Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat What fields we need to consider ntpq -p output? Post 302828755 by Naveen.6025 on Wednesday 3rd of July 2013 06:13:05 AM
Old 07-03-2013
What fields we need to consider ntpq -p output?

In our environment we used to lot of events for ntp issues. I am unable to find the what needs to consider here. Smilie

Code:
ntpq -p fields.

remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset jitter

---------- Post updated at 05:13 AM ---------- Previous update was at 04:47 AM ----------

Do we have any specific values for the fields - delay, offset , jitter where we can understand easily.

Last edited by radoulov; 07-03-2013 at 06:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting fields from an output 8-)

I am getting a variable as x=2006/01/18 now I have to extract each field from it. Like x1=2006, x2=01 and x3=18. Any idea how? Thanks a lot for help. Thanks CSaha (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: csaha
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK Merge Fields for Print Output

I've got a file with each record on a separate line and each record contains 34 fields separated by a colon and i'm trying to re-arrange the order of the fields and merge together certain fields separated by a slash (like field7/field28). I tried using an awk print statement like awk -F: 'BEGIN... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

To get an output by combining fields from two different files

Hi guys, I couldn't find solution to this problem. If anyone knows please help me out. your guidance is highly appretiated. I have two files - FILE1 has the following 7 columns ( - has been added to make columns visible enough else columns are separated by single space) 155.34 - leg - 1... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: smriti_shridhar
8 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

output of ntpq -p

Howdy guys, I have 2 sun solaris server(T200) in cluster mode. I put the command below ntpq -p. I need your help to understand the output. I plan to change the date and time in both server. node1:/home/mydir> ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: thepurple
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to compare diff output by fields

Diff output as follows: < AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 123 > PPP QQQ RRR SSS TTT 111 > VVV WWW XXX YYY ZZZ 333 > AAA BBB CCC DDD EEE 124 How can i use awk to compare the last field to determine if the counter has increased, and need to ensure that the first 4 fields must have the same... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare 2 CSV fields from same diff output

Attached is a file called diff.txt It is the output from this command: diff -y --suppress-common-lines --width=5000 1.txt 2.txt > diff.txt I have also attached 1.txt and 2.txt for your convenience. Both 1.txt and 2.txt contain one very long CSV string. File 1.txt is a CSV dump of... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvolpini
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in ntpq

Hi i an not able to understand what below command in saying in its O/P what i understand is the astrick(*) one is acting as a ntp master. but not able to understand what insane and sys.peer here means. # ntpq ntpq> pe remote refid st when poll reach delay ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: scriptor
2 Replies

8. Solaris

Ntpq - when=9d - not right?

Problem with external aerial and galleonm time server just turned back on. I'm guessing this is telling me its not worked for 9 days? Should I now force a poll or wait? $ntpq -p remote refid st t when poll reach delay offset disp... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Fields in the Output of ls -ltr for a directory

Could you please let me know what each of the output fields in ls -ltr for a directory imply. Example : drwxrwsr-x 4294967295 infamgr infagrp 2147549184 Sep 2 17:01 job basically would want to know 4294967295 and 2147549184 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infernalhell
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Match output fields agains two patterns

I need to print field and the next one if field matches 'patternA' and also print 'patternB' fields. echo "some output" | awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++){if($i ~ /patternA/){print $i, $(i+1)}elif($i ~ /patternB/){print $i}}}' This code returnes me 'syntax error'. Pls advise how to do properly. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
2 Replies
ntp(n)								 Tnm Tcl Extension							    ntp(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ntp - Retrieve NTP status information. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The Network Time Protocol (NTP) (RFC 1119, RFC 1305) allows to synchronize computer clocks by exchanging NTP messages. The ntp command allows to retrieve control variables from NTP peers. NTP COMMAND
ntp [options] Invoking the ntp command with options but without any command arguments allows to retrieve and change the default values. See the description of supported options below. Default values are bound to a Tcl interpreter which allows to have multiple Tcl interpreter with different defaults. ntp [options] host arrayName The ntp command sends a NTP version 3 mode 6 request to host and writes status information into the Tcl array arrayName. After suc- cessful completion, the array will contain the following elements (RFC 1305): peer.delay This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the roundtrip delay of the peer clock relative to the local clock over the network path between them, in seconds. peer.dispersion This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the maximum error of the peer clock relative to the local clock over the net- work path between them, in seconds. peer.offset This is a signed, fixed-point number indicating the offset of the peer clock relative to the local clock, in seconds. peer.precision This is a signed integer indicating the precision of the various clocks, in seconds to the nearest power of two. peer.reach This is a shift register used to determine the reachability status of the peer, with bits entering from the least significant (rightmost) end. A peer is considered reachable if at least one bit in this register is set to one. peer.srcadr This is the IP address of the peer. peer.stratum This is an integer indicating the stratum of the local clock. peer.valid This is an integer counter indicating the valid samples remaining in the filter register. It is used to determine the reacha- bility state and when the poll interval should be increased or decreased. sys.peer This is a selector identifying the current synchronization source. sys.precision This is a signed integer indicating the precision of the various clocks, in seconds to the nearest power of two. sys.refid This is a 32-bit code identifying the particular reference clock. sys.rootdelay This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the total roundtrip delay to the primary reference source at the root of the synchronization subnet, in seconds. sys.rootdispersion This is a signed fixed-point number indicating the maximum error relative to the primary reference source at the root of the synchronization subnet, in seconds. sys.stratum This is an integer indicating the stratum of the local clock sys.system A textual description of the system type. NTP OPTIONS
The following options control how NTP requests are send and how the ntp command deals with lost NTP packets. -timeout time The -timeout option defines the time the ntp command will wait for a response. The time is defined in seconds with a default of 2 seconds. -retries number The -retries option defines how many times a request is retransmitted during the timeout interval. The default number of retries is 2. SEE ALSO
scotty(1), Tnm(n), Tcl(n) AUTHORS
Erik Schoenfelder <schoenfr@gaertner.de> Juergen Schoenwaelder <schoenw@cs.utwente.nl> Tnm ntp(n)