Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem creating graph with gnuplot with time on x-axis Post 302794355 by hakro807 on Monday 15th of April 2013 05:54:11 PM
Old 04-15-2013
I succeeded in creating a good-looking graph for the last 60 minutes. Format for data is
Code:
hh:mm value1 value2

Code:
set terminal png
set output "hour_graph.png"
set yrange [10:50]
set ylabel "Temperatur Celsius/Luftfuktighet procent"
set timefmt "%H:%M"
set xdata time
set xtics "00:00", 900, "24:00" #guess it will mess up temporarily at 24:00
set mxtics 3 #a small tic every five minute
set format x "%H:%M" #set format x was needed to format the x axis as hh:mm, not hh:mm:ss

plot "./hour_graph_values" using 1:2 title 'Temperatur' with lines, \
"./hour_graph_values" using 1:3 title 'Luftfuktighet' with lines

Would still love to know the syntax for letting gnuplot deal with both date and time.
At the moment the main log is in the following format:
yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm value1 value2

I just can't believe gnuplot would not be able to deal with something which most be so common.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. OS X (Apple)

Adjust X & Y screen axis

I'm using my wife's Macbook, and I just noticed that her screen is off axis, but I can't find a way to adjust it. I've tried playing around with resolution in preferences, but nothing. Maybe a terminal command for adjusting the x and y values of the screen? Any and all suggestions welcomed :) (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andou
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sar Vs. gnuplot time format

Hi, I want to generate gnuplot graph from sar data. My problem is the time format. 1- Gnuplot doesn't support the sar format (01:00:59 AM/PM) 2- Sar doesn't provide a switch to choose the format. The only way to do it is by exporting LANG=fr_FR. Since I have other apps running and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: foxmtl
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

GNUPLOT problem

Hi, Im trying to plot a time series with gnuplot. this is my script set xdata time set yrange set timefmt "%H" set xrange set format x "%H:%M:%S" plot "time_vs_times.txt" using 1:2 title 'Interarrival time' with points lw 2 and this is my data 11:14:18 5 11:14:19 10... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
10 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Transposing X and Y axis of CSV data

Hello list, I have a source CSV data file as follows: PC_NAME,MS11-040,MS11-039,MS11-038,MS11-035 abc123,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable abc987,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Not Applicable tnt999,Not Applicable,Not Applicable,Applicable,Not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: landossa
2 Replies

5. Programming

Creating a line graph in jqplot

I have a piece of code here that should create a line graph consisting of two lines. It will not render the lines and neither the dates on the x-axis. The y-axis is apparently already scaled for the y-values, so the data interpretation went correctly for at least some of the data. Does anybody see... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
0 Replies

6. UNIX and Linux Applications

GnuPlot - 2d-graph --> depending from size, different color

Hi, i would like to change color depending from the valuerange. a gnuplot-script will generate a multiplot and in one graph, the ranges should have different colors, e.g. 100 ... 133 --> red 200 ... 233 --> blue 300 ... 333 --> orange 400 ... 433 --> green #Partikeldata - Partikel... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: IMPe
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

gnuplot flat line graph

Hi, I'm not able to find a solution because I cant find the exact keyword for this. I wanna make a graph like ive shown in the attachment. Could someone please share ideas on how to do this. Thanks! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamie_123
3 Replies

8. Programming

Draw Bar Graph for GNUPLOT

For example, I have a file called data.txt. And the content is: Iker_Casillas 181 Raphael_Varane 182 Sergio_Ramos 182May I know how to write a script for gnuplot, so I can have a bar graph as the column 1 will be the x and column 2 will be the y? And I hope that the x value can be seen clearly.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tzeronone
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gnuplot Time Data Question

