Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script reading needed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script reading needed Post 302848013 by jefferj54 on Wednesday 28th of August 2013 09:53:16 AM
Old 08-28-2013
Script reading needed

Hi,
I'm just learning so I would appreciate some understanding line by line on the while loop/case script below.

Thanks so much.

joe.

Code:
echo "Good Morning."
echo "Enter 1 to Add"
echo "or q to quit."
while [ "$Enter" != "q" ]
do
   read Enter
   case $Enter in
      1) echo "Addtion:"
         echo "Enter a number"
         read num1
         echo "Enter another number"
         read num2
         sum=$((num1 + num2))
         echo "sum=$sum."
         ;;
      q) exit;;
   esac
   echo "Enter another or q to quit"
done

Last edited by vbe; 08-28-2013 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: code tags - indents

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading Input in a Script

#!/usr/bin/sh echo "Enter reason:" echo "> \c" read $reason $reason >> access.log This doesnt work for me. Can someone tell me how I would read the input from what the person types, and then append that to the log file? Regards (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alwayslearningunix
2 Replies

2. Programming

Reading a file into a C++ script

Hi, I'm trying to read a file in with and assigne the stream to a char * type. I've manged it using the cin.get returning type char, but am having run-time problems returning a char *. For example, char *pStream = "file.txt"; ifstream from(pStream); from.open(pStream); ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Breen
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

script to reading a file

hi, I have a file containing names, say n number of names, sample file robin smith dallas frey cook all these names are in a file name called names.txt and it is placed in a directory called /data/names all i want is to write a script, which will read from the file and gives the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasikaran
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

URGENT HELP NEEDED ON -File size reading

All Expert, I am using Sun OS 5.8 and Perl version 5 in One server and Perl 5.8 in another unix server. I am able to read a file using fopen function of perl --file size having more then 3 GB of data.(In the machine where Perl 5.8 install) But when i am running the same perl script --It... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jambesh
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script help needed

I have a code given below... ERROR=`grep "Job Status" ${LOG_FILE}` ERROR=${ERROR##*\(} ERROR=${ERROR%%\)*} if then echo "The job completed successfully" EXIT_STATUS=0 else echo "The job failed" EXIT_STATUS=1 fi can anybody tell me what is ERROR=${ERROR##*\(}... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sagarddd
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

script for reading logs of a script running on other UNIX server

Hi, I have a script, running on some outside firwall server and it's log of success or failure is maintained in a file. I want to write a script which ftp that server and reads that file and checks the logs and if failure , I will send mail notification. Please let meknow if I am not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vandana.parwani
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script needed...

Hi! I have a file which has a list of host, I want to ssh to each of the first box for an app and grep through the logs for version of the application and look for a certain string "Connection is open" in the log file. The file I am referring to looks like this - ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jacki
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help needed- script failing if router unavailable

Hey all. Sometimes I'm tasked to change some router configs for the entire network (over 3,000 Cisco routers). Most of the time its a global config parameter so its done with a loop and an IP list as its the same configuration change for all routers. This is working OK. However, sometimes an... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrkz1974
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed reading the file

I am reading a pipe delimted file having the 4 columns. The file content looks like APT|string|Application ID For App|value for env in `cat $ConfigFile` do name=`echo $env | cut -d '|' -f1` type=`echo $env | cut -d '|' -f2 prompt=`echo $env | cut -d '|' -f3` ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chandu123
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in reading line value into variable

I have a file which has data in 8 lines: 10 34 6 1 4 46 67 31 I am trying to read each value into each different variable so that I use these variables in preparing my report. Another option is to dynamically print each line values in the report like below: users with privA:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarat949
2 Replies
qmail-users(5)                                                  File Formats Manual                                                 qmail-users(5)

NAME
qmail-users - assign mail addresses to users OVERVIEW
The file /var/lib/qmail/users/assign assigns addresses to users. For example, =joe.shmoe:joe:503:78:/home/joe::: says that mail for joe.shmoe should be delivered to user joe, with uid 503 and gid 78, as specified by /home/joe/.qmail. Assignments fed to qmail-newu will be used by qmail-lspawn to control qmail-local's deliveries. See qmail-newu(8). A change to /var/lib/qmail/users/assign will have no effect until qmail-newu is run. STRUCTURE
/var/lib/qmail/users/assign is a series of assignments, one per line. It ends with a line containing a single dot. Lines must not contain NUL. SIMPLE ASSIGNMENTS
A simple assignment is a line of the form =local:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:ext: Here local is an address; user, uid, and gid are the account name, uid, and gid of the user in charge of local; and messages to local will be controlled by homedir/.qmaildashext. If there are several assignments for the same local address, qmail-lspawn will use the first one. local is interpreted without regard to case. WILDCARD ASSIGNMENTS
A wildcard assignment is a line of the form +loc:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:pre: This assignment applies to any address beginning with loc, including loc itself. It means the same as =locext:user:uid:gid:homedir:dash:preext: for every string ext. A more specific wildcard assignment overrides a less specific assignment, and a simple assignment overrides any wildcard assignment. For example: +:alias:7790:2108:/var/lib/qmail/alias:-:: +joe-:joe:507:100:/home/joe:-:: =joe:joe:507:100:/home/joe::: The address joe is handled by the third line; the address joe-direct is handled by the second line; the address bill is handled by the first line. SEE ALSO
qmail-pw2u(8), qmail-newu(8), qmail-lspawn(8) qmail-users(5)