Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Re-directing issue.
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Re-directing issue. Post 302785181 by Nagaraja Akkiva on Monday 25th of March 2013 05:44:04 AM
Old 03-25-2013
Re-directing issue.

Hi All,

Have scheduled a cron entry to run once a week.

0 0 * * 1 /export/home/nz/history_load/prod/LoadManager.sh >>/dev/null 2>&1

Not sure, why this job did not got triggered last week. Want to know the reason behind not getting triggered.

I was re-directing the output of the command to >>/dev/null 2>&1
instead of logfile. Please let me know is there a way to chek this?

Thanks and Regards
Nagaraja Akkivalli.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Locating files and directing ouput

I'm trying to locate all files that do not contain the string /usr but do contain the string csh within the file called /etc/passwd. Then I would like to direct this output to a file called pout. Does anyone one have suggestions on this one? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: klannon
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directing output

How do I direct the output of an at command at now < backupprogram so that I see something happening. It says the job has been executed but I am not getting the tar file that my backup program on the computer anywhere at all Please help me - I really am a struggling begginer. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Cynergetix
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error re-directing

Hi, I'm running a program by executing the following command... convert NA 2> compiler.err Here is the command for debugging this process in IBM debugger... idebug convert NA 2> compiler.err On executing the above command the error output from idebug process is redirected to compiler.err,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fermisoft
3 Replies

4. Programming

Regardign strtok() output directing to 2-D string array

Hi, I just wrote a program in C to split a comma seperated string in to group of strings using strtok() function. The code is: int main() { char *temp;//not used here but basically we extract one string after another using strtok() and assign to a string pointer defined like this. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SankarV
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing program output to a file

When I do time tar cvf /dev/st0 /mnt/junk >> /root/benchlog, I want it to put the output of the time command into the benchlog file, but it put /mnt/junk. How do I get it to put the output of the tar command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jeriryan87
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

directing output to multiple files

I have a script in which some outputs are directed to one file echo "Load Started" >>${LOGFILE1} If I have another file LOGFILE2 and i want to redirect the output of the above echo command to LOGFILE2 as well with the same command line... how can i do that? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing awk output to a folder

Dear All I have a simple bash script that creates a folder ( I called it TEMP) in the current directory. The question is: how do I direct the output of my awk script into folder TEMP? Below is my attempt: #!/bin/bash mkdir TEMP echo Enter input file: read infile awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghetz
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing only part of a script's output to piped application

Is there a way to keep the output of a script displayed on the terminal when it's run by itself, but suspend part of that output and only have a specific part delivered when it's piped to another script or program? I'm thinking something like the following pseudocode: #!/bin/bash ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trigg
1 Replies

9. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Re-directing output

ps –xyz >/tmp/proc 2>&1 Can anyone explain what does '2' and '&1' will do here? Thanks to explain (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kkalyan
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Directing cat or grep command in variable

Hi, I still have the problem with directing information from cat or grep to a variable. For instance: XMSG "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt" "$(cat "$(date +%Y_%m_%d)_error_report.txt")" &Works! The text received by cat is directed to my function. If it is written like this, my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haukee
2 Replies
cron(8) 						      System Manager's Manual							   cron(8)

NAME
cron - The system clock daemon SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/cron DESCRIPTION
The cron daemon runs shell commands at specified dates and times. Commands that are to run according to a regular or periodic schedule are found within the crontab files. Commands that are to run once only are found within the at files. You submit crontab and at file entries by using the crontab and at commands. Because the cron process exits only when killed or when the system stops, only one cron daemon should exist on the system at any given time. Normally, you start the cron daemon from within a run command file. During process initialization and when cron detects a change, it examines the crontab and at files. This strategy reduces the overhead of checking for new or changed files at regularly scheduled intervals. The cron command creates a log of its activities. The cron daemon must be started from the system startup scripts because it must begin execution without a login user ID set. The cron daemon starts each job with the following process attributes stored with the job by the invoking process: Login user ID Effective and real user IDs Effective and real group IDs Supplementary groups It also establishes the following attributes from the authentication profile of the account associated with the login user ID of the invok- ing process: Audit control and disposition masks Kernel authorizations DIAGNOSTICS
The at and batch programs will refuse to accept jobs submitted from processes whose login user ID is different from the real user ID. FILES
Specifies the command path. Main cron directory Directory containing the crontab files. List of allowed users. List of denied users His- tory information for cron Queue description file for at, batch, and cron RELATED INFORMATION
Commands: at(1), crontab(1), rc0(8), rc2(8), rc3(8) Files: queuedefs(4) delim off cron(8)