Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Shell scripting/working with a file Post 302797107 by Jagst3r21 on Sunday 21st of April 2013 11:31:22 PM
Old 04-22-2013
It was exists not exit Smilie I am having a tough time with this, any other advice anyone?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

file activity (open/closed) file descriptor info using KORN shell scripting

I am trying to find a way to check the current status of a file. Such as some cron job processes are dependent on the completion of others. if a file is currently being accessed / modified or simply open state I will wait until it is done being processed before attempting the next process on that... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gary Dunn
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

file permissions using shell scripting

Hi I am trying to use shell script to display file permissions, and I can do it fine for the current user logged in, but now I want to view all file permissions for the Owner of the file, Group users and everyone, so it will look something like this: -----------------READ WRITE EXECUTE OWNER... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: barbus
11 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create file from shell scripting

Hi, I want to create a file from a shell script. the data for the file will come from variables. that is the file format is like, var1-value var2_value ... that is, var1_value should be placed in first 10 spaces and var2_value should be placed in next 8 columns like that. is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smr_rashmy
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

file operations in shell scripting

hi All, my query... 1.I Have to search for the files in the root directory. 2.i have to search for a pattern in all the files in the root directory and then replace them with a new pattern. 3.Rename the file Explanation: if ABC is the root folder and has 3 subfolders and there are 15... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: adityamahi
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting - need to arrange the columns from multiple file into a single file

Hi friends please help me on below, i have 5 files like below file1 is x 10 y 20 z 15 file2 is x 100 z 245 file3 is y 78 z 23 file4 is x 100 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: siva kumar
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shell script to read lines in a text file and filter user data Shell Programming and Scripting

sxsaaas (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: VikrantD
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell scripting for file manupilations

Hi linux users, I have a file with following format. { Name shiva; location Delhi; travelID IDNumber; } 4 ( (0.1 0.2 0.3) 1234 (1.1 1.2 1.3) 12345 (2.1 2.2 2.3) 12354 (3.1 3.2 3.3) 123667 )now i wanted to write this data in separate files as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxUser_
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read csv file, convert the data and make one text file in UNIX shell scripting

I have input data looks like this which is a part of a csv file 7,1265,76548,"0102:04" 8,1266,76545,"0112:04" I need to make the output data should look like this and the output data will be part of text file: 7|1265000 |7654899 |A| 8|12660000 |76545999 |B| The logic behind the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: RJG
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Typeset is not working in Linux korn shell scripting

Hi All, Kindly help on the below issue ASAP. Its very urgent. I have script in which we have below two lines for code and it is not working. Please help. files_to_process=" abc_*.log def_*.log ghi_*.log " typeset -A dir_list ${files_to_process} the script is failing in Linux... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tvbhkishore
3 Replies
MADVISE(2)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							MADVISE(2)

NAME
madvise - give advice about use of memory SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/mman.h> int madvise(void *start, size_t length, int advice); DESCRIPTION
The madvise system call advises the kernel about how to handle paging input/output in the address range beginning at address start and with size length bytes. It allows an application to tell the kernel how it expects to use some mapped or shared memory areas, so that the kernel can choose appropriate read-ahead and caching techniques. This call does not influence the semantics of the application (except in the case of MADV_DONTNEED), but may influence its performance. The kernel is free to ignore the advice. The advice is indicated in the advice parameter which can be MADV_NORMAL No special treatment. This is the default. MADV_RANDOM Expect page references in random order. (Hence, read ahead may be less useful than normally.) MADV_SEQUENTIAL Expect page references in sequential order. (Hence, pages in the given range can be aggressively read ahead, and may be freed soon after they are accessed.) MADV_WILLNEED Expect access in the near future. (Hence, it might be a good idea to read some pages ahead.) MADV_DONTNEED Do not expect access in the near future. (For the time being, the application is finished with the given range, so the kernel can free resources associated with it.) Subsequent accesses of pages in this range will succeed, but will result either in re-loading of the memory contents from the underlying mapped file (see mmap) or zero-fill-on-demand pages for mappings without an underlying file. RETURN VALUE
On success madvise returns zero. On error, it returns -1 and errno is set appropiately. ERRORS
EINVAL the value len is negative, start is not page-aligned, advice is not a valid value, or the application is attempting to release locked or shared pages (with MADV_DONTNEED). ENOMEM addresses in the specified range are not currently mapped, or are outside the address space of the process. ENOMEM (for MADV_WILLNEED) Not enough memory - paging in failed. EIO (for MADV_WILLNEED) Paging in this area would exceed the process's maximum resident set size. EBADF the map exists, but the area maps something that isn't a file. EAGAIN a kernel resource was temporarily unavailable. LINUX NOTES
The current Linux implementation (2.4.0) views this system call more as a command than as advice and hence may return an error when it can- not do what it usually would do in response to this advice. (See the ERRORS description above.) This is nonstandard behaviour. The Linux implementation requires that the address start be page-aligned, and allows length to be zero. If there are some parts of the specified address range that are not mapped, the Linux version of madvise ignores them and applies the call to the rest (but returns ENOMEM from the system call, as it should). HISTORY
The madvise function first appeared in 4.4BSD. CONFORMING TO
POSIX.1b (POSIX.4). POSIX 1003.1-2001 describes posix_madvise with constants POSIX_MADV_NORMAL, etc., with a behaviour close to that described here. There is a similar posix_fadvise for file access. SEE ALSO
getrlimit(2), mmap(2), mincore(2), mprotect(2), msync(2), munmap(2) Linux 2.4.5 2001-06-10 MADVISE(2)