Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Combining two files with a reference coloumn Post 302761431 by sau_boy on Friday 25th of January 2013 03:13:30 PM
Old 01-25-2013
The system is;

Code:
omerkah@unix> uname -a
SunOS claps8 5.10 Generic_147440-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining files

how will i combine these 2 files below, with the desired output specified below: file1: one two three four file2: red blue yellow green file3: aaa bbb ccc ddd (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Combining files

Hi, is there a way to combine 2 files together, joining line 1 from file A with line 1 from file B, line 2 from A with line 2 from B etc. File A File B 1 4 2 5 3 6 Combined result = File C 14 25 36 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Enda Martin
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two Files

I have two files which contain data from two different transactions in the same format: <Name> - <Count> My goal is to end up with data in this format after combining the two: <Name> - <Count1> - <Count2> Is this possible to do with awk, or is there something better? Thanks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bat711
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining Two Files

Could someone help me reduce the number of runs for a shell program I created? I have two text files below: $ more list1.txt 01 AAA 02 BBB 03 CCC 04 DDD $ more list2.txt 01 EEE 02 FFF 03 GGG I want to combine the lines with the same number to get the below: 01 AAA 01 EEE 02... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining two files

I have two files and I need to combine (not append - but combine a row to a row) eg: File1: apples grapes oranges lemons File2: red green orange yellow After combining, the file should look like: (the second column should start at a specific byte) apples red grapes green... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemangjani
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

combining two files

Hi Gurus, I have 2 files: File1 Filename1 xx Filename1 yy Filename1 Total Filename2 xx Filename2 yy Filename2 zz Filename2 Total Filename3 xx Filename3 Total and File2: Filename1 10296 xxx Date: 09/01/08 Filename2 10296 xxx Date: 09/05/08... (36 Replies)
Discussion started by: rock1
36 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need Help in reading N days files from a Directory & combining the files

Hi All, Request your expertise in tackling one requirement in my project,(i dont have much expertise in Shell Scripting). The requirement is as below, 1) We store the last run date of a process in a file. When the batch run the next time, it should read this file, get the last run date from... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dsfreddie
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining 2 files

i am having 2 files like this file 1 1, 2, 3, 4, file2 5, 6, 7, 8, what i want do is like this i want to put all the contents for file 2 after file 1,means adding column in file1 (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining files

Hi I have about 108 files (text files) that end with .avg and each one of these files have a distinct name that describes what is in the file. In each file there is a set of 80 values that are tab separated. I want to combine all 108 files into ONE main file. So each file is named: 1.avg... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Merge the three csv files as one according to first coloumn.

I have three files with similar pattern i need to merge all the coloumns side by side from all three files according to the first coloumn example as shown below I mentioned 5 coloumns only in example but i have around 15 coloumns in each file. file1: Name,Samples,Error,95RT,90RT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raghuram717
4 Replies
platform(4)							   File Formats 						       platform(4)

NAME
platform - directory of files specifying supported platforms SYNOPSIS
.platform DESCRIPTION
The Solaris operating environment release includes the .platform directory, a new directory on the Solaris CD image. This directory con- tains files (created by Sun and Solaris OEMs) that define platform support. These files are generically referred to as platform definition files. They provide a means to map different platform types into a platform group. Platform definition files in the .platform directory are used by the installation software to ensure that software appropriate for the architecture of the system will be installed. Sun provides a platform definition file named .platform/Solaris . This file is the only one that can define platform groups to which other platform definition files can refer. For example, an OEM platform definition file can refer to any platform group specified in the Solaris platform definition file. Other platform definition files are delivered by OEMs. To avoid name conflicts, OEMs will name their platform definition file with an OEM- unique string. OEMs should use whatever string they use to make their package names unique. This unique string is often the OEM's stock symbol. Comments are allowed in a platform definition file. A "#" begins a comment and can be placed anywhere on a line. Platform definition files are composed of keyword-value pairs, and there are two kinds of stanzas in the file: platform group definitions and platform identifications. o Platform group definitions: The keywords in a platform group definition stanza are: PLATFORM_GROUP The PLATFORM_GROUP keyword must be the first keyword in the platform group definition stanza. The value assigned to this keyword is the name of the platform group, for example: PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The PLATFORM_GROUP name is an arbitrary name assigned to a group of platforms. However, PLATFORM_GROUP typi- cally equals the output of the uname -m command. PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of all platforms in the platform group, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -p command on all platforms in the plat- form group. o Platform identifications: The keywords in a platform identification stanza are: PLATFORM_NAME The PLATFORM_NAME keyword must be the first keyword in the platform identification stanza. The PLAT- FORM_NAME is the name assigned to the platform, for example: PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 Typically, this name is the same as the value returned by the uname -icommand on the machine, but it need not be the same. The PLATFORM_NAME value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII characters. If it contains parentheses, it must contain only balanced parentheses. For example. the string "foo(bar)foo" is a valid value for this keyword, but "foo(bar" is not. The other keywords in the platform identification stanza can be in any order, as long as the PLATFORM_NAME keyword is first. PLATFORM_ID The value returned by the uname -i command on the machine, for example: PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SPARCstation-5 MACHINE_TYPE The value returned by the uname -m command on the machine, for example: MACHINE_TYPE=sun4c IN_PLATFORM_GROUP The platform group of which the platform is a member, for example: IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4c The platform group name must be specified in the same file as the platform identification stanza or in the platform definition file with the name .platform/Solaris . The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP keyword is optional. A platform doesn't have to belong to a platform group. If a platform is not explicitly assigned to a platform group, it essentially forms its own platform group, where the platform group name is the PLATFORM_NAME value. The IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value typically equals the output of the uname -m command. IN_PLATFORM_GROUP value cannot have white space and is limited to 256 ASCII char- acters. INST_ARCH The instruction set architecture of the platform, for example: INST_ARCH=sparc This field is only required if the platform does not belong to a platform group. The INST_ARCH keyword value must be the value returned by the uname -i command on all platforms in the platform group. COMPATIBILITY
The installation program will remain compatible with the old Solaris CD format. If a Solaris CD image does not contain any platform defini- tion files, the installation and upgrade programs will select the packages to be installed based on machine type, that is, the value returned by the uname -p command. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Platform Group Definitions The following example shows platform group definitions from the .platform/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u INST_ARCH=sparc Example 2 Platform Identification Stanzas The following example shows platform identification stanzas, which define systems that belong in a platform group, from the .plat- form/Solaris platform definition file. # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,SunFire PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,SunFire IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u # PLATFORM_NAME=SUNW,Ultra-80 PLATFORM_ID=SUNW,Ultra-80 IN_PLATFORM_GROUP=sun4u FILES
The .platform directory must reside as /cd_image/Solaris_vers/.platform, where cd_image Is the path to the mounted Solaris CD (/cdrom/cdrom0/s0 by default) or the path to a copy of the Solaris CD on a disk. Solaris_vers Is the version of Solaris, for example, Solaris_2.9. NOTES
Typically, a platform identification stanza contains either a PLATFORM_ID or a MACHINE_TYPE stanza, but not both. If both are specified, both must match for a platform to be identified as this platform type. Each platform identification stanza must con- tain either a PLATFORM_ID value or a MACHINE_TYPE value. If a platform matches two different platform identification stanzas--one which matched on the value of PLATFORM_ID and one which matched on the value of MACHINE_TYPE , the one that matched on PLATFORM_ID will take precedence. The .platform directory is part of the Solaris CD image, whether that be the Solaris CD or a copy of the Solaris CD on a system's hard disk. SunOS 5.11 19 Nov 2002 platform(4)