1,Share/Child2...).

Note that different security permissions have to be applied to Share/Child directories for other users as well. Like NTFS permissions in a Windows box (Different security permissions for each folder without changing the Master share), see below link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2eyf1j3lx...pture.JPG?dl=0

Srv1 Share the CompanyData folder but each file inside has different security persmisions in order to allow or block access. In order to do that in samba i had to create a new share for all these folders so i can apply different security persmisions to each folder

Last edited by p2bas; 01-29-2015 at 11:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a Directory Structure to a new structure

Hi all Is it possible to copy a structure of a directory only. e.g. I have a file with the following entries that is a result of a find :- /dir1/dir2/file.dbf /dir1/dir2/dir3/file1.dbf /dir1/file.dbf I want to copy these to a directory and keep the structure however starting at a new dir... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhansrod
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

file structure

Hi, Is there a command that can help me to determain a unix file structure ? Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
7 Replies

3. Programming

Search attributes in one structure using the values from another structure

Hello Groups I am trying to find out ways of comparing a value from a 'c' structure to a value in another 'C' structure. the 'C' structure can be a List or liked list as it contains lot many records. if we loop it in both the structures it is going to consume time. I am looking for a simple... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dhanamurthy
3 Replies

4. Programming

compare XML/flat file with UNIX file system structure

Before i start doing something, I wanted to know whether the approach to compare XML file with UNIX file system structure. I have a pre-configured file(contains a list of paths to executables) and i need to check against the UNIX directory structure. what are the various approches should i use ? I... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: shafi2all
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

drop down structure in file

I have file like this 120, rahim, d40 115, rahul, d40 113, begum, d40 I want to group this file like this 120, rahim, d40 115, rahul, 113, begum, can any one help me on this thanks in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trichyselva
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

case structure in .sh file

Hi, while true do printf "$FBOLD\nPlease enter the minutes (0-59): $FREG" read MIN case "$MIN" in ||s) break 2;; *) echo "" echo "Invalid minutes, please try again.";; esac done In the above... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: milink
4 Replies

7. Programming

FILE structure - stdio.h

Hi All, I am new to linux and Programming. Inside the file stdio.h, there is a description about FILE structure. Which has many internal data members like _p, _r, _flags etc. I have written a sample code to find out the contents of the FILE structure. It opens a sample file ( FILE *fp ),... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikunjbadjatya
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

Copy certain file types recursively while maintaining file structure on destination?

Hi guys, I have just been bothered by a fairly small issue for some time now. I am trying to search (using find -name) for some .jpg files recursively. This is a Redhat environment with bash. I get this job done though I need to copy ALL of them and put them in a separate folder BUT I also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rockf1bull
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

FTP the whole file structure

Hi I need to ftp the whole file structure from various unix servers to a windows server I have a sub script for each machine and am using ftp -is:../%name%_prog.bat -i %server% on the windows side. The problem then comes with the mget command it gets all the files , but puts them in one... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madmacher
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Maintaining file structure

Hi guys, I am trying to store some output in a file and then compare it to another file. I am gathering information from 2 commands: cat /opt/jbin/server.log.tmp > A grep "ephemeral" /opt/jbin/log/server.log.2015-05-02-18 > B The contents of both file are the same. This means if I do a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junaid Subhani
3 Replies
TDBBACKUP(8)						    System Administration tools 					      TDBBACKUP(8)

NAME
tdbbackup - tool for backing up and for validating the integrity of samba .tdb files SYNOPSIS
tdbbackup [-s suffix] [-v] [-h] DESCRIPTION
This tool is part of the samba(1) suite. tdbbackup is a tool that may be used to backup samba .tdb files. This tool may also be used to verify the integrity of the .tdb files prior to samba startup or during normal operation. If it finds file damage and it finds a prior backup the backup file will be restored. OPTIONS
-h Get help information. -s suffix The -s option allows the adminisistrator to specify a file backup extension. This way it is possible to keep a history of tdb backup files by using a new suffix for each backup. -v The -v will check the database for damages (currupt data) which if detected causes the backup to be restored. COMMANDS
GENERAL INFORMATION The tdbbackup utility can safely be run at any time. It was designed so that it can be used at any time to validate the integrity of tdb files, even during Samba operation. Typical usage for the command will be: tdbbackup [-s suffix] *.tdb Before restarting samba the following command may be run to validate .tdb files: tdbbackup -v [-s suffix] *.tdb Samba .tdb files are stored in various locations, be sure to run backup all .tdb file on the system. Important files includes: o secrets.tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o passdb.tdb - usual location is in the /usr/local/samba/private directory, or on some systems in /etc/samba. o *.tdb located in the /usr/local/samba/var directory or on some systems in the /var/cache or /var/lib/samba directories. VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The tdbbackup man page was written by John H Terpstra. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 TDBBACKUP(8)