Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Slackware Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution. Post 302757833 by stf92 on Friday 18th of January 2013 05:17:31 AM
Old 01-18-2013
Looking for a file within a given slackware distribution.

Hi: suppose you want to look for file foo belonging to the Slackware N.N distribution. Then either you make a full installation or N.N and look into /var/log/packages (grep) or you go to some Slackware index tree in the web and you traverse the tree node by node, which would be a great deal of work to do and therefor impracticable.

Now suppose further that you are not able, momentarily, to install N.N to your disk. Perhaps you have it now occupied by another O.S. or for whatever reason. So your only place where to look at is the N.N disk itself. In this disk your have PACKAGES.TXT and FILELIST.TXT. But neither of these will do. They list packages but not their contents.

So, in spite of having the disk, you arent able to know if foo is there or not or, in case you know it is, in which package. Is this really true?

2 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies
POLIPO(1)						      General Commands Manual							 POLIPO(1)

NAME
polipo - a caching web proxy SYNOPSIS
polipo [ -h | -v | -x ] [ -c config ] [ var=val ]... DESCRIPTION
Polipo is a caching HTTP proxy. It listens to requests for web pages from your browser and forwards them to web servers, and forwards the servers' replies to your browser. In the process, it optimises and cleans up the network traffic. By default, Polipo listens on TCP port 8123. Please configure your web browser to use the proxy on localhost port 8123. OPTIONS
-h Display help and exit. -v Display the list of configuration variables and exit. -x Purge the on-disk cache and exit. -c Select an alternate configuration file. var=val Change the value of a configuration variable. FILES
/etc/polipo/config The default location of Polipo's configuration file. /etc/polipo/forbidden The default location of the list of forbidden URLs. /var/cache/polipo/ The default location of the on-disk cache. /usr/share/polipo/www/ The default root of the local web space. SIGNALS
SIGUSR1 write out all in-memory objects to disk and reload the forbidden URLs file. SIGUSR2 write out all in-memory objects to disk, discard all in-memory objects, and reload the forbidden URLs file. SIGTERM, SIGINT, SIGHUP write out all in-memory objects to disk and quit. SECURITY
The internal web server will follow symbolic links that point outside the local document tree. You should run Polipo in a chroot jail if that is a problem. There is no reason to run Polipo as root. FULL DOCUMENTATION
The full manual for Polipo is maintained in a texinfo file, and is normally available through a web server internal to Polipo. Please make sure that Polipo is running, and point your favourite web browser at http://localhost:8123/ Alternatively, you may type $ info polipo at a shell prompt, or C-h i m polipo RET in Emacs. AUTHOR
Polipo was written by Juliusz Chroboczek. POLIPO(1)