I have a data file of the following format: servername,2013-05-11 17:46:03,SomeText,195,195,11,202 servername,2013-05-11 17:47:03,SomeText,192,192,23,103 servername,2013-05-11 17:48:03,SomeText,189,190,14,117 servername,2013-05-11 17:49:03,SomeText,196,195,24,231 ... ... I want to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BeeryM
0 Replies
Chart::Gnuplot(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				       Chart::Gnuplot(3pm)

NAME
Chart::Gnuplot - Plot graph using Gnuplot in Perl on the fly SYNOPSIS
use Chart::Gnuplot; # Data my @x = (-10 .. 10); my @y = (0 .. 20); # Create chart object and specify the properties of the chart my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "fig/simple.png", title => "Simple testing", xlabel => "My x-axis label", ylabel => "My y-axis label", .... ); # Create dataset object and specify the properties of the dataset my $dataSet = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( xdata => @x, ydata => @y, title => "Plotting a line from Perl arrays", style => "linespoints", .... ); # Plot the data set on the chart $chart->plot2d($dataSet); ################################################## # Plot many data sets on a single chart $chart->plot2d($dataSet1, $dataSet2, ...); DESCRIPTION
This Perl module is to plot graphs uning GNUPLOT on the fly. In order to use this module, gnuplot need to be installed. If image format other than PS and EPS is required to generate, the convert program of ImageMagick is also needed. To plot chart using Chart::Gnuplot, a chart object and at least one dataset object are required. Information about the chart such as output file, chart title, axes labels and so on is specified in the chart object. Dataset object contains information about the dataset to be plotted, including source of the data points, dataset label, color used to plot and more. After chart object and dataset object(s) are created, the chart can be plotted using the plot2d, plot3d or multiplot method of the chart object, e.g. # $chart is the chart object $chart->plot2d($dataSet1, $dataSet2, ...); To illustate the features of Chart::Gnuplot, the best way is to show by examples. A lot of examples can be found in SourceForge <http://chartgnuplot.sourceforge.net>. CHART OBJECT
The chart object can be initiated by the c<new> method. Properties of the chart may be specified optionally when the object is initiated: my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new(%options); Chart Options output Output file of the graph. By default, the image format is detected automatically by the extension of the filename. However, it can also be changed manually by using the format conversion methods such as "convert" and "png" (see sessions below). The supported image formats are: bmp : Microsoft Windows bitmap epdf : Encapsulated Portable Document Format epi : Encapsulated PostScript Interchange format eps : Encapsulated PostScript gif : Graphics Interchange Format jpg : Joint Photographic Experts Group JFIF format pdf : Portable Document Format png : Portable Network Graphics ppm : Portable Pixmap Format ps : PostScript file psd : Adobe Photoshop bitmap file xpm : X Windows system pixmap If the filename has no extension, postscipt will be used. title Title of the chart. E.g., title => "Chart title" Properties of the chart title can be specified in hash. E.g., title => { text => "Chart title", font => "arial, 20", .... } Supported properties are: text : title in plain text font : font face (and optionally font size) color : font color offset : offset relative to the default position enhanced : title contains subscript/superscipt/greek? (on/off) Default values would be used for properties not specified. These properties has no effect on the main title of the multi-chart (see multiplot). xlabel, ylabel, zlabel Label of the x-axis, y-axis and z-axis. E.g. xlabel => "Bottom axis label" Properties of the axis label can be specified in hash, similar to the chart title. Supported properties are: text : title in plain text font : font face (and optionally font size) color : font color offset : offset relative to the default position rotate : rotation in degrees enhanced : title contains subscript/superscipt/greek? (on/off) x2label, y2label Label of the secondary x-axis (displayed on the top of the graph) and the secondary y-axis (displayed on the right of the graph). See xlabel. xrange, yrange, zrange