Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed to replace specific positions on line with file contents Post 302771934 by nwalsh88 on Friday 22nd of February 2013 07:29:18 AM
Old 02-22-2013
Hi balajesuri,

That's perfect, thanks for your help

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables

using sed to replace a specific string on a specific line number using variables this is where i am at grep -v WARNING output | grep -v spawn | grep -v Passphrase | grep -v Authentication | grep -v '/sbin/tfadmin netguard -C'| grep -v 'NETWORK>' >> output.clean grep -n Destination... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: todd.cutting
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need specific byte positions of a file

Hello , I need to extract data from specific byte positions of a file. I have tried the below command awk ' { printf "%s", substr($0, 642363,642369}' filename to extract data between byte positions 642363 and 642369 . However I did not get the expected result. I am new to awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rmv
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script replace positions if certain positions equal prescribed value

I am attempting to replace positions 44-46 with YYY if positions 48-50 = XXX. awk -F "" '{if (substr($0,48,3)=="XXX") $44="YYY"}1' OFS="" $filename > $tempfile But this is not working, 44-46 is still spaces in my tempfile instead of YYY. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: halplessProblem
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace specific contents in a file?

From the existing file, I need to replace specific contents possibly with var every time when the user changes the var. e.g the contents in the file file.txt is 'My name is $n and I am $y years old' and every time user changed the var outside the file, the contents of the file should be created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Emilywu
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace specific field on specific line sed or awk

I'm trying to update a text file via sed/awk, after a lot of searching I still can't find a code snippet that I can get to work. Brief overview: I have user input a line to a variable, I then find a specific value in this line 10th field in this case. After asking for new input and doing some... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: crownedzero
14 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - Replace string with file contents

Hello, I have two files: file1 and file2 file1 has the following info: --- host: "localhost" port: 3000 reporter_type: "zookeeper" zk_hosts: - "localhost:2181" file2 contains an IP address (1.1.1.1) What I want to do is replace localhost with 1.1.1.1, so that the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jay Kah
4 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

sed replace file contents by reading from another file

Hello, My input file1 is like this by tab-delimited chr1 mm10_knownGene stop_codon 3216022 3216024 0.000000 - . gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; chr1 mm10_knownGene CDS 3216025 3216968 0.000000 - 2 gene_id "uc007aeu.1"; transcript_id "uc007aeu.1"; ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacobs.smith
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search and replace specific positions of specific lines

Hi, I have a file with hundreds of lines. I want to search for particular lines starting with 4000, search and replace the 137-139 position characters; which will be '000', with '036'. Can all of this be done without opening a temp file and then moving that temp file to the original file name. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: dsid
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Replace specific positions in a file

I have a fixed-length positional file. I am trying to replace content of position 4-13 (length=10) with xxxxxxxxxx. Sample 2 rows in this file: H0187459823 172SMITH, JOE H0112345678 172DOE, JANE In this example 87459823 (from 1st line) and 12345678 (from 2nd line) (both in position... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Diver181
3 Replies
pr(1)							      General Commands Manual							     pr(1)

Name
       pr - print files

Syntax
       pr [ options ] [ files ]

Description
       The  command  prints  the  named files on the standard output.  If file is designated by a minus sign (-), or if no files are specified the
       command assumes standard input.	By default, the listing is separated into pages, each headed by the page number, a date and time, and  the
       name of the file.

By default, columns are of equal width, separated by at least one space.  Lines that do not fit are truncated. However, if the -s option is
       used, lines are not truncated and columns are separated by the separation character.

If the standard output is associated with a terminal, error messages are withheld until has finished printing.

Options
       The following options can be used singly or in combination:

-a      Prints multi-column output across the page.

-b      Prints blank headers.

-d      Double-spaces the output.

-eck    Expands input tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,... n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs are set at every eighth posi-
	       tion.  Tab characters in the input are expanded into the appropriate number of spaces.  The default for c (any non-digit character)
	       is the tab character; therefore, if c is given, it is treated as the input tab character.

-f      Uses form-feed character for new pages.	The default is to use a sequence of line-feeds.  The -f option causes the command to pause
	       before beginning the first page if the standard output is associated with a terminal.

-h      Uses the next argument as the header to be printed instead of the file name.

-ick    Replaces  white space in output by inserting tabs to character positions k+1, 2*k+1, 3*k+1,...n*k+1.  If k is 0 or is omitted, tabs
	       are set at every eighth position.  The default for c (any non-digit character) is the tab character; therefore, if c is	given,	it
	       is treated as the input tab character.

+k      Begins printing with page k (default is 1).

-k      Produces k-column output (default is 1).  The -e and -i options are assumed for multi-column output.

-lk     Sets the length of a page to k lines.  The default is 66 lines.

-m      Merges and prints all files simultaneously, one per column (overrides the -k, and -a options).

-nck    Numbers	lines.	The default for k is 20.  The number occupies the first k+1 character positions of each column of normal output or
	       each line of -m output.	If c, which is any non-digit character is given, it is appended to the line number  to	separate  it  from
	       whatever follows.  The default for c is a tab.

-ok     Offsets	each line by k character positions (default is 0).  The number of character positions per line is the sum of the width and
	       offset.

-p      Pauses before beginning each page if the output is directed to a terminal.  The command rings the bell at the terminal and awaits a
	       carriage return.

-r      Suppresses diagnostic reports on failure to open files.

-sc     Separates columns by the single character c instead of by the appropriate number of spaces (default for c is a tab).

-t      Suppresses  the	five-line  identifying header and the five-line trailer normally supplied for each page.  The -t option causes the
	       command to quit printing after the last line of each file without spacing to the end of the page.

-wk     Sets the width of a line to k character positions.  The default is 72 for equal-width multi-column output; otherwise  there  is	no
	       limit.

Examples
       Print file1 and file2 as a double-spaced, three-column listing with the heading:  file list.
       pr -3dh "file list" file1 file2
       Write file1 on file2, expanding tabs to columns 10, 19, 28, 37,...:
       pr -e9 -t <file1>file2

Files
       /dev/tty* to suspend messages

See Also
       cat(1)

pr(1)