Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to configure DNS configuration for RHEL 5? Post 302795803 by rbatte1 on Thursday 18th of April 2013 11:08:03 AM
Old 04-18-2013
I would guess that you just want to be a client then, given that you already have an existing DNS server. Have a read of the manual page for resolv.conf - note that there is no e at the end of resolv.

Robin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to configure DNS

My OS is sun solaris7,(sun sparc),i want connect inernet and my computer in my company intranet.After i configure proxy server,i still can't conncet internet.I guess whether the DNS is configured correctly. who can help me???Thank you very much!!! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: q30
6 Replies

2. IP Networking

Configure DNS

I am running Solaris 2.6 Server on a Sparc 10 and I was wondering how I can manually specify a DNS server to resolve hostnames. Any help will be greatly appreciated. And also I have created a file in the /etc dir named defaultrouter and added th IP address of my router, but when I ping another... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: jskillet
15 Replies

3. Ubuntu

How to configure YUM in RHEL 4.0

Hi guys Can anyone assist me how to configure YUM in RHEL4.0. and from where i can get the YUM package for RHEL4.0. Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: daya.pandit
3 Replies

4. Red Hat

Who can give me a document for configure nagios on RHEL 5

Who can give me a document for configure nagios on RHEL 5,thanks . (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: zhengsenlin
1 Replies

5. Red Hat

configure dns in centos

Hi, how do I set the DNS in centos. I don't mean of creating DNS server, but setting what should be the DNS server of centos. I mean to what server he should go in order to translate url into ip (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: programAngel
6 Replies

6. Red Hat

RHEL 6.0 net configuration

hello, I have installed RHEL 6.0 on my lappy in a separate partion with windows 7 on the hardware(not using VMWARE).Now kindly help me to active network configuration in that?????Is it require to have LINUX wireless drivers???? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dillipkmrpadhy
1 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to configure vnc on RHEL 6.1?

i am first time using RHEL 6.1 i have to configure vnc on this server to access desktop remotely for this server. i installed these rpm : rpm -ivh VNC-Server-5.0.3-Linux-x64.rpm rpm -ivh VNC-Viewer-5.0.3-Linux-x64.rpm there is no directory /etc/sysconfig/vncserver in RHEL 6 as it was... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rehantayyab82
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

RIP configuration in RHEL 6.3

Hi, Can someone please help me configuring RIP (Routing Information Protocol v2 ). I have tried few manuals and posts from networking sites and i didnt get a clear picture. This is what i have done: 1. Installed routed package and started routed service. however, Dynamic routes are... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: reddybs
1 Replies

9. Homework & Coursework Questions

Configure DNS in rhel6.3

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: cant configure dns in virtual box. im using rhel6.3. i have a cd containing rhel which the professor provided us.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpmacaspac
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Snmptrapd configuration on rhel 8

I need to configure snmptrap on rhel 8 server and send trap to nimsoft for file system , memory and cpu load and network diconnection status. please help me, if any one configured. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yash_message
1 Replies
defaultdomain(4)						   File Formats 						  defaultdomain(4)

NAME
defaultdomain - specify host's domain name SYNOPSIS
/etc/defaultdomain DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/defaultdomain determines a host's domain name for direct use by the NIS and NIS+ name services. The defaultdomain file is read at boot time and its contents used by the domainname(1M) command. Because of its use by domainname, defaultdomain is also used by the LDAP service (see ldap(1)). Under certain, narrow circumstances (see resolv.conf(4)), because domainname uses defaultdomain, a DNS client can use the contents of defaultdomain. The contents of defaultdomain consists of a single line containing a host's domain name. SEE ALSO
NIS+(1), uname(1), ldapclient(1M), nisclient(1M), ypbind(1M), ypinit(1M), resolv.conf(4) NOTES
The defaultdomain file is created and modified by Solaris installation and configuration scripts. Only users knowledgeable of name service configuration should edit the file. SunOS 5.11 22 February 2000 defaultdomain(4)