Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking IP address to host name conversion Post 302763573 by Scrutinizer on Wednesday 30th of January 2013 06:59:19 AM
Old 01-30-2013
I don't think there is a way. It is up to google what PTR records they provide for reverse lookups. You could use whois to try and find the IP-address owner..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Host IP address for a telnet session

I am using Tru64UX 5.1a on alphaserver 4100. Users access the application through Telnet sessions to this server. My requirement is to limit the users login through their PCs only. Is there any way I can accomplish this on the unix box ? I want to include a script in the .profile ( or... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: shauche
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Host ID vs MAC Address

Hi, I've got a Sun Solaris machine with host ID (840f8e57) and MAC address (0:14:4f:f:8e:57), how do I: 1. Write the MAC address in standard (IEEE 802) format, i.e. xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx? Do I need to add 0's before or after the 'f', i.e. 00-14-4f-0f-8e-57 or 00-14-4f-f0-8e-57? 2. What is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheBlueSky
4 Replies

3. Programming

host name to IP address

There's a piece in a C program I'm writing (Linux) that simply needs to take a host name and return an IP address (e.g., take 'mail.gnu.org' and return 199.232.76.166). I've gotten a successful status from getaddrinfo, but don't see any of the fields in the result structure that has what I'm... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cleopard
7 Replies

4. Solaris

How to get the IP address / Host name of client machine

Hi How to get the IP address / Host name of a particular user connected to Unix Server. For example: If used 'DevUser1' is connected to Unix server. I need to find out from which PC this connection has been made. How can this be achieved? Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVL
6 Replies

5. Solaris

No value in Ethernet address and Host ID at Ok prompt

Hi All, In Ultra 10 at time system is not displaying value for Ethernet address and Host ID. Also, when i am trying to change the value of environment variables i am getting below message and value is not changing Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarmani
4 Replies

6. AIX

function trace back and address to line number conversion

Hi, I am new to AIX and I am developing a small tool for our product which helps debug memory leaks etc. Q1)Is there a way in which i can get a function trace back as to the call (lets say malloc() )has been made in which file--> in which function. I tried using the #pragma options (... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wkdunreal
0 Replies

7. Programming

get host name by IP address

I'm trying to write a function to get the host name of any given IP address. I'm trying to follow this manual but I'm stuck. I'm using gcc and Linux. Any ideas? getnameinfo() #include <stdio.h> #include <netdb.h> #include <sys/socket.h> #include <arpa/inet.h> char... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: limmer
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

IP address to decimal format conversion

I have a file which consist of some class 4 IP address as 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.100 192.168.1.30 172.16.112.100 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 172.16.112.50 i want to store them in pure decimal notations instead of the given dotted decimal formats e.g.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaibhavkorde
2 Replies

9. Red Hat

Static IP Address setup for vm as well as the host system

Hello, Greetings!! I have a server with 3 TB of disk space and 12 GB RAM and a i7 processor. What I did thus far is to install Oracle Enterprise Linux (OEL 5.7)as the host system and install Oracle Virtual box and created 3 VM's. Installed OEL 5.7 on one of the VM, working on installing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rparavastu
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Command for Host Name to IP Address or Vice Versa

Hi, In unix or linux is there any command exist to identify Host Name to IP Address or Vice Versa? Thanks in advance (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nag_sathi
6 Replies
WHOIS(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  WHOIS(1)

NAME
whois -- Internet domain name and network number directory service SYNOPSIS
whois [-aAbfgiIklmPQrRS] [-c TLD | -h host] [-p port] [--] name ... DESCRIPTION
The whois utility looks up records in the databases maintained by several Network Information Centers (NICs). By default whois starts by querying the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) whois server, and follows referrals to whois servers that have more specific details about the query name. The IANA whois server knows about IP address and AS numbers as well as domain names. There are a few special cases where referrals do not work, so whois goes directly to the appropriate server. These include point-of-contact handles for ARIN, nic.at, NORID, and RIPE, and domain names under ac.uk. The options are as follows: -a Use the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) database. It contains network numbers used in those parts of the world covered neither by APNIC, AfriNIC, LACNIC, nor by RIPE. The query syntax is documented at https://www.arin.net/resources/whoisrws/whois_api.html#nicname -A Use the Asia/Pacific Network Information Center (APNIC) database. It contains network numbers used in East Asia, Australia, New Zea- land, and the Pacific islands. Get query syntax documentation using whois -A help -b Use the Network Abuse Clearinghouse database. It contains addresses to which network abuse should be reported, indexed by domain name. -c TLD This is the equivalent of using the -h option with an argument of "TLD.whois-servers.net". This can be helpful for locating country- class TLD whois servers. -f Use the African Network Information Centre (AfriNIC) database. It contains network numbers used in Africa and the islands of the western Indian Ocean. Get query syntax documentation using whois -f help -g Use the US non-military federal government database, which contains points of contact for subdomains of .GOV. -h host Use the specified host instead of the default. Either a host name or an IP address may be specified. -i Use the traditional Network Information Center (InterNIC) (whois.internic.net) database. This now contains only registrations for domain names under .COM, .NET, .EDU. You can specify the type of object to search for like whois -i 'type name' where type can be domain, nameserver, registrar. The name can contain * wildcards. -I Use the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) database. -k Use the National Internet Development Agency of Korea's (KRNIC) database. It contains network numbers and domain contact information for Korea. -l Use the Latin American and Caribbean IP address Regional Registry (LACNIC) database. It contains network numbers used in much of Latin America and the Caribbean. -m Use the Route Arbiter Database (RADB) database. It contains route policy specifications for a large number of operators' networks. -p port Connect to the whois server on port. If this option is not specified, whois defaults to port 43. -P Use the PeeringDB database of AS numbers. It contains details about presence at internet peering points for many network operators. -Q Do a quick lookup; whois will not attempt to follow referrals to other whois servers. This is the default if a server is explicitly specified using one of the other options or in an environment variable. See also the -R option. -r Use the R'eseaux IP Europ'eens (RIPE) database. It contains network numbers and domain contact information for Europe. Get query syntax documentation using whois -r help -R Do a recursive lookup; whois will attempt to follow referrals to other whois servers. This is the default if no server is explicitly specified. See also the -Q option. -S By default whois adjusts simple queries (without spaces) to produce more useful output from certain whois servers, and it suppresses some uninformative output. With the -S option, whois sends the query and prints the output verbatim. The operands specified to whois are treated independently and may be used as queries on different whois servers. ENVIRONMENT
WHOIS_SERVER The primary default whois server. If this is unset, whois uses the RA_SERVER environment variable. RA_SERVER The secondary default whois server. If this is unset, whois will use whois.iana.org. EXIT STATUS
The whois utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To obtain contact information about an administrator located in the Russian TLD domain "RU", use the -c option as shown in the following example, where CONTACT-ID is substituted with the actual contact identifier. whois -c RU CONTACT-ID (Note: This example is specific to the TLD "RU", but other TLDs can be queried by using a similar syntax.) The following example demonstrates how to query a whois server using a non-standard port, where ``query-data'' is the query to be sent to ``whois.example.com'' on port ``rwhois'' (written numerically as 4321). whois -h whois.example.com -p rwhois query-data Some whois servers support complex queries with dash-letter options. You can use the -- option to separate whois command options from whois server query options. A query containing spaces must be quoted as one argument to the whois command. The following example asks the RIPE whois server to return a brief description of its ``domain'' object type: whois -r -- '-t domain' SEE ALSO
Ken Harrenstien and Vic White, NICNAME/WHOIS, 1 March 1982, RFC 812. HISTORY
The whois command appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
April 25, 2016 BSD