Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Debian Testing (Is it Stable) Post 302768807 by tornow on Saturday 9th of February 2013 06:04:16 PM
Old 02-09-2013
Debian releases - more or less - every two years a new stable.. After another time there will be no more security upgrades, so you can't run any stable version much longer than 3 years. I wouldn't call that the next ice-age (compared to, say, Windows XP or Centos). That comes with certain advantages (one being that you don't need to upgrade packages all the time, which can be a mess if you run a lot of computers or devices). For the apps one wants newer there are debian-backports. And often it is easy enough to backport a package from testing or stable oneself. The above said: testing and unstable are both reasonably stable.

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Debian

Quickcam In Debian/testing

I have a Logitech Quickcam for Notebook and I am trying to install it. When I do the "make" command I get this error: user@host: /usr/src/modules/gspca$ make make -C /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build SUBDIRS=/usr/src/modules/gspca CC=cc modules make: *** /lib/modules/2.6.24-1-686/build: No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Texasone
1 Replies

2. Debian

Debian Stable + KDE

Hello, Unix - Forums. How can I set the DE to KDE on a fresh, netinst image of Debian Stable? By default, it installs GNOME. Is there a way to change that? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: intelinside
1 Replies

3. Debian

Need to upgrade Debian 7.8 to Debian 8.5 (Not 8.5)

Hello, I need to upgrade my Debian system 7.8 to 8.5 but by default via apt-get It moves to 8.6 version(latest stable version). I'm new to Debian so didn't figure out the solution. I've checked few suggestions over internet like editing apt source list file using snapshot archive. Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mannu2525
2 Replies
APTDCON(1)							    User manual 							APTDCON(1)

NAME
aptdcon - command line client for aptdaemon SYNOPSIS
aptdcon [OPTIONS] DESCRIPTION
aptdcon allows to perform package management tasks, e.g. installing or removing software, using aptdaemon. There isn't any need to be root to run this programme. OPTIONS
-v, --version Show the version number of the aptdcon. -h, --help Show information about the usage of the command. -d, --debug Show additional information on the command line. -i, --install PACKAGES Install the list of PACKAGES. If you want to install more than one package you have to put the package names into quotation marks. --reinstall PACKAGES Reinstall the list of PACKAGES. If you want to reinstall more than one package you have to put the package names into quotation marks. -r, --remove PACKAGES Remove the list of PACKAGES. If you want to remove more than one package you have to put the package names into quotation marks. -p, --purge PACKAGES Purge the list of PACKAGES. If you want to purge more than one package you have to put the package names into quotation marks. -u, --upgrade PACKAGES Upgrade the list of PACKAGES. If you want to upgrade more than one package you have to put the package names into quotation marks. --upgrade-system Upgrade the whole system. --fix-install Try to complete a previously cancelled installation by calling "dpkg --configure -a". --fix-depends Try to resolve unsatisified dependencies. Attention: Currently you don't get a confirmation of the changes, which makes this method quite dangerous since it could remove a lot of packages. --add-vendor-key PUBLIC_KEY_FILE Install the PUBLIC_KEY_FILE to authenticate and trust packages singed by the vendor. --add-vendor-key-from-keyserver PUBLIC_KEY_ID Download and install the PUBLIC_KEY_ID to authenticate and trust packages singed by the vendor. Requires the --keyserver to be set. --key-server KEYSERVER Download vendor keys from the given KEYSERVER. --remove-vendor-key FINGERPRINT Remove the vendor key of the given FINGERPRINT to no longer trust packages from this vendor. --add-repository 'DEB_LINE' Allow to install software from the repository specified by the given DEB_LINE. You have to put quotation marks around the DEB_LINE since it normally contains spaces: 'deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main' --sources-file SOURCES_FILE Specify an alternative sources file to which the new repository should be written. SOURCES_FILE should be only the basename: back- ports.list --list-trusted-vendors Show all trusted software vendors and theirs keys. --hide-terminal Do not attach to the interactive terminal of the underlying dpkg call. --allow-unauthenticated Allow to install packages which are not from a trusted vendor. EXAMPLES
The following command will install the package xterm and remove the package eterm in the same run: $ aptdcon --install "xterm" --remove "eterm" To handle more than one package the names have to be put into quotation marks. The following command will install xterm and eterm: $ aptdcon --install "xterm eterm" The following command will add the backport repository to the sources.list in a separate file /etc/apt/sources.list.d/backports.list : $ aptdcon --sources-file backports.list --add-repostiry "deb http://archive.backports.org/debian stable main" DIAGNOSTICS
By default aptdaemon logs to the syslog facility AptDaemon. Furthermore you can use the -d option to get additional information on the com- mand line. HOMEPAGE
https://launchpad.net/aptdaemon BUGS
You can report bugs at the Launchpad site of aptdaemon: https://bugs.launchpad.net/aptdaemon/+filebug AUTHOR
Sebastian Heinlein <devel at glatzor dot de> SEE ALSO
aptd(1), org.debian.apt(7), org.debian.apt.transaction(7) aptdaemon December 2009 APTDCON(1)