Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Does Translated IP Matter For Proxy Server (SQUID) Post 302825511 by DGPickett on Monday 24th of June 2013 01:43:16 PM
Old 06-24-2013
No more than without the proxy server. You may lose some identity information if the NAT assigns addresses and ports from a pool. The obvious place to put a proxy is on the firewall network boundary, that is to say, within the local no-NAT domain, so you get the identity right, and let the proxy have access, perhaps bypassing NAT/that-firewall. Of course, if you serve many such behind-NAT spaces, you need a NIC or tunnel so they can all locally connect to the proxy, or many proxy servers. If the power/resources are right, a proxy on a firewall with a local DNS server on the firewall is not a bad model -- just a different way through the same firewall. The proxy server is a very heavy DNS user, so a local DNS cache can be a nice idea. There is a wonderful feeling when you prevent a packet from needing to go out on a network!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

squid proxy and apache servers

hi. pardon my noob question id just like to have a quick answer. i am planning to install a jabber webclient and a jabber server in our apache server. my boss said this wouldnt work because squid filters port 5222 connections (jabber). i told him we can simply 'unfilter' the port then but he said... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcpascual
0 Replies

2. IP Networking

Squid Proxy URL rewriting

I have an architecture as below <> <> There is a program in the AIX server which sends SMS to the internet, by sending HTTP request to the SMS processing server. Like, http://smsserver/mysms=test However the application does not have an option to specify where the Proxy server... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: firdousamir
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

SQUID Transparent Proxy Server

hi guys! We are setting up Squid Server. we want the server to be transparent. But I don't know how will i be able to set the network up. is it possible to set the squid server in the same LAN with the Squid Client and still functions as a transparent server? if so, can anybody help me do it? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: init6_
1 Replies

4. IP Networking

Blocking HTTP tunnel in squid proxy 2.5

Does any one know how to block HTTP Tunnel in squid proxy server. Pls reply (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vishwanathhcl
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Setup a Reverse Proxy on Squid

Hi all, The scenario is: http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/7990/1234z.jpg - With: + 192.168.100.0/24 : internet link (simulation) + Multiple Websites are hosting in local. + Complete DNS configuration. + OS: CentOS 5 - Requirements: Configure Squid Proxy as... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kidzer0
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

SQUID Proxy server configuration

Can any one direct me to the resources where I can find in-depth instructions on Squid Proxy server and its configuration? Thanks in advance.:) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Squid Dynamic Proxy Server Configuration

Hello all, I am trying to configure squid proxy server for different organizations. These organizations will have different blocked ports, different acls, etc. But, I can use only one proxy server for this purpose. Thinking of making a shell script with iptables and squid. For an example: a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: admin_xor
1 Replies

8. Linux

Squid using 2 Ethernet in Proxy System

Hi All Im using squid Proxy in centos Squid version = squid.x86_64 7:3.1.10-20.el6_5 CentOS release 6.5 (Final) Router IP = 192.168.1.1 My proxy System have 2 Ethernet port eth0 eth1 Using IP address for eth0 = 192.168.1.15/24 using IP address for eth1 = 192.168.1.16/24 Default... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: babinlonston
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Squid proxy shell script

i need squid proxy log file daily auto generate by shell script (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sanjeetkumar086
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Gmail cannot view picture through web browser through squid proxy server

Hi, forum reader, I have a squid problem. We have 2 squid proxy for two different group staffs, both of them can access gmail for web email access. It used about half year. One day we send out email with image but one proxy group user cannot view that pic but another group can see. Any idea for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: justinianho
2 Replies
PROXYMNGR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      PROXYMNGR(1)

