Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution. Post 302757833 by stf92 on Friday 18th of January 2013 05:17:31 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution.

Hi: suppose you want to look for file foo belonging to the Slackware N.N distribution. Then either you make a full installation or N.N and look into /var/log/packages (grep) or you go to some Slackware index tree in the web and you traverse the tree node by node, which would be a great deal of work to do and therefor impracticable.

Now suppose further that you are not able, momentarily, to install N.N to your disk. Perhaps you have it now occupied by another O.S. or for whatever reason. So your only place where to look at is the N.N disk itself. In this disk your have PACKAGES.TXT and FILELIST.TXT. But neither of these will do. They list packages but not their contents.

So, in spite of having the disk, you arent able to know if foo is there or not or, in case you know it is, in which package. Is this really true?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies
GPT-INSTALL(8)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    GPT-INSTALL(8)

NAME
gpt-install - Installs GPT packages. SYNOPSIS
gpt-install [options] [packages or bundles] Options: -verbose Print copious output -help Print usage -man Print man page. -version Print GPT version. -force Replace package no matter what. -loose Replace a broader range of packages. -installdir=PATH Override $GLOBUS_LOCATION. -tmpdir=PATH Path to tmp disk space [packages or bundles] List of binary packages and bundles to install. DESCRIPTION
gpt-install takes a GPT described package or bundle and installs it. The program can install either RPM's or GPT packages. OPTIONS
-force forces all action to be taken, regardless of state. -tmpdir Place to unpack bundles. -installdir Directory to which files shall be written. Default is $GLOBUS_LOCATION -loose pgm packages can replace a pgm_static package (and vice versa) or a pgm package with a different flavor. -help Print a brief help message and exits. -man Prints the manual page and exits. -version Prints the version of GPT and exits. EXAMPLES
For the command: gpt-install foo-2.1-gcc32-pgm.tar.gz foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm will B<not> be replaced. It is newer. foo-1.1-vendorcc32-pgm will B<not> be replaced. Wrong flavor. foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm_static will B<not> be replaced. Wrong package type foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm_static will B<not> be replaced. Wrong package type For the command: gpt-install -force foo-2.1-gcc32-pgm.tar.gz foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-1.1-vendorcc32-pgm will B<not> be replaced. Wrong flavor foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm_static will B<not> be replaced. Wrong package type foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm_static will B<not> be replaced. Wrong package type For the command: gpt-install -loose foo-2.1-gcc32-pgm.tar.gz foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm will B<not> be replaced. It is newer. foo-1.1-vendorcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm_static will B<not> be replaced. It is newer. For the command: gpt-install -force -loose foo-2.1-gcc32-pgm.tar.gz foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-1.1-vendorcc32-pgm will be replaced. foo-1.1-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. foo-2.2-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. BUGS
gpt-install currently does not honor static build numbers. Instead it will replace any pgm_static package that is the same version or older. For example: gpt-install -force foo-2.1-2-gcc32-pgm_static.tar.gz foo-1.1-5-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. foo-2.1-1-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. foo-2.1-5-gcc32-pgm_static will be replaced. foo-2.2-1-gcc32-pgm_static will not be replaced. foo-2.1-gcc32-pgm will not be replaced. SEE ALSO
gpt-uninstall(1) gpt-query(1) gpt-verify(1) AUTHOR
Michael Bletzinger <mbletzin.ncsa.uiuc.edu> and Eric Blau <eblau.ncsa.uiuc.edu> perl v5.14.2 2012-04-30 GPT-INSTALL(8)