Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help me in just providing idea about what to be done? Post 302753997 by Syed Imran on Wednesday 9th of January 2013 11:31:27 PM
Old 01-10-2013
Hammer & Screwdriver Help me in just providing idea about what to be done?

Hi,

I am thinking to increase my knowledge towards shell scripting and tcl scripting.
The thing is, please suggest me a script which i can code is useful in learning as well as to project it to my team mates and it is helpful to all my office team mates.

I'll give you an idea of what we regularly use in my office.

1. fix bugs in tcl and shell
2. daily we runinit eval boards (initialization which runs for min 25mins)
3. we use vim, nedit, gvim, cscope, clear case.

Please suggest me something which will be useful to all.

Any general script is also fine.

Thanks in advance

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Providing a Link to Perl

I was wondering how I can create a link to the perl interpreter. On my old machine perl is at: user/local/bin/perl and my new machine has it at: user/bin/perl I don't want to have to change all my cgi scripts when I move them to the new server. Can I just create a new directory... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingdom
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

script providing input to application prompts

Hi! I want to write a script that will create an archive (via tar) that will restrict the size of the tar file. The size can be constrained using the keyword 'k' and providing the size restriction. The problem is that the script needs to know (detect) when the tar command prompts the user (which... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mitch8
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Limitations of awk? Good idea? Bad idea?

Keeping in mind that I'm relatively comfortable with programming in general but very new to unix and korn/bourne shell scripts.. I'm using awk on a CSV file, and then performing calculations and operations on specific fields within specific records. The CSV file I'm working with has about 600... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yongho
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grepping text by providing line numbers.

Dear Friends, I have a flat file from which I want to grep line no. 7,10, 19 to 35, 37. How can it be done? Thank you in advance Anushree (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: anushree.a
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with bash script providing battery status

I'm really new to even doing a bash "hello world" script, so maybe someone would know how to do the following task, using bash scripting Need to login using ssh from one dell server into another dell server, and obtain the raid battery status, using dell's open manage software commands; then... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: AJ-102111
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Providing variable contents to awk

Hello, All. This is my first post here, and I expect that the answer is simple, but I can't find it. Might be the way I'm searching. I'm fairly new to Unix/Linux, and I'm writing a Korn Shell Script. I am trying to provide a value that is already in a variable to awk so that awk can pull out the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: compguy74
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awking string only 6 character long and providing a count

Morning Guys, I am attempting to awk a file which strings in the file is only 6 characters long and not more. Currently it is counting every line and giving a count of 59, but it should be 57 (not including the long baracode - 004705CIM*****) " awk '/./ {cnt++} END {print cnt}'... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Junes
11 Replies
GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)				       Generic Mapping Tools				      GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)

NAME
gmt_shell_functions.sh - Practical functions to be used in GMT bourne shell scripts SYNOPSIS
gmt_init_tmpdir gmt_remove_tmpdir gmt_clean_up [prefix] gmt_message message gmt_abort message gmt_nrecords file(s) gmt_nfields string gmt_get_field string gmt_get_region file(s) [options] gmt_get_gridregion file [options] gmt_get_map_width -R -J gmt_get_map_height -R -J gmt_set_psfile file gmt_set_framename prefix framenumber gmt_set_framenext framenumber DESCRIPTION
gmt_shell_functions.sh provides a set of functions to Bourne (again) shell scripts in support of GMT. The calling shell script should include the following line, before the functions can be used: . gmt_shell_functions.sh Once included in a shell script, gmt_shell_functions.sh allows GMT users to do some scripting more easily than otherwise. The functions made available are: gmt_init_tmpdir Creates a temporary directory in /tmp or (when defined) in the directory specified by the environment variable TMPDIR. The name of the temporary directory is returned as environment variable GMT_TMPDIR. This function also causes GMT to run in `isolation mode', i.e. all temporary files will be created in GMT_TMPDIR and the .gmtdefaults file will not be adjusted. gmt_remove_tmpdir Removes the temporary directory and unsets the GMT_TMPDIR environment variable. gmt_cleanup Remove all files and directories in which the current process number is part of the file name. If the optional prefix is given then we also delete all files and directories that begins with the given prefix. gmt_message Send a message to standard error. gmt_abort Send a message to standard error and exit the shell. gmt_nrecords Returns the total number of lines in file(s) gmt_nfields Returns the number of fields or words in string gmt_get_field Returns the given field in a string. Must pass string between double quotes to preserve it as one item. gmt_get_region Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the data in table file(s). Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_get_gridregion Returns the region in the form w/e/s/n based on the header of a grid file. Optionally add -Idx/dy to round off the answer. gmt_map_width Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map width in the current measurement unit. gmt_map_height Expects the user to give the desired -R -J settings and returns the map height in the current measurement unit. gmt_set_psfile Create the output PostScript file name based on the base name of a given file (usually the script name $0). gmt_set_framename Returns a lexically ordered filename stem (i.e., no extension) given the file prefix and the current frame number, using a width of 6 for the integer including leading zeros. Useful when creating animations and lexically sorted filenames are required. gmt_set_framenext Accepts the current frame integer counter and returns the next integer counter. NOTES
1. These functions only work in the bourne shell (sh) and their derivatives (like ash, bash, ksh and zsh). These functions do not work in the C shell (csh) or their derivatives (like tcsh), and cannot be used in DOS batch scripts either. 2. gmt_shell_functions.sh were first introduced in GMT version 4.2.2 and have since been regularly expanded with other practical scripting short-cuts. If you want to suggest other functions, please do so by mailing to the GMT mailing list: gmt-help@lists.hawaii.edu. SEE ALSO
GMT(1), sh(1), bash(1), minmax(1), grdinfo(1) GMT 4.5.7 15 Jul 2011 GMT_SHELL_FUNCTIONS.SH(1gmt)