Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Change the default group of a user Post 302757941 by Anupam_Halder on Friday 18th of January 2013 08:15:27 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
If you don't have root privileges, then you'd better ask someone who has Smilie
but the user is already into that group .. I just want one of change the default one.. still need the root access?

Thought it can be done without root access. Seems like need to raise ticket for the same to unix admin and have to wait for their SLA Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change Group

I need to change group for a file elektro.log currently the owner is buddy and group is assigned as other i need to change the group to freinds I issued this command chgrp freinds elektro.log but i encounetered error like "....not owner" do i need to su as root to perform this action. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vilves
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Change Group

Hi... -bash-3.00$ id -a uid=1004(oracle) gid=101(oinstall) groups=101(oinstall),100(dba) How to change gid from oinstall group to dba group?? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: adzuanamir
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find all files with group read OR group write OR user write permission

I need to find all the files that have group Read or Write permission or files that have user write permission. This is what I have so far: find . -exec ls -l {} \; | awk '/-...rw..w./ {print $1 " " $3 " " $4 " " $9}' It shows me all files where group read = true, group write = true... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunter63
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX user ID and group ID change

Hello AIX gurus, I have a requirement where I have to change user ID of user "myuser" from 100 to 200 and also the group ID of "mygroup" from 2 to 3. Please note that "myuser" has "mygroup" as it's primary group. What steps do I need to follow for this and in what order? Also can you please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sacguy08
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change Default Shell for any user?

Hi, I am new for solaris... how can we change default shell for any user and how to check that which shall currently we are in...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lalit21984
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change default group?

Hi frnds, I would like to change my default group. I tried using newgrp, but it will change the group in that xterm only. If i open a new xterm that setting is gone. Also i tried by putting newgrp <my_grp> into the file .cshrc which will be run during startup. Eventhough its working, it is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: appualex
5 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Create New User with the same group nd privileges of the other user

Hi, Anyone can help me on how to duplicate privileges and group for useroradb01 to userrootdb01. I have currently using "useroradb01" and create a newly user "userrootdb01". I want both in the sames privileges and group. Please see the existing users list below; drwxr-xr-x 53 useroradb01... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fspalero
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change default shell of a specific user with awk

I would like to replicate the functionality of chsh (or passwd -e) by awk. This is what I got so far, but I think there should be an easier way to search and replace field $7 only for lines beginning with user_name: awk -v user_name="$user_name" -v new_shell="$new_shell" -F: '$1 == user_name {... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nomad84
2 Replies

9. Linux

Default user:group permissions while creating files and directories

Hi, I am working on setup a environment where only a specific user can upload the builds on htdocs of apache. Now i want that a specific user can copy the builds on htdocs folder. I created a group "deploy" and assign user1 and user2 to this group. On Apache side i mentioned User=deploy... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunnysthakur
3 Replies

10. Red Hat

User is a Part of a Group But Group Details Do Not Show the User

Hi, In the following output you can see the the user "richard" is a member on the team/group "developers": # id richard uid=10247(richard) gid=100361(developers) groups=100361(developers),10053(testers) but in the following details of the said group (developers), the said user... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
3 Replies
PAM_WHEEL(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						      PAM_WHEEL(8)

NAME
pam_wheel - Only permit root access to members of group wheel SYNOPSIS
pam_wheel.so [debug] [deny] [group=name] [root_only] [trust] DESCRIPTION
The pam_wheel PAM module is used to enforce the so-called wheel group. By default it permits root access to the system if the applicant user is a member of the wheel group. If no group with this name exist, the module is using the group with the group-ID 0. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. deny Reverse the sense of the auth operation: if the user is trying to get UID 0 access and is a member of the wheel group (or the group of the group option), deny access. Conversely, if the user is not in the group, return PAM_IGNORE (unless trust was also specified, in which case we return PAM_SUCCESS). group=name Instead of checking the wheel or GID 0 groups, use the name group to perform the authentication. root_only The check for wheel membership is done only. trust The pam_wheel module will return PAM_SUCCESS instead of PAM_IGNORE if the user is a member of the wheel group (thus with a little play stacking the modules the wheel members may be able to su to root without being prompted for a passwd). MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
The auth and account module types are provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR Authentication failure. PAM_BUF_ERR Memory buffer error. PAM_IGNORE The return value should be ignored by PAM dispatch. PAM_PERM_DENY Permission denied. PAM_SERVICE_ERR Cannot determine the user name. PAM_SUCCESS Success. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User not known. EXAMPLES
The root account gains access by default (rootok), only wheel members can become root (wheel) but Unix authenticate non-root applicants. su auth sufficient pam_rootok.so su auth required pam_wheel.so su auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(7) AUTHOR
pam_wheel was written by Cristian Gafton <gafton@redhat.com>. Linux-PAM Manual 05/31/2011 PAM_WHEEL(8)