Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Need help with repeating variables in a shell script Post 302760725 by Corona688 on Thursday 24th of January 2013 01:32:02 PM
Old 01-24-2013
This uses the terminal's built-in properties for read timeouts:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

old_tty_settings=$(stty -g)
# This restores the terminal settings even if you quit with ctrl-C
trap "stty $old_tty_settings" EXIT

stty -echo -icanon min 1 time 1

STRING=$(dd if=/dev/tty count=1 2>/dev/null)

echo "Read $STRING"

The terminal waits for multiple keystrokes yet times out quickly, and no loop is required. I can't type fast enough to get more than one letter in, but if I paste something to the terminal it gets the whole thing.

You still have to use dd, not the read builtin, because read messes with the terminal device too, undoing all the fancy settings you've been trying to arrange.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script Variables

HI guys I need to store the output of a sql query in a variable, can you tell me how to do that eg) select count(*) from s_escl_req $count = count(*) from s_escl_req how would i store the count(*) from the sql statement in a variable called $count. thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ragha81
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Repeating variables in the code

Hi all, I had written 3 KSH scripts for different functionalities. In all these 3 files there are some 30 variables in common. So I want to reduce the code by placing these variables in a common properties file named (dataload.prop/dataload.parms/dataload.txt) or txt file and access it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahalakshmi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

I have a variable $exe in a shell script file a.sh which I need to access in another shell script file b.sh. How can I do that? :rolleyes: Thanks!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: looza
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Accessing variables of one shell script in another shell script

Hi All, I have a shell script called sample1.sh where I have 2 variables. Now I have another shell script called sample2.sh. I want the variables in sample1.sh to be available to sample2.sh. For example. In sample1.sh I am finding the sum of 2 numbers namely a and b. Now I want to access... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsendhilmani
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variables in shell script

mysqldump --compact --add-drop-table -h192.168.150.80 -uroot -p somePass $combined | sed '/$combined/$table/g' | mysql $databaseThe sed part is not working from the above statement. The variables combined and table are already defined and instead of showing the actual variable, it is executing the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shantanuo
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to extract data in repeating tags from xml

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. I need to extract data between repeating tags from an xml file and store the data in an array to process it further. <ns1:root xmlns:ns1="http://example.com/config"> <ns1:interface>in1</ns1:interface> <ns1:operation attribute1="true" attribute2="abd"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sailendra
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Adding variables to repeating strings

Hello, I want to add a letter to the end of a string if it repeats in a column. so if I have a file like this: DOG001 DOG0023 DOG004 DOG001 DOG0023 DOG001 the output should look like this: DOG001-a DOG0023-a DOG004 DOG001-b (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: verse123
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to write Config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to write config shell script to pass variables in master shell script?

Dear Unix gurus, We have a config shell script file which has 30 variables which needs to be passed to master unix shell script that invokes oracle database sessions. So those 30 variables need to go through the database sessions (They are inputs) via a shell script. one of the variable name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dba1981
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to create runtime variables based on the number of parameters passed in the script

Hi All, I have a script which intends to create as many variables at runtime, as the number of parameters passed to it. The script needs to save these parameter values in the variables created and print them abc.sh ---------- export Numbr_Parms=$# export a=1 while do export... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev.devil.1983
3 Replies
GIT-SH-SETUP(1) 						    Git Manual							   GIT-SH-SETUP(1)

NAME
git-sh-setup - Common git shell script setup code SYNOPSIS
. "$(git --exec-path)/git-sh-setup" DESCRIPTION
This is not a command the end user would want to run. Ever. This documentation is meant for people who are studying the Porcelain-ish scripts and/or are writing new ones. The git sh-setup scriptlet is designed to be sourced (using .) by other shell scripts to set up some variables pointing at the normal git directories and a few helper shell functions. Before sourcing it, your script should set up a few variables; USAGE (and LONG_USAGE, if any) is used to define message given by usage() shell function. SUBDIRECTORY_OK can be set if the script can run from a subdirectory of the working tree (some commands do not). The scriptlet sets GIT_DIR and GIT_OBJECT_DIRECTORY shell variables, but does not export them to the environment. FUNCTIONS
die exit after emitting the supplied error message to the standard error stream. usage die with the usage message. set_reflog_action set the message that will be recorded to describe the end-user action in the reflog, when the script updates a ref. git_editor runs an editor of user's choice (GIT_EDITOR, core.editor, VISUAL or EDITOR) on a given file, but error out if no editor is specified and the terminal is dumb. is_bare_repository outputs true or false to the standard output stream to indicate if the repository is a bare repository (i.e. without an associated working tree). cd_to_toplevel runs chdir to the toplevel of the working tree. require_work_tree checks if the current directory is within the working tree of the repository, and otherwise dies. require_work_tree_exists checks if the working tree associated with the repository exists, and otherwise dies. Often done before calling cd_to_toplevel, which is impossible to do if there is no working tree. require_clean_work_tree <action> [<hint>] checks that the working tree and index associated with the repository have no uncommitted changes to tracked files. Otherwise it emits an error message of the form Cannot <action>: <reason>. <hint>, and dies. Example: require_clean_work_tree rebase "Please commit or stash them." get_author_ident_from_commit outputs code for use with eval to set the GIT_AUTHOR_NAME, GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL and GIT_AUTHOR_DATE variables for a given commit. GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 1.7.10.4 11/24/2012 GIT-SH-SETUP(1)