Range of the x-axis, y-axis and z-axis in the plot, e.g. xrange => [0, "pi"] would make the plot from x = 0 to x = 3.14159... x2range, y2range Range of the secondary (top horizontal and right vertical) axes of the plot. See "xrange, yrange, zrange". trange, urange, vrange Range of the parametric parameter (t for 2D plots, while u and v for 3D plots). See "xrange, yrange, zrange". xtics, ytics, ztics The tics and tic label on the x-axis, y-axis and z-axis. E.g. xtics => { labels => [-10, 15, 20, 25], labelfmt => "%3f", .... } If you set this to "undef". E.g., xtics => undef Then this option will be explicitly unset and the chart will have not have tic marks on the specified axis. Supported properties are: labels : the locations of the tic labels labelfmt : format of the labels font : font of the labels fontsize : font size of the lebals fontcolor : font color of the label offset : position of the tic labels shifted from its default rotate : rotation of the tic labels length : length of the tics along : where the tics are put (axis/border) minor : number of minor tics between adjacant major tics mirror : turn on and off the tic label of the secondary axis. No effect : for C<ztics> (on/off) x2tics, y2tics The tics and tic label of the secondary axes. See "xtics, ytics, ztics". legend Legend describing the plots. Supported properties are: position : position of the legend width : number of character widths to be added or subtracted to the : region of the legend height : number of character heights to be added or subtracted to the : region of the legend align : alignment of the text label. Left or right (default) order : order of the keys title : title of the legend sample : format of the sample lines border : border of the legend See border for the available options of border E.g. legend => { position => "outside bottom", width => 3, height => 4, align => "right", order => "horizontal reverse", title => "Title of the legend", sample => { length => 3, position => "left", spacing => 2, }, border => { linetype => 2, width => 1, color => "blue", }, } timeaxis Specify the axes of which the tic labels are date/time string. Possible values are combinations of "x", "y", "x2", and "y2" joined by ",". E.g. timeaxis => "x, y2" means that the x-axis and y2-axis are data/time axes. border Border of the graph. Properties supported are "sides", "linetype", "width", and "color". E.g. border => { sides => "bottom, left", linetype => 3, width => 2, color => '#ff00ff', } "sides" tells which side(s) will be displayed. Default is all four borders for 2D plots, and four bottom and left vertial borders for 3D plots. Acceptable valurs are the 12-bit code (see the Gnuplot manual) or the following names: bottom left top right bottom left front bottom left back bottom right front bottom right back left vertical right vertical front vertical back vertical top left front top left back top right front top right back If you set this to "undef". E.g., border => undef Then this option will be explicitly unset and the chart will have not have any border. grid Major grid lines. E.g. grid => { type => 'dash', width => 2, .... } Supported properties are: type : line type of the grid lines (default: dot) width : line width (defaulr: 0) color : line color (default: black) xlines : whether the vertical grid lines are drawn (on/off) ylines : whether the horizontal grid lines are drawn (on/off) tmargin, bmargin Top and bottom margin (in character height). This option has no effect in 3D plots. E.g. tmargin => 10 lmargin, rmargin Left amd right margin (in character width). This option has no effect in 3D plots. See "tmargin, bmargin". orient Orientation of the image. Possible values are "lanscape" (default) and "portrait". E.g. orient => "portrait" imagesize Size (length and height) of the image relative to the default. E.g. imagesize => "0.8, 0.5" size Size of the plot relative to the chart size. This is useful in some multi-plot such as inset chart. E.g. size => "0.5, 0.4" origin Origin of the chart. This is useful in some multi-plot such as inset chart. E.g. origin => "0.1, 0.5" timestamp Time stamp of the plot. To place the time stamp with default setting, timestamp => 'on' To set the format of the time stamp as well, e.g., timestamp => { fmt => '%d/%m/%y %H:%M', offset => "10,-3", font => "Helvetica", } bg (experimental) Background color of the