Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: BSD: Getting the WM loaded
Operating Systems BSD BSD: Getting the WM loaded Post 302932641 by sea on Friday 23rd of January 2015 03:46:54 AM
Old 01-23-2015
BSD: Getting the WM loaded

Heyas

Since freebsd has set TERM to xterm when in terminal mode, i'm very curious what its value will be in GUI mode - seems its xterm (in x11/twm) as well.. how smart Smilie Smilie

So i've installed: awesome and xorg, but when calling awesome, it talks something about invalid display.
So i've set it to set DISPLAY = :0 and tried again, but still no luck.
startx works though, brabbling about freebsd:0, so i changed DISPLAY accordingly, and retried with awesome - still no luck Smilie

Currently i'm looking for both, the systemwide awesome configuration, AND the pendant of RedHats /etc/sysconfig/desktop, which defines wich Login Manager & DE to load.

Guess i've found the 'source' folder (/usr/ports/x11-wm/awesome), but not the installed folder.

Finaly found 'a' xinitrc in /usr/local/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.
Where i've replaced twm & with awesome &, sadly without luck, though there was a change - not for the better anyway...

To summarize, i tried:
manual call
startx
xinitrc
{/etc , /usr/local/etc} /sysconfig/desktop could not be found

Even installed slim, enabled it, and when started it shows the 'session' as awesome, but when logging in, i get a naked X11, no menu, no gui, no mouse action but moving.

Curious, there is no lua package to install, but awesome is based on lua?!
Might that be related?
- No its not, package was named lua52 Smilie

What do i have to do to get AwesomeWM working on FreeBSD?

Thank you

Last edited by sea; 01-23-2015 at 08:28 AM..

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. BSD

for linux and BSD users interested in Unix system V/bsd

for all you unix/linux interested heres an online book for free that covers the basics of BSD SysV Unix commands and applications . giving the average linux user a perspective on the differences in context of the two operating systems and for BSD users covers material as a refernce guide. ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
0 Replies
AWSETBG(1)																AWSETBG(1)

NAME
awsetbg - awesome wrapper tool to set background SYNOPSIS
awsetbg [-fctaFCTA wallpaper] [-uU wallpapersetter] [-m #] [-bB fbsetrootoptions ...] [-rR path] [-l] DESCRIPTION
awsetbg is a wrapper that tries to find a suitable background setting application and then tries to set the wallpaper using that application. You do not have to configure awsetbg, since it just uses the first application it finds. Furthermore, it remembers the last wallpaper set, so you do not have to edit anything to change the wallpaper. OPTIONS
-f file Set fullscreen wallpaper. -c file Set centered wallpaper. -t file Set tiled wallpaper. -a file Set maximized wallpaper, preserving the aspect ratio. If the application chosen does not support this option, fullscreen is used as fall back. -u wallpapersetter Use the specified wallpaper setter tool. -r directory Set a random wallpaper from this directory. -F, -C, -T, -A, -U, -R Same as the lowercase options, but without remembering. -l Set the previous wallpaper. If the random feature was the last used, it will set another random wallpaper from this same directory. -i Display useful information about the best application to set the wallpaper found. -m # Use montage to create a big image (image should fit screen size). Requires montage(1). # is the number of screens (columns in montage). -p Display useful tips. -h Display help message. FILES
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/awesome/lastwallpaper or $HOME/.cache/awesome/lastwallpaper files contains the last wallpaper set to use with the -l option. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
wpsetters Wallpaper setters to use. DISPLAY Display you want to set the wallpaper on. SEE ALSO
awesome(1) AUTHORS
Julien Danjou <julien@danjou.info[1]> and others. awsetbg is derived from fbsetbg which was written by Han Boetes <han@fluxbox.org[2]>. WWW
http://awesome.naquadah.org NOTES
1. julien@danjou.info mailto:julien@danjou.info 2. han@fluxbox.org mailto:han@fluxbox.org 07/16/2012 AWSETBG(1)