Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Understanding regex behaviour when using quantifiers Post 302750267 by DGPickett on Monday 31st of December 2012 09:56:37 AM
Old 12-31-2012
This is shorter: Regular expression - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QED went to MULTICS, probably before UNIX, and became qedx, which is very close to ed and ex. Later, Waterloo ported it to FRED.

grep -E is essentially egrep is ERE.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting perl regex to sed regex

I am having trouble parsing rpm filenames in a shell script.. I found a snippet of perl code that will perform the task but I really don't have time to rewrite the entire script in perl. I cannot for the life of me convert this code into something sed-friendly: if ($rpm =~ /(*)-(*)-(*)\.(.*)/)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suntzu
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find: "weird" regex behaviour

I have these two files in current dir: oos.txt oos_(copy).txt I execute this find command:find . -regex './oos*.txt'And this outputs only the first file (oos.txt)! :confused: Only if I add another asterisk to the find find . -regex './oos*.*txt' do I also get the second file... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: courteous
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Understanding a regex

Hi, Please help me to understand the bold segments in the below regex. Both are of same type whose meaning I am looking for. find . \( -iregex './\{6,10\}./src' \) -type d -maxdepth 2 Output: ./20111210.0/src In continuation to above: sed -e 's|./\(*.\{1,3\}\).*|\1|g' Output: ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

help understanding regex with grep & sed

I have the following line of code that works wonders. I just don't completely understand it as I am just starting to learn regex. Can you help me understand exactly what is happening here? find . -type f | grep -v '^\.$' | sed 's!\.\/!!' (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: trogdortheburni
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Quick help on Understanding sed Regex

Hi Guys, Could you please kindly explain what exactly the below SED command will do ? I am quite confused and i assumed that, sed 's/*$/ /' 1. It will remove tab and extra spaces .. with single space. The issue is if it is removing tab then it should be Î right .. please assist.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nandy
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl, RegEx - Help me to understand the regex!

I am not a big expert in regex and have just little understanding of that language. Could you help me to understand the regular Perl expression: ^(?!if\b|else\b|while\b|)(?:+?\s+){1,6}(+\s*)\(*\) *?(?:^*;?+){0,10}\{ ------ This is regex to select functions from a C/C++ source and defined in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: alex_5161
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need help understanding this Regex.

Hi everyone, This regex looks simple and yet it doesn't make sense how it's manipulating the output. ifconfig -a eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:0c:49:c2:35:6v inet addr:192.16.1.1 Bcast:192.168.226.255 Mask:255.255.255.0 inet6 addr:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: xcod3r
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail K command regex: adding exclusion/negative lookahead to regex -a@MATCH

I'm trying to get some exclusions into our sendmail regular expression for the K command. The following configuration & regex works: LOCAL_CONFIG # Kcheckaddress regex -a@MATCH +<@+?\.++?\.(us|info|to|br|bid|cn|ru) LOCAL_RULESETS SLocal_check_mail # check address against various regex... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobbieTheK
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help with understanding this regex in a Perl script parsing a 'complex' string

Hi, I need some guidance with understanding this Perl script below. I am not the author of the script and the author has not leave any documentation. I supposed it is meant to be 'easy' if you're a Perl or regex guru. I am having problem understanding what regex to use :confused: The script does... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies

10. Programming

Regarding a GREAT site for understanding and Visualizing regex patterns.

Hello All, While googling on regex I came across a site named Regulex Regulex:JavaScript Regular Expression Visualizer I have written a simple regex ^(a|b|c)(*)@(.*) and could see its visualization; one could export it too, following is the screen shot. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: RavinderSingh13
3 Replies
MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm) 		User Contributed Perl Documentation		   MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm)

NAME
MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink - Linked Wikipedia by writing {{wikipedia:<lang> <word>}} DESCRIPTION
Normally, to hyperlink to the Wikipedia, you'd write: [wikipedia Hello](http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hello) This plugin lets you write just {{wikipedia Hello}} not just Link to Wikipedia in English page, you can use many languages {{wikipedia:ja a~XXa~XXa~XXa~XXa~XX}} {{wikipedia:fr Salut}} Actually, if you wrote this without a language ex.{{wikipedia Foo}}, select location of Wikipedia Link is getting default-language setting of MojoMojo. METHODS
format_content_order The WikipediaLink formatter has no special requirements in terms of the order it gets run in, so it has a priority of 17. format_content Calls the formatter. Takes a ref to the content as well as the context object. process Here the actual formatting is done. SEE ALSO
MojoMojo and Module::Pluggable::Ordered. AUTHORS
Dai Okabayashi, "bayashi at cpan . org" LICENSE
This library is free software. You can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2010-05-23 MojoMojo::Formatter::WikipediaLink(3pm)