Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Perl Question - split function with csv file Post 302760135 by WongSifu on Wednesday 23rd of January 2013 11:58:29 AM
Old 01-23-2013
[Solved] Perl Question - split function with csv file

Hi all,

I have a csv file that appears as follows:

Code:
,2013/03/26,2012/12/26,4,1,"2017/09/26,5.75%","2017/09/26,1,2018/09/26,1,2019/09/26,1,2020/09/26,1,2021/09/26,1",,,2012/12/26,

now when i use the split function like this:

Code:
my @f  = split/,/;

the split function will split the data that is within the ".

What I need to do is still split based on a "," but not look at the "," that are in the quotes.

I'm pretty stumped here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by radoulov; 01-23-2013 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: Marked as solved.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl split function

$mystring = "name:blk:house::"; print "$mystring\n"; @s_format = split(/:/, $mystring); for ($i=0; $i <= $#s_format; $i++) { print "index is $i,field is $s_format"; print "\n"; } $size = $#s_format + 1; print "total size of array is $size\n"; i am expecting my size to be 5, why is it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: new2ss
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use split function in perl

Hello, if i have file like this: 010000890306932455804 05306977653873 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC30693599000 30971360000 ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ202011302942311 010000890306946317387 05306977313623 0520080417010520ISMS SMT ZZZZZZZZZZZZZOC306942190000 30971360000... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chriss_58
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl-like split function for bash?

Hi! I'm doing bash shell scripting and would like to know if bash had something similar to perl's split function? Ultimately, I want to split two strings (delimeter = '.') and compare each of their values. Thus, I figured putting them in an array would be easiest. So i.e.: String 1:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eur0dad
5 Replies

4. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: castle
1 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL split function

Hi... I have a question regarding the split function in PERL. I have a very huge csv file (more than 80 million records). I need to extract a particular position(eg : 50th position) of each line from the csv file. I tried using split function. But I realized split takes a very long time. Also... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

7. Programming

split xlsx to csv using perl

Hi, I am new to perl. I want to split excel 2007 file to csv. every formula should be evaluated on each field. Plz help me (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malikshahid85
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl int function solved

Hello, I have the below perl function int to return the integer value from the expression but it is not. I am not sure if something misses out here. Any help on this? Thanks in advance. # Code sample Start my $size = int (`1134 sample_text_here`); print "$size \n"; # Code end ----------... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nmattam
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

regular expression for split function in perl

Hi, Below is an example of a record I have, which I wish to split using the perl's split function and load it into an array. I am having tough time figuring out the exact reg-ex to perform the split. Given record: "a","xyz",0,2,48,"abcd","lmno,pqrR, stv",300,"abc",20, The delimiter to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jghoshal
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl split function

my @d =split('\|', $_); west|ACH|3|Y|LuV|N||N|| Qt|UWST|57|Y|LSV|Y|Bng|N|KT| It Returns d as 8 for First Line, and 9 as for Second Line . I want to Process Both the Files, How to Handle It. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwakar
3 Replies
SPLIT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  SPLIT(1)

NAME
split -- split a file into pieces SYNOPSIS
split -d [-l line_count] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -n chunk_count [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] split -d -p pattern [-a suffix_length] [file [prefix]] DESCRIPTION
The split utility reads the given file and breaks it up into files of 1000 lines each (if no options are specified), leaving the file unchanged. If file is a single dash ('-') or absent, split reads from the standard input. The options are as follows: -a suffix_length Use suffix_length letters to form the suffix of the file name. -b byte_count[K|k|M|m|G|g] Create split files byte_count bytes in length. If k or K is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count kilobyte pieces. If m or M is appended to the number, the file is split into byte_count megabyte pieces. If g or G is appended to the num- ber, the file is split into byte_count gigabyte pieces. -d Use a numeric suffix instead of a alphabetic suffix. -l line_count Create split files line_count lines in length. -n chunk_count Split file into chunk_count smaller files. -p pattern The file is split whenever an input line matches pattern, which is interpreted as an extended regular expression. The matching line will be the first line of the next output file. This option is incompatible with the -b and -l options. If additional arguments are specified, the first is used as the name of the input file which is to be split. If a second additional argument is specified, it is used as a prefix for the names of the files into which the file is split. In this case, each file into which the file is split is named by the prefix followed by a lexically ordered suffix using suffix_length characters in the range ``a-z''. If -a is not speci- fied, two letters are used as the suffix. If the prefix argument is not specified, the file is split into lexically ordered files named with the prefix ``x'' and with suffixes as above. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_COLLATE environment variables affect the execution of split as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The split utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
csplit(1), re_format(7) STANDARDS
The split utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A split command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The maximum line length for matching patterns is 65536. BSD
May 9, 2013 BSD