Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to find memory taken by a process using top command? Post 302772664 by nixsavy on Tuesday 26th of February 2013 11:02:51 AM
Old 02-26-2013
For top command

To sort process as per swap page usage

Capital O followed by p (small p) andthen Enter key

not this is wat or something other u look

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to find memory used by a process

Hi, Can anyone help me out in writing the shell scrip which monitors a process which is running and gives me the output of the memory being used by the process, I have the requirement of monitorig the memory usage of the process when it is running. Please help me out (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vijayagiri
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix top command (memory usage)

in unix when i use top i get an output like this: load averages: 0.64, 0.57, 0.53 14:04:42 347 processes: 1 running, 1 waiting, 169 sleeping, 172 idle, 4 stopped CPU states: 16.4% user, 2.8% nice, 7.6%... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gfhgfnhhn
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i extract only the Memory line from top command ?

Hello all i need in csh to extract only the Memory line from the out put of the top command how can it easily done (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. AIX

Command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process

HI All, Can anyone send me a command to find TOP 5 Memory consuming process. It would be lelpful if I get output something like below processname - pid - memory(in MB) - command I tried few commands from the internet but the result only give the real memory usage or pagging, I want total... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bce_groups
4 Replies

5. AIX

Need a list of top 10 CPU using processes (also top 10 memory hogs, separately)

Okay, I am trying to come up with a multi-platform script to report top ten CPU and memory hog processes, which will be run by our enterprise monitoring application as an auto-action item when the CPU and Memory utilization gets reported as higher than a certain threshold I use top on other... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thenomad
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to find the Memory and CPU utilization using 'top' command

Hi all, I found like top command could be used to find the Memory and CPU utilization. But i want to know how to find the Memory and CPU utilization for a particular user using top command. Thanks in advance. Thanks, Ananthi.U (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ananthi_ku
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Free memory in top and prstat command

Hi Export, i execute 'top' command to show the free memory in Solaris host, but the read is much lower than the RSS value shown in prstat command. Which one can reflect the real status and it is possible the difference caused by any patch of OS? Top command (only 883 memory is free)... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eiga
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find which process consumes more memory

in our Oracle DB server, the free RAM is very low. we would like to know which process consumes more RAM what is the comand I can use ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

9. HP-UX

Find out most memory consumption process in HP UX

Dear All, I want to find out top 15 memory consumption processes in HP UX. Can anyone give me any idea about it? Kauser (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: makauser
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Kill top 5 memory uses process

Hi All, how to kill 5 top memory used process in my hp-ux. Thanks, Kki (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kki
9 Replies
SC_USAGE(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 					       SC_USAGE(1)

NAME
sc_usage -- show system call usage statistics SYNOPSIS
sc_usage [-c codefile] [-e] [-l] [-s interval] pid | cmd | -E execute DESCRIPTION
sc_usage displays an ongoing sample of system call and page fault usage statistics for a given process in a ``top-like'' fashion. It requires root privileges due to the kernel tracing facility it uses to operate. Page faults can be of the following types: PAGE_IN page had to read from disk ZERO_FILL page was created and zero filled COW page was copied from another page CACHE_HIT page was found in the cache The arguments are as follows: -c When the -c option is specified, it expects a path to a codefile that contains the mappings for the system calls. This option over- rides the default location of the system call codefile which is found in /usr/share/misc/trace.codes. -e Specifying the -e option generates output that is sorted by call count. This overrides the default sort by time. -l The -l option causes sc_usage to turn off its continuous window updating style of output and instead output as a continuous scrolling of data. -s By default, sc_usage updates its output at one second intervals. This sampling interval may be changed by specifying the -s option. Enter the interval in seconds. pid | cmd | -E execute The last argument must be a process id, a running command name, or using the -E option, an execution path followed by optional argu- ments. The system call usage data for the process or command is displayed. If the -E flag is used, sc_usage will launch the exe- cutable, pass along any optional arguments and display system call usage date for that executable. The data columns displayed are as follows: TYPE the system call type NUMBER the system call count CPU_TIME the amount of cpu time consumed WAIT_TIME the absolute time the process is waiting CURRENT_TYPE the current system call type LAST_PATHNAME_WAITED_FOR for each active thread, the last pathname that was referenced by a system call that blocked CUR_WAIT_TIME the cumulative time that a thread has been blocked THRD# the thread number PRI current scheduling priority The sc_usage command also displays some global state in the first few lines of output, including the number of preemptions, context switches, threads, faults and system calls, found during the sampling period. The current time and the elapsed time that the command has been running is also displayed here. The sc_usage command is also SIGWINCH savvy, so adjusting your window geometry may change the list of system calls being displayed. Typing a 'q' will cause sc_usage to exit immediately. Typing any other character will cause sc_usage to reset its counters and the display. SAMPLE USAGE
sc_usage Finder -e -s2 sc_usage will sort the Finder process usage data according to system call count and update the output at 2 second intervals. SEE ALSO
fs_usage(1), latency(1), top(1) Mac OS X October 28, 2002 Mac OS X