NAME
proxymngr - proxy manager service SYNOPSIS
proxymngr [-config filename] [-timeout seconds] [-retries #] [-verbose] DESCRIPTION
The proxy manager (proxymngr) is responsible for resolving requests from xfindproxy (and other similar clients), starting new proxies when appropriate, and keeping track of all of the available proxy services. The proxy manager strives to reuse existing proxies whenever possi- ble. There are two types of proxies that the proxy manager deals with, managed and unmanaged proxies. A managed proxy is a proxy that is started ``on demand'' by the proxy manager. An unmanaged proxy, on the other hand, is started either at system boot time, or manually by a system administrator. The proxy manager is made aware of its existence, but no attempt is made by the proxy manager to start unmanaged proxies. The command line options that can be specified to proxymngr are: -config Used to override the default proxymngr config file. See below for more details about the config file. -timeout Sets the number of seconds between attempts made by the proxy manager to find an unmanaged proxy. The default is 10. -retries Sets the maximum number of retries made by the proxy manager to find an an unmanaged proxy. The default is 3. -verbose Causes various debugging and tracing records to be displayed as requests are received and proxies are started. Proxy Manager Config File The proxy manager maintains a local configuration file describing the proxy services available. This configuration file is installed in /usr/lib/X11/proxymngr/pmconfig during the installation of proxymngr. The location of the configuration file can be overwritten using the -config command line option. Aside from lines starting with an exclamation point for comments, each line of the configuration file describes either an unmanaged or man- aged proxy service. For unmanaged proxies, the format is: <service-name> unmanaged <proxy-address> service-name is the name of the unmanaged proxy service, and must not contain any spaces, for example ``XFWP''. service-name is case insensitive. proxy-address is the network address of the unmanaged proxy. The format of the address is specific to the service-name. For example, for the ``XFWP'' service, the proxy-address might be ``firewall.x.org:100''. If there is more than one entry in the config file with the same unmanaged service-name, the proxy manager will try to use the proxies in the order presented in the config file. For managed proxies, the format is: <service-name> managed <command-to-start-proxy> service-name is the name of the managed proxy service, and must not contain any spaces, for example ``LBX''. service-name is case insensi- tive. command-to-start-proxy is the command executed by the proxy manager to start a new instance of the proxy. If command-to-start-proxy con- tains spaces, the complete command should be surrounded by single quotes. If desired, command-to-start-proxy can be used to start a proxy on a remote machine. The specifics of the remote execution method used to do this is not specified here. EXAMPLE
Here is a sample configuration file: ! proxy manager config file ! ! Each line has the format: ! <serviceName> managed <startCommand> ! or ! <serviceName> unmanaged <proxyAddress> ! lbx managed /usr/bin/lbxproxy ! ! substitute site-specific info xfwp unmanaged firewall:4444 PROXY MANAGER DETAILS
When the proxy manager gets a request from xfindproxy (or another similar client), its course of action will depend on the service-name in question. For a managed proxy service, the proxy manager will find out if any of the already running proxies for this service can handle a new request. If not, the proxy manager will attempt to start up a new instance of the proxy (using the command-to-start-proxy found in the config file). If that fails, an error will be returned to the caller. For an unmanaged proxy service, the proxy manager will look in the config file to find all unmanaged proxies for this service. If there is more than one entry in the config file with the same unmanaged service-name, the proxy manager will try to use the proxies in the order presented in the config file. If none of the unmanaged proxies can satisfy the request, the proxy manager will timeout for a configurable amount of time (specified by -timeout or default of 10) and reattempt to find an unmanaged proxy willing to satisfy the request. The num- ber of retries can be specified by the -retries argument, or a default of 3 will be used. If the retries fail, the proxy manager has no choice but to return an error to the caller (since the proxy manager can not start unmanaged proxy services). BUGS
proxy manager listen port should be configurable. -timeout and -retries is not implemented in proxymngr. proxymngr does not utilize the ``options'' and ``host'' fields in the proxy management protocol GetProxyAddr request. SEE ALSO
xfindproxy (1), xfwp (1), Proxy Management Protocol spec V1.0 AUTHOR
Ralph Mor, X Consortium X Version 11 proxymngr 1.0.1 PROXYMNGR(1)