Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Rhel 6.1 - How to create a kickstart file? Post 302854133 by Saplmb on Monday 16th of September 2013 07:04:17 PM
Old 09-16-2013
Rhel 6.1 - How to create a kickstart file?

Can anyone tell me how you create a kickstart file for RHEL 6.1 install? I am new to this and wanting to learn Red Hat. I have a training guide that says to create one but it does not give you instructions on how to do so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Redhat AS 3.0 Kickstart file issue

I am trying to create a custom ks.cfg file with redhat AS 3.0. I have a certain package list I would like to install so we have just the packages we need. The issue is in the file it show groups so I have removed them and added my list of packages as I would when useing this in AS 2.1 but for some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Acleoma
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

kickstart file questions

Hi, I have few questions to make this kickstart file to be more efficient: 1) I would like to reboot the server once the installation (included installed all the optional rpm) is done. 2) Is there a nicer way to install rpm packages? (Here I included the commands in my kickstart file) #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: beeloo
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kickstart File

Hi, I was able to set up a kickstart to install Red Hat Enterprise thought a network. I'm trying to enable a NTP time server in the post section of the kickstart file and also enable/disable a few services using chkconfig. I can't seam to get it to work, can anyone help ? I don't beleive i... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Georgesaa
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple script to modify kickstart file

Hi, I would like to create a script so that it will ask me the following: 1) What is the ip address? 2) What is the gateway address? 3) What is the hostname? and then put the answer to the below kickstart file (kickstart.cfg) Here I included the kickstart.cfg: # Kickstart file... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: beeloo
9 Replies

5. Red Hat

RHEL Kickstart

Hi, I am trying to install RHEL5.3 using kickstart method. Copied the rhel.iso file from DVD to http location. ks.cfg and rhel.iso files are available on a WINDOWS2008 Server (via HTTP). In ks.cfg file, provided the media path as url --url=http://xx.xx.xx.xx/RHEL53. System understanding the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: uday123
3 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL Kickstart Pre-Install script

Hey all, I'm not sure if this possible but I had tested it out manually during the installation (placed a sleep in the pre-installation) and it worked. I'm trying to have a pexpect script to log into the mysql and input a new row for the pre-installation, which will end up displaying on a web... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karljbaker
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

Does RHEL 5 provide a command to collect RHEL system log in single compress file?

Hi, I heard a command that can collect all RHEL 5 log in a single compress file before I forget. Does any body know...What the command is ? Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
4 Replies

8. Red Hat

OpenSUSE installation using RHEL / CentOS Kickstart

Hi guys I have CentOS installed on my server. I have also installed TFTP server, DHCP server. I am able to install CentOS on remote machines using PXE boot and kickstart cfg file. I would like to install OpenSUSE using CentOS kickstart file. How do I do it ? I am also fine with any other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msohail
2 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Create/remove desktop short cuts via command line RHEL 6.3....

I would like to write a script that would remove and/or create shortcuts in Gnome desktop in RHEL 6.3... I googled all over the place could never find what I needed... Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ruberked
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Trouble creating RHEL 6.5 bootable image with custom kickstart file

Hi everyone, I have a custom kickstart file from a software vendor and I'm trying to package that with a RHEL 6.5 and then attach it to a VM and install RHEL with the settings in the kickstarter file. I'm doing this from a windows PC using an app called InfraRecorder. I've extracted the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: 911Eric
0 Replies
RHNREG_KS(8)						    Red Hat Linux System Manual 					      RHNREG_KS(8)

NAME
rhnreg_ks - a program for non interactively registering systems to Red Hat Network SYNOPSIS
rhnreg_ks [OPTION]... [PACKAGE NAME]... DESCRIPTION
rhnreg_ks is a utility for registering a system with the Red Hat Network. It is designed to be used in a non-interactive enviroment (a kickstart style install, for example). All the information can be specified on the commandline or stdin. --profilename Specify the profilename that should be used as an identifier for the system in Red Hat Network --username The username to register the system with under Red Hat Network. This can be an existing Red Hat Network username, or a new username. --password The password associated with the username specified with the --username option. This is an unencrypted password. --orgid Specify an organizational id of the org to register this system under. This is optional, and only used if registered a system to an existing Red Hat Network organization. --orgpassword The password assocated with the orgig specified with the --orgid option. This is an unencrypted password. --email The email address associated with the username specified iwth the --username option. --serialnumber Specify a servial number to associate with the system. This is optional, and only useful when combined with an orgid. --contactinfo Read contact info from standard in. The format is one entry per line, colon seperated. Valid options are reg_num, title, first_name, last_name, company, position, address1, address2, city, state, zip, country, phone, fax, contact_email, contact_mail, contact_phone, contact_fax, contact_special, contact_newsletter. --nohardware Do not probe or upload any hardware information. --nopackages Do not profile or upload any package information. --force Register the system even if it has already been registered. --version Show the version fo rhnreg_ks --proxy Specify a http proxy to use. FILES
/etc/sysconfig/rhn/up2date Configuration settings for up2date and rhnreg_ks /usr/share/rhn/RHNS-CA-CERT The ssl certificate authority file used by rhnreg_ks to validate the Red Hat Network ssl servers. EXAMPLES
The following registers a new system to Red Hat Network. rhnreg_ks --profilename "example_profile_name" --username "someexampleuser@example.com" --password "foobar" The following examples registers a new system to Red Hat Network including contact info. rhnreg_ks --profilename "example_profile_name" --username "someexampleuser@example.com" --password "foobar" --contactinfo < contactinfo where the file "contactinfo" contains data in the format: first_name: Billy last_name: Bob company: SomeCompanyName city: Springfield fax: 555-5555 phone: 555-5555 SEE ALSO
Configuration can be done via up2date --configure. rhnreg_ks is used to register a system to Red Hat Network. Visit <http://rhn.red- hat.com> for access or to sign up. You can also run up2date to register a system with Red Hat Network. Authors Written by Adrian Likins <alikins@redhat.com> REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <http://bugzilla.redhat.com>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 1999-2002 Red Hat, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. 4th Berkeley Distribution Wed 10 April 2002 RHNREG_KS(8)