chart. This option has no effect in the sub-chart of multiplot and is experimental. E.g. bg => "yellow" Properties can be specified in hash. E.g., bg => { color => "yellow", density => 0.2, } Supported properties are: color : color (name ot RRGGBB value) density : density of the coloring plotbg (experimental) Background color of the plot area. This option has no effect in 3D plots and is experimental. See bg. gnuplot The path of Gnuplot executable. This option is useful if you are using Windows or have multiple versions of Gnuplot installed. E.g., gnuplot => "C:Program Files...gnuplotinwgnuplot.exe"; # for Windows convert The path of convert executable of ImageMagick. This option is useful if you have multiple convert executables. terminal The terminal driver that Gnuplot uses. The default terminal is "postscript". This attribute is not recommended to be changed unless you are familiar with the Gnuplot syntax. Please check the output image carefully if you use this in production code. Terminal is not necessarily related to the output image format. You may convert the image format by the "convert()" method. Chart Methods new my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new(%options); Constructor of the chart object. If no option is specified, default values would be used. See "Chart Options" for available options. set General set methods for arbitrary number of options. $chart->set(%options); plot2d $chart->plot2d(@dataSets); Plot the data sets in a 2D chart. Each dataset is represented by a dataset object. plot3d $chert->plot3d(@dataSets); Plot the data sets in a 3D chart. Each dataset is represented by a dataset object. It is not yet completed. Only basic features are supported. multiplot $chert->multiplot(@charts); Plot multiple charts in the same image. animate Create animated gif. E.g. my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "animate.gif", ); my $T = 30; # number of frames my @c; for (my $i = 0; $i < $T; $i++) { $c[$i] = Chart::Gnuplot->new(xlabel => 'x'); my $ds = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "sin($i*2*pi/$T + x)", ); $c[$i]->add2d($ds); } $chart->animate( charts => @c, delay => 10, # delay 0.1 sec between successive images ); Supported properties are: charts : chart sequence used to create the animation delay : delay (in units of 0.01 second) between successive images, default : value is 5 See add2d and add3d. add2d Add a 2D dataset to a chart without plotting it out immediately. Used with "multiplot" or "animate". add3d Add a 3D dataset to a chart without plotting it out immediately. Used with "multiplot" or "animate". label Add an arbitrary text label. e.g., $chart->label( text => "This is a label", position => "0.2, 3 left", offset => "2,2", rotate => 45, font => "arial, 15", fontcolor => "dark-blue", pointtype => 3, pointsize => 5, pointcolor => "blue", ); arrow Draw arbitrary arrow. e.g., $chart->arrow( from => "0,2", to => "0.3,0.1", linetype => 'dash', width => 2, color => "dark-blue", headsize => 3, head => 'both', ); copy Copy the chart object. This method is especially useful when you want to copy a chart with highly customized format. E.g. my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( ... ); # $copy and $chart will have the same format my $copy = $chart->copy; You may also make multiple copies . E.g. my @copies = $chart->copy(10); # make 10 copies convert $chart->convert($imageFmt); Convert the image format to $imageFmt. See "Chart Options" for supported image formats. png $chart->png; Change the image format to PNG. gif $chart->gif; Change the image format to GIF. jpg $chart->jpg; Change the image format to JPEG. ps $chart->ps; Change the image format to postscript. pdf $chart->pdf Change the image format to PDF. command $chart->command($gnuplotCommand); Add a gnuplot command. This method is useful for the Gnuplot features that have not yet implemented. DATASET OBJECT
The dataset object can be initiated by the "new" method. Properties of the dataset may be specified optionally when the object is initiated: my $dataset = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new(%options); The data source of the dataset can be specified by either one of the following ways: 1. Arrays of x values, y values and z values (in 3D plots) of the data points. 2. Array of data points. Each point is specified as an array of x, y, z coordinates 3. Data file. 4. Mathematical expression (for a function). Dataset Options xdata, ydata, zdata The x, y, z values of the data points. E.g. xdata => @x If "xdata" is omitted but "ydata" is defined, the integer index starting from 0 would be used for "xdata". points Data point matrix of the format [[x1,y1], [x2,y2], [x3,y3], ...] points => @points datafile Input data file datafile => $file The data files are assumed to be space-separated, with each row corresponding to one data point. Lines beginning with "#" are considered as comments and would be ignored. Other formats are not supported at this moment. func Mathematical function to be plotted. E.g. func => "sin(x)*x**3" Supported functions: abs(x) : absolute value acos(x) : inverse cosine acosh(x) : inverse hyperbolic cosine arg(x) : complex argument asin(x) : inverse sine asinh(x) : inverse hyperbolic sine atan(x) : inverse tangent atanh(x) : inverse hyperbolic tangent besj0(x) : zeroth order Bessel function of the first kind besj1(x) : first order Bessel function of the first kind besy0(x) : zeroth order Bessel function of the second kind besy1(x) : first order Bessel function of the second kind ceil(x) : ceiling function cos(x) : cosine cosh(x) : hyperbolic cosine erf(x) : error function erfc(x) : complementary error function exp(x) : expontial function floor(x) : floor function gamma(x) : gamma function ibeta(a,b,x) : incomplete beta function inverf(x) : inverse error function igamma(a,x) : incomplete gamma function imag(x) : imaginary part invnorm(x) : inverse normal distribution function int(x) : integer part lambertw(x) : Lambert W function lgamma(x) : log gamma function log(x) : natural logarithm log10(x) : common logarithm norm(x) : normal distribution function rand(x) : pseudo random number real(x) : real part sgn(x) : sign function sin(x) : sine sinh(x) : hyperbolic sine sqrt(x) : square root tan(x) : tangent tanh(x) : hyperbolic tangent Please see the Gnuplot manual for updated information. Supported mathematical constants: pi : the circular constant 3.14159... Supported arithmetic operators: addition : + division : / exponentiation : ** factorial : ! modulo : % multiplication : * subtraction : -, e.g., 1-2 unary minus : -, e.g., -1 Supported logical operations: and : && complement : ~ equality : == greater than : > greater than or equal to : >= inequality : != less than : < less than or equal to : <= negation : ! or : || if ... than else ... : ?:, e.g., a ? b : c Parametric functions may be represented as hash. E.g. func => {x => 'sin(t)', y => 'cos(t)'} will draw a circle. title Title of the dataset (shown in the legend). style The plotting style for the dataset, including lines : join adjacent points by straight lines points : mark each points by a symbol linespoints : both "lines" and "points" dots : dot each points. Useful for large datasets impluses : draw a vertical line from the x-axis to each point steps : join adjacent points by steps boxes : draw a centered box from the x-axis to each point xerrorbars : "dots" with horizontal error bars yerrorbars : "dots" with vertical error bars xyerrorbars : both "xerrorbars" and "yerrorbars" xerrorlines : "linespoints" with horizontal error bars yerrorlines : "linespoints" with vertical error bars xyerrorlines : both "xerrorlines" and "yerrorlines" boxerrorbars : "boxes" with "yerrorbars" boxxyerrorbars : use rectangles to represent the data with errors financebars : finance bars for open, high, low and close price candlesticks : candle sticks for open, high, low and close price hbars : horizontal bars (experimental) hlines : horizontal lines (experimental) color Color of the dataset in the plot. Can be a named color ot RBG (#RRGGBB) value. The supported color names can be found in the file doc/colors.txt in the distribution. E.g. color => "#99ccff" # or color => "dark-red" width Line width used in the plot. linetype Line type. pointtype Point type. pointsize Point size of the plot. fill Filling string. Has effect only on plotting styles "boxes", "boxxyerrorbars" and "financebars". axes Axes used in the plot. Possible values are "x1y1", "x1y2", "x2y1" and "x2y2". timefmt Time format of the input data. The valid format are: %d : day of the month, 1-31 %m : month of the year, 1-12 %y : year, 2-digit, 0-99 %Y : year, 4-digit %j : day of the year, 1-365 %H : hour, 0-24 %M : minute, 0-60 %s : seconds since the Unix epoch (1970-01-01 00:00 UTC) %S : second, 0-60 %b : name of the month, 3-character abbreviation %B : name of the month smooth The smooth method used in plotting data points. Supported methods include cubic splines (csplines), Bezier curve (bezier) and other. Please see Gnuplot manual for details. Dataset Methods new my $dataset = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new(%options); Constructor of the dataset object. If no option is specified, default values would be used. See "Dataset Options" for available options. copy Copy the dataset object. This method is especially useful when you want to copy a dataset with highly customized format. E.g. my $dataset = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( ... ); # $copy and $dataset will have the same format and contain the same data my $copy = $dataset->copy; You may also make multiple copies . E.g. my @copies = $dataset->copy(10); # make 10 copies EXAMPLES
Some simple examples are shown below. Many more come with the distribution. 1. Plot a mathematical expression my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "expression.png" ); my $dataSet = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "sin(x)" ); $chart->plot2d($dataSet); 2. Plot from two Perl arrays, one for the x-axis data and the other the y-axis. my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "arrays.png" ); my $dataSet = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( xdata => @x, ydata => @y, ); $chart->plot2d($dataSet); 3. Plot x-y pairs # Data my @xy = ( [1.1, -3], [1.2, -2], [3.5, 0], ... ); my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "points.png" ); my $dataSet = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( points => @xy ); $chart->plot2d($dataSet); 4. Plot data from a data file my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "file.png" ); my $dataSet = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( datafile => "in.dat" ); $chart->plot2d($dataSet); 5. Chart title, axis label and legend # Chart object my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "trigonometric.gif", title => "Three basic trigonometric functions", xlabel => "angle in radian", ylabel => "function value" ); # Data set objects my $sine = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "sin(x)", title => "sine function" ); my $cosine = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "cos(x)", title => "cosine function" ); my $tangent = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "tan(x)", title => "tangent function" ); $chart->plot2d($sine, $cosine, $tangent); 6. Title in non-English characters (Thanks to WOLfgang Schricker) use Encode; my $title = ... # Title with German umlauts $title = decode("utf8", $title); Chart::Gnuplot->new( encoding => 'iso-8859-1', title => $title, ); 7. Plot a financial time series my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "dj.ps", title => "Dow-Jones Index time series", timeaxis => 'x', xtics => { labelfmt => '%b%y', }, ); my $dow = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( file => "dj.dat", timefmt => '%Y-%m-%d', # time format of the input data style => "candlesticks", grid => 'on', ); $chart->plot2d($dow); 8. Plot several graphs on the same image my $chart = Chart::Gnuplot->new( output => "multiplot.gif", ); my $left = Chart::Gnuplot->new(); my $sine = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "sin(x)", ); $left->add2d($sine); my $center = Chart::Gnuplot->new(); my $cosine = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "cos(x)", ); $center->add2d($cosine); my $right = Chart::Gnuplot->new(); my $tangent = Chart::Gnuplot::DataSet->new( func => "tan(x)", ); $right->add2d($tangent); # Place the Chart::Gnuplot objects in matrix to indicate their locations $chart->multiplot([ [$left, $center, $right] ]); WISH LIST
1. Improve the manual. 2. Add more control to the 3D plots. 3. Add curve fitting method. 4. Improve the testsuite. 5. Reduce number of temporary files generated. REQUIREMENTS
Carp, File::Copy, File::Temp, Storable Gnuplot <http://www.gnuplot.info> ImageMagick <http://www.imagemagick.org> (for full feature) SEE ALSO
Gnuplot official website <http://www.gnuplot.info> AUTHOR
Ka-Wai Mak <kwmak@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2008-2011 Ka-Wai Mak. All rights reserved. LICENSE
This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.12.4 2011-09-17 Chart::Gnuplot(3pm)