Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Convert columns to row using awk Post 302756107 by radoulov on Tuesday 15th of January 2013 08:05:09 AM
Old 01-15-2013
I'll try to explain the script.

Code:
func buildrec() {
  if (match($0, />[^<]*<\//))
    rec = length(rec) ? rec OFS substr($0, RSTART + 1, RLENGTH - 3) : \
      substr($0, RSTART + 1, RLENGTH - 3)

buildrec is a user defined function that I used to avoid to repeat the same code for every match.
The function doesn't require parameters as it directly modifies
the global variable rec.
The function code performs the following actions:
- search for the pattern: an > followd by 0 or more occurrences of characters different than <, followed by the closing tag sequence </,
using the following regular expression: >[^<]*<\/
- when match is found, the value is appended to the variable rec (short for record). RSTART and RLENGTH are automatically set by the match builtin function

After that, the code is simple:

Code:
  /col[1-3,5]/ { buildrec() }
  /<TR class="[^"]*"> *$/ && length(rec) {
    print rec
    rec = x
    }

When the records match the pattern represented by the regular expression col[1-3,5], build the record - append the values.
When the pattern <TR class="[^"]*"> *$ matches for a second time (rec is already build) - print the record and reset it: rec = x.
x is an uninitialized variable, so I'm using it as a shortcut for "".
This User Gave Thanks to radoulov For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert matrix to row and columns

Dear Unix Gurus, I have a sample data set that looks like this y1 y2 y3 y4 y5 x1 0.3 0.5 2.3 3.1 5.1 x2 1.2 4.1 3.5 1.7 1.2 x3 3.1 2.1 1.0 4.1 2.1 x4 5.0 4.0 6.0 7.0 1.1 I want to open it up so that I get x1 y1 0.3 x2 y1 1.2 x3 y1 3.1 x4 y1 5.0 x1 y2 0.5 x2 y2... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to convert 2 column data into multiple columns based on a keyword in a row??

Hi Friends I have the following input data in 2 columns. SNo 1 I1 Value I2 Value I3 Value SNo 2 I4 Value I5 Value I6 Value I7 Value SNo 3 I8 Value I9 Value ............... ................ SNo N (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert columns to single row

Hello all I have data like 1 2 3 4 5 I wish my output would be like 1,2,3,4,5 For this i have executed 'BEGIN {FS="\n"; ORS=","} {print $0}' test and got the output as 1,2,3,4,5, I do not want to have , at the end of 5. output should be like (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

By using AWK can I convert matrice shaped data to a row ?

Hello, I have output in the matrice form , for example: 1 2 3 4 a b c d jim joe sue tom how can I convert this line-column data into a row as follows 1 2 3 4 a b c d jim joe sue tom thank you (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: rpf
14 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk print specific columns one row at a time

Hello, I have the following piece of code: roleName =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $1 }'` roleDescription =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $2 }'` roleAuthProfile =`cat $inputFile | awk -F';' '{ print $3 }'` mappedUserID (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pr0tocoldan
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk: convert column to row in a specific way

Hi all! I have this kind of output: a1|b1|c1|d1|e1 a2|b2|c2 a3|b3|c3|d3 I would like to transpose columns d and e (when they exist) in column c, and under the row where they come from. Then copying the beginning of the row. In order to obtain: a1|b1|c1 a1|b1|d1 a1|b1|e1 a2|b2|c2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lucasvs
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert row to columns start from nth column

Dear All, We have input like this: 161 57 1378 176 1392 262 1444 441 1548 538 1611 670 1684 241 57 1378 208 1393 269 1447 444 1549 538 1610 677 1700 321 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: attila
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk split columns to row after N number of column

I want to split this with every 5 or 50 depend on how much data the file will have. And remove the comma on the end Source file will have 001,0002,0003,004,005,0006,0007,007A,007B,007C,007E,007F,008A,008C Need Output from every 5 tab and remove the comma from end of each row ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ranjancom2000
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide				Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::Script - standard codes for script identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::Script; $script = code2script('phnx'); # 'Phoenician' $code = script2code('Phoenician'); # 'Phnx' $code = script2code('Phoenician', LOCALE_CODE_NUMERIC); # 115 @codes = all_script_codes(); @scripts = all_script_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::Script" module provides access to standards codes used for identifying scripts, such as those defined in ISO 15924. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 15924 four-letter codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying scripts. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $script = code2script('phnx','alpha'); $script = code2script('phnx',LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha, LOCALE_SCRIPT_ALPHA This is a set of four-letter (capitalized) codes from ISO 15924 such as 'Phnx' for Phoenician. It also includes additions to this set included in the IANA language registry. The Zxxx, Zyyy, and Zzzz codes are not used. This is the default code set. num, LOCALE_SCRIPT_NUMERIC This is a set of three-digit numeric codes from ISO 15924 such as 115 for Phoenician. ROUTINES
code2script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) script2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) script_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_script_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_script_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::Script::rename_script_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::add_script_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::Script::delete_script_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.unicode.org/iso15924/ Home page for ISO 15924. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 1997-2001 Canon Research Centre Europe (CRE). Copyright (c) 2001-2010 Neil Bowers Copyright (c) 2010-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::Script(